Jordan Davis at 2?

What does this mean? Davis is faster in every facet of the game. Bigger does not mean slower. I think there is a real misunderstanding in how athletic the guy is. Go compare his RAS to Gerald’s, short yardage, 40, 3 cone, vertical it doesn’t matter Davis is faster and more explosive. I’ll give you stamina and rush moves but aside from that Davis is a far superior athlete. The comparisons you are making to these big slow lane cloggers is way off. It’s like saying Shaq is slow because Mark Eaton was, some guys are just built different.

1 Like

Here he is chasing down a pitch. He’s the guy lined up over the ball aka on the hash. Look at how fast he penetrates and flows to the ball.

4 Likes

Here’s another outside run. He chases down the back and makes the play. What Davis showed at the combine shows up on film.

4 Likes

Oh look, another back that tried to outrun Jordan Davis to the outside.

2 Likes

Dude’s gonna get more penetration on opposing OLs than Stafford does with Kelly. Daaaayum!

3 Likes

That team should have made a Cincinnati Bengals-like run back then

2 Likes

The guy from CBSSports thinks he should be considered a 2nd rounder.

1 Like

We have seen peak Suh. He aint better than that because he cant move like Suh and isnt as strong

Davis I would be happy with if we had both Saints picks and used one to nab him.

But he is a less athletic Shawn Rogers or a more athletic Pat Williams. Not spending 2OA on that

1 Like

There’s no coherent argument to be made for Davis at 2. In a trade down(or 2?), yes. I would love to have him, but I would much rather have an elite EDGE like KT or Hutch. If we could somehow add them both(trade up in Round 1 if he slides?) - yes please.

But are you sure hutch or KT are elite? In this class? I’m not sure. I’d call them probably very good. But if the Lions want an elite player, I’m leaning towards Awesome Sauce.

1 Like

It really is a mess. I truly don’t know what to think in terms of overdrafting, or who to take at which spots. LOL.

Davis and Willis are the dudes I most target.

2 Likes

I actually think he compares favorably to Shaun Rogers. As I have said previously, the athleticism flashes on film. The combine wasn’t a fluke.

3 Likes

It is similar, and he does, except Rogers could rush the passer.

Jordan Davis nor T Walker were really needed to rush the passer. The team had 8 million sacks.

Saying a guy who is superior in every movement metric to Gerald McCoy… can’t be as athletic seems odd. Jordan Davis was asked to play NT because the opposition needed at least one OG and the C to stop him from bulldozing the QB on EVERY SINGLE PLAY…

The same reason that the 7’ kid from Gonzaga plays center. Chet and drip, drop and shoot, hit the 3, but he’s 7 feet tall so he plays in the paint.

The Ravens had Sam Adams and Goose… The Steelers had Casey Hampton. The Pats had Vince Wilfork… I have a feeling that if Davis really wanted to rush the QB, he could. He has no trouble running down RBs laterally?

3 Likes

Of course he can. And in that light, its why I see alot of Shaun Rogers in his game. We had Rogers maintain integrity in his rush lane a majority of the time. But occasionally we would let him loose, and his lateral quickness and explosiveness would show. Davis is in a similar situation. They had him maintaining his rush lane alot. But occasionally they let him loose, and his athletic ability is clear.

Here’s an example of a play where he looked like Shaun Rogers. Right after the snap Davis has already beat the center with his lateral quickness. Alot of other players are barely out of their stances, and Davis has already sidestepped and is on his way to the passer. The guard tries to help, but its already too late due to how fast Davis got into the backfield. He got the sack.

If a team wants him to rush the passer more, they need to let him loose and get him involved in rush schemes…like the other “pass rushers” in any draft. What they asked of him most of the time was different. But he can do it if a team wants him to.

Here’s what happened to open the championship game when they involved Davis is a delayed DT/DE stunt. He got to the QB for an apparent sack fumble that was returned for a touchdown.

1 Like

Nice.

Im not taking Shaun Rogers at 2 OA however.

1 Like

I know this has been brought up, but the concern I keep having over UGA defenders is the collective. McShay was just on ESPN and essentially said that Walker was used primarily to blow up scheme, allowing other players to shine. There was obviously a collective impact which benefitted all of the players. In this case, sum > parts.

To say another way, if Georgia was simply overwhelming opposing offenses with a massive amount of talent, especially upfront (which appears to be the case), I have to take that into account when debating an individual’s performance. It makes me pause on Walker, Davis, and to an extent, Dean (maybe even Cine). Not that they’re not worthy, but what would KT or Hutch do beside a Walker or Davis? I think you have to at least ask the question.

4 Likes

So what you are saying is Shaun Rogers grades out as a better athlete than Suh?

Davis grades out as a better athlete that Suh does according to RAS and you are saying Davis is a less athletic Shaun Rogers, which would make Shaun Rogers the most athletic DT we have ever seen. I am not sure I agree with your assessment of Shaun Rogers athletic prowess. :wink:

2 Likes

Ahhhh, the old “So that’s why Brockers looked so good in LA and like wet dogshit here” effect in reverse.

Check.

3 Likes