Jordan Love to become a top paid QB

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jordan-loven-nfl-contract-projection-green-bay-packers-2024/

So multiple reports saying the Packers want to extend Love and make him a “Top paid QB”

Meaning around $50m AAV.

See this chart of the current top 10 AAV

So that means Goff will likely get a similar deal. It is what it is. But you HAVE to do it.

HOWEVER DONT PANIC!

I think they could make a very nice deal and get goff a 4 year $200m extension. And it not hurt the team as bad as you think. Heres what that contract could look like

The cap goes up 6% every year.
They structure Goffs contract to match that rate increae. rework 2024 then 4 more years. Plus a few void years at the end.

You could keep it around a 16% cap hit the next 5 years. Not bad at all considering he was a 15-13.6% cap hit in 2022-2024

2 Likes

I was hoping that would happen. Let’s hope he’s just a one year wonder. He wasn’t really good at the beginning of the year. Maybe he got his Scott Mitchell half a season of decent play for a big contract. That’s a lot of money for a QB they were unsure about less than a year ago. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

It’s the guaranteed money that’s important. I still think a good contract for Goff is 47 annual, backloaded with a voidable year and 140 guaranteed

Not top money but he also already got one payday and isn’t looking to test free agency

1 Like

Pony up for this OL first!

In Disner we trust.

1 Like

yep, no point paying Goff big money if we can’t keep him clean.

1 Like

They are paying Goff 50 mill a year if he takes less
It is because he wants that line stabilized in front of him. But if he takes more he is not who we think he is.

That’s a pretty extreme statement. Would you take less at your job than market value? No QB does it on his own and all need players around them to succeed. It’s Brad and the team’s job to work around his contract. I used to think Stafford was as good as we were going to do at QB. From a pure talent perspective he might be. But Goff brings intangibles, that to me anyway, make him the best QB the Lions have had in my long, miserable life. It would be great if he gave us a hometown discount, but I wouldn’t think less of him if he didn’t. It’s most likely time to pony up.

4 Likes

Goff is the best system QB I have seen. His timing and accuracy are unmatched IMO.
Question, if he was to hit the FA market, how many teams are looking for a system QB? I don’t believe too many, most teams are looking for a QB that can make throws on the move or able to run away from pressure on a broken play.
What is his value to other teams if he was a FA?

I can say that he wouldn’t be unemployed for long. Can we agree that Brad is one of the top 3 GMs in the league? If Goff is good enough for Brad and he’s a QB that’s brought the most downtrodden team in NFL history to the brink of a Super Bowl, being his 2nd in his first 8 years, then why do you question his qualifications or abilities? Besides, what do I care what 29 other GMs would do? At least 28 of them are wishing they were the Lions right about now. I think too many fans get caught up with the fascination of a running QB, like Josh Allen, and overlook the intangibles that Goff brings. Even after rushing for 72 yards, Allen is parked on his couch this weekend, while Goff is getting ready to play in the NFCCG.

what he looks like to me is a ‘mobile enough to extend the play a couple seconds until someone breaks wide open’ kind of qb. very much like rodgers. I don’t think Love is a bad QB, but I think if you can contain him with pressure he’s not as good.

1 Like

Agreed. My wishful thinking is that he starts to suck. :joy:

1 Like

Yes. I think if you contain him, much like Erin, he becomes much less dangerous. I’ll take my chances with Love throwing from the pocket. A few rough and unexpected pops in the lower back would do him some good too.

That’s what she said.

1 Like

While Goff’s agent may not want Goff to take any “hometown discount”, Goff knows that had he not come to Detroit, he probably would have been cut after his first season here. He has a coach/GM that believe in him. He knows while he may find success elsewhere in the league, it won’t be Detroit.

Detroit is now a FA destination. Just imagine if CJ & Moseley hadn’t gotten hurt. Just imagine if our O-line stayed healthy all year. This game would be at FF on Sunday and we’d be the big favorites.

For sure. I hope he gives us a discount as it would make things easier. But, in his mind, like it would be in all of our minds, he’s part of the reason, if not most of the reason, for the success of the 2023 Lions. Aside from maybe a few months to maybe his first year here, I don’t think he ever lost confidence in himself. He has the skill of almost always going to the right spot with the ball. Not saying that Matt didn’t, but look at how many of his throws in Detroit were contested. I know a lot of that is on the receivers, but they’re never getting open? Matt seems to be better at it now, but perhaps he got better after he left the Lions too.

The best comparison I have is TB12.

Goff is very similar and the offense is also very similar.

It is the accuracy and pre-snap reads that separate him for me from the true “system” QB moniker. Goff is an elite level QB now and is able to change plays and protections on the fly. He may not be as successful as TB12 or as able to call plays at the line as well as Peyton but he is not far behind.
I think Purdy is more of a pure system guy who right now struggles with the defensive window dressing and pre-snap reads. Time will tell if he levels up but right now he can be fooled and confused. If the “play” is not there he is not great figuring out where to go….yet.

1 Like

Pay him his money. I hope he keeps throwing into triple coverage on 2nd down with the game on the line. What an idiot throw with 2 more downs left. If the Packers pay him big they are idiots.

1 Like

Well I agree that 9 games of good play does not make you an elite anything.

GB is in a pickle with Love and his contract. They kind of have no choice but to pay him. Only the coaches really know if he is progressing and has the band width to advance and if he able to read and change plays at the line.

I am hoping he is a flash in the pan.

1 Like

I’m also in the camp where Goff is definitely making over 50 a year.

3 Likes

Sounds good. Would he take that?

1 Like