Justin Fields 2nd Act

I’m sure HSV will be quick to counter this post, and I will welcome it once again…

A) the Bears 1st team has been spanked both games

B) Fields only PT has been against 2nd- 4th team defensive players.

C) Fields put together 45% completions, no tds and 4 yards per “attempt” this week against the scrub squad.

Figure his only 2 significant collections have gone to a wide open Jesse James.

How many times was Jesse James running wide open against at real NFL players the last 2 years? I don’t recall many.

I get his fast, strong, and has a big arm. He also struggles badly with progressions, overthrows guys a lot, and almost got himself killed by misdiagnosing a blitz by moving his blocker away from a blitzing edge.

This weeks struggle is no more a just indictment of him than last week a just coronation. That said, the knock on him was that he was an elite athlete capable of huge plays with wide open receivers who are superior athletes, but he was slow to process what he was seeing, and struggled with progressions.

His proclamation that the game seems “slow to him” against sub practice squad level competition makes me question his emotional readiness as well.

5 Likes

I was anti Fields as well.
The few times I watched him play, both good and bad, Fields was the same player. His vision was to one side of the field and he was a 2 read only and run QB.
I’m not saying the guy is not a talented athlete, he just played in a program that took advantage of both his superior athletic ability and the athletes surrounding him.
I do believe he will become a good starting NFL QB. However I believe it will be for another team 4 years down the road.

Well from a lions perspective, I hope either a) he’s no good or b) the bears screw him up.

Just like tonight for the lions, I’m not gonna get too too excited over anything that happens. I think teams go out and work on specific things regardless of what the other team is/isn’t doing.

As far as the bears go I am curious what they end up doing, even if Nagy said he wants to give fields the chance to sit and learn regardless of his job status, at the same time it’s probably gonna be his job on the line this year. I could see him sticking to his guns and starting dalton for a few games but if things start to go south he’s gonna put fields in I would think. But who knows.

Looking forward to the lions working on their curveballs tonight!!!

1 Like

Do we need a thread for this guy every single game ?

We getting Malik Willis next year

3 Likes

Sorry, didn’t realize the board was moving sa fast with new topics. :man_bald:

5 Likes

That’s right. Time to start the 2022 Draft Prospect Thread

1 Like

They were down BIG so fast it was easy to just pin your ears back and go after the guy. The Bills have some serious talent on their DL, old and new.

1 Like

Welcome to the NFL Mr. Fields, you are not @ Ohio State anymore!

5 Likes

Wow! Is that the play he misdiagnosed the blitz?

Step #1, let’s not get this thread locked, ok guys?

Step #2, just imagine what he could do behind our O-line.

And no, I don’t think it’s necessary to have threads on this guy every single week.

And yeah, we are getting Malik Willis.

1 Like

Didn’t watch this game at all, but I think in the last one the announcers were saying that the Bears have a ton of injuries to their OL.

I stick by my assessment from last week that Fields will play like a rookie if he does this season. Some wow plays but also a lot of wtf ones as well.

1 Like

I just want to make it known that if Fields is a flop…I am one of the guys who had faith in him.

2 Likes

There’s something you don’t see every day.

MC/DC, Saleh, etc are on the other end of the spectrum from guys like Nagy.

Nagy stepped into a team and went 12-4 trying to copy the Any Reid scheme. He had a cheap rookie QB, some decent RBs, a fairly talented WR room and a very some great individual defensive players.

The scheme near evolved. The defensive players have aged. None of those RBs stuck with team, and their #1 WR is now on the tag…

Will they resign Allen Robinson who turns 28 in a few days? He will either be gone as a free agent, or signing an 80MM contract while turning “29” next year. If so they will be out their WR1 or saddled with a bad contract well after his prime.

They will be in the final year of Montgomery’s contracts and R Smith as well. K Mack will be 31 and 32 the next 2 years with 30MM a year cap hits each year and huge dead money

My point?

Fields is likely on the most talented version of the Bears he will see in the next 2-3 years. If they rush him out there, it could hinder his development. If they don’t, he could be starting on a team with no Robinson or K Mack and expected to carry the team.

This is why I love the Goff trade. He’s fine. Better than Dalton, better then D Jones, better than Carr, better than Newton etc… reasonable cap hit for 2 years, actually the key is it’s reasonable for all 4!

In 1 year we will either have a promising rookie sitting behind Goff who will be playing for his career, or Goff will have proven the guy.

If we have a rookie QB this time next year, he will surely have 1 more solid WR, in addition to Swift, Hock, and this OL and plenty of resources for the D

2 Likes

Maybe not, but I welcome it. I didn’t see this question last week.

Right, but if your o-line is beat up and your down 35 points, why play your 1st round golden boy in the 4th quarter of a meaningless preseason game? That’s on the Bears coaches in my book. Can’t take many hits like that if you want him to have a long career.

Yikes! That was shot!

If the blitzed had gone lower imho- fields would have gotten his head (back of it) smacked into the ground with enough force to concuss him…. Wow

That’s a good summary man, right on and I definitely agree with and like what you laid out!

Aren’t they still paying draft picks too for Mack or is that over now?

He was on horseback

1 Like

I don’t buy this “excuse” for how bad he was. No one cares about winning or losing in pre-season games. The Bears didn’t adjust their gameplan or “air it out” instead of balance because of the score. If this was a regular season game, sure - but it’s not. The score/situation had very little no impact on the plays called. I could very well be wrong, but I said after the slurp-fest last week, he’s going to bust.

He has never had to be a QB that creates for himself. At Ohio State week in and week out, he has a clean pocket with very little to no pressure, a great running game making Play-Action almost money, that was always my issue with him. Hard to evaluate him because he never has been forced to make quick reads every snap, throw guys open, read defenses, etc.

I stand by my statement. I’m not worried about him at all. He’s not a great NFL QB, imo.