Josh Reynolds- 2 years up to 12M

I agree with most of your sentiment. I however would say that we would have a good start for our WR room…great would be if they perform so well that they make it a no brainer to keep Goff.

Pay da Man, Dan!

Bingo! Hock and St. Brown are probably are 2 biggest weapons in the passing game but neither are that fast. Reynolds and Cephus are possession WR’s as well. We need someone to take the top off the defense and threaten safeties deep. That will really open up the middle of the field for St. Brown, Hock and Swift.

The only question would be is Goff able to make those deep passes if we add a speedster!?

2 Likes

Yes to all of this.

Goff needs a super-clean pocket and space to step into the throw to make a deep pass…the OL will have to be damn near flawless on plays where we opt to go with the deep route that needs time to develop, because Goff doesn’t have the strength to just fling it without being set and stepping into it.

WRs will have to be perfect too, especially in separation, because Goff is really scared to throw a pick, and doesnt’ have the stomach of a gambler.

…AND…Goff will learn to trust more. I guarantee he will learn to trust his OL and WRs more…but how much more? Will he learn to trust HIMSELF more?

1 Like

We saw his confidence increase a lot the last 6 games of the season. He actually took a few shots down field to Reynolds late in the season and he was stepping into throws much better. Early in the season he was drifting out of the pocket backwards and it led to many sacks that could have been avoided.

2 Likes

Trusting OL. :wink:
He needs some trustworthy WRs that can win 50/50 balls too. St.Brown of Motown is trustworthy…and we’ll also loosen up the D with a speed WR (likely from draft)…there will be improvement that will ripple to more improvement.

My biggest concern is the fumble when pressured thing. That can’t be a thing. He needs to toughen up in that way.

Cut down on sacks by trusting OL - Fantastic.
WRs fiiiiinally running the proper route for him (that was probably a bigger “thing” than ppl realize).

T-Deck and Ragnow will help a ton.
Improved run game will help a ton.
All of this will give him more time and confidence.

2 Likes

He’s 28. He will be 29 at the start of the season. Most wrs can play well into their 30s. In a 4 year contract he may just see a slight dip in year 4. And he’s a lot more proven as a playmaker than guys like Christian Kirk.

Yea, I’d be interested at the right price on a 2 or 3 year deal. He could be very expensive though.

Wow, a good receiver is going to cost 15M plus a year.

1 Like

This is not true.

As a percentage… VERY few WRs maintain a high level of play in their 30s.
Here is a link to the top single season yardage seasons for WRs in NFL history… and the player age is listed as well. Not many of the top 250 are turned in by players >30 yo.

2 Likes

Sure, for one season.

A 30something could have strung together a nice 3 year run and not made the list if one wasn’t 1200+ receiving yds.

Or those on the list might have followed up with a nice 2 year run.

Maybe there are some with TDs and receptions, just not big yardage.

Enlighten me… throw some names out there.

There used to be a lot of WR’s performing well into their 30’s but in recent years WR’s have struggled to produce past 30.

What happened to the Chris Carters, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Wes Welker, and Chad Johnsons.

Why is it WR’s aren’t producing much last 30 anymore when it used to be fairly common?

Because all the WR’s today are assholes and everyone’s done with them by then?

2 Likes

I think maybe it’s how fast and athletic these young corners are nowadays. Every year they are breaking records at the combine. Hard for guys in their 30’s not to start slowing down a bit. Hopefully it happens to Davante Adams, who turns 30 this year as well.

1 Like

There are some guys who can stay productive… but the original assertion was that “most” WRs continue tpo be productive into their 30s.

If we have to go back 20 years to get a list of 5 guys… it’s not that common.

Also… BTW… Welker and Ocho Cinco are not great names for that list. They each had only 1 good year after age 30. Larry Fitz would have been a good one.

Hines Ward, Terrell Owens, and Steve Smith as well.

Anquan Boldin.

1 Like

Don’t know.

It’d be interesting to see. I’m not sold that 30 is the death wish for a WR.

Good one, he was still playing well at 36 years old for the Lions