Just got a 160k BTU outdoor wok burner. Give me your best stir fry recipes!

This is something that I’ve been saving up for since around 2019. I even had to be put on a two month long waiting list to get.

Ive got Kenji Lopez-Alt’s Wok cookbook, but I still want all of your best stir-fry and/or chinese food recipes.

Im expecting a hige learning curve, but I can’t wait to actually achieve wok hei on dishes like Kung Pao. Wok hei is impossible on a regular home stovetop, so this is a big deal for a food dork like me.

4 Likes

Need a pic!!

1 Like

Do stovetop woks not come with a hei setting, just medium and Lo?

Mein, that’s racist!

3 Likes

Like to get a chunk of rump steak and velvet it up. sautee some garlic shallots and peppers in some neutral oil or tallow then your beef. Add some oyster sauce, soynsauce, sesame saice…drop in some green beans or broccoli. sautee until desired tenderness

top with sesame seeds some green onions and enjoy

My very first cooking gig was a fine dining pan Asian wok centric place in Chicago. They’d did like 6-700 covers on a busy Saturday night. Initially I got completely assailed. Crashed and burned hard. Little 4’11" Chinese women exec just letting me have it (in an open kitchen). The sound of the receipts printing taunting me as I’d get further in further in the weeds. Trying to be poker faced in this hip joint as the wall of worry climbs my insides. And then … you figure it out. But bad culinary shifts, man … there just are no words.

1 Like

I like the American Wok centric place in Streeterville…the Weber Grill restaurant. The smoke coming out of that place was amazing to smell.

Oops it’s River North, west of Mag Mile not east.

2 blocks away, Fado’, great Irish pub

Big fan of Kenji as well. Awesome to hear other den members are fans. I just use a torch for mediocre wok hei. You are gonna get some excellent wok hei with that wok burner!

1 Like

I’ve walked by there never went in. This was Red Light. Fulton Market. Looks like from reviews it went to shit but Chef Jackie Chen ( :laughing: for real) was talented and mean just how it’s supposed to be. Was bumping back then.

1 Like

needs to just relax…maybe take the dog for a wok

3 Likes

Just not by the Korean restaurant

1 Like

My carbon steel wok got delayed by Amazon, and its raining for the next 3 days … so I’m definitely aching to get this thing to use.

But at least it’s put together.

1 Like

Which Wok did you get? Yosukata?

I considered them but I went with this one instead:

https://a.co/d/02v6GcU

Nice choice!

1 Like

You got it!

1 Like

He is probably my biggest influence. Especially since I started off with getting into cooking with sous vide, and he was a pioneer of that before it became all the rage.

1 Like

Sweet but I am ignorant to how to use it … abit jealous the…. I’m thinking there should be a few wicked ways to cook salmon ….

1 Like

I want a wok burner! Jealous my friend :slight_smile: