Justin Fields to DET?

For what it’s worth (virtually nothing), I’m doing simulated mock drafts on multiple sites and consistently having shots at either Fields, Wilson or Lance, or sometimes a choice of two of them.

2 Likes

Yeah, PFF’s had the Falcons taking Fields. I just don’t see how that makes sense from a financial and football standpoint.

I wouldn’t be surprised with it right now going…

1. JAX -> Lawrence
  2. NYJ -> Sewell
  3. MIA -> Chase or Parsons
  4. ATL -> Surtain or Parsons
  5. CIN -> Rousseau or Parsons
  6. PHI ->Smith or Chase
  7. DET -> Fields

Per Latest Tankathon:

JAX - 1 Trevor Lawrence QB | Clemson 6’6"220 lbs
NYJ - 2 Justin Fields QB | Ohio State 6’3"228 lbs
MIA - 3 Penei Sewell OT | Oregon 6’6" 325 lbs
ATL - 4 Micah Parsons OLB/ILB | Penn State 6’3" 244 lbs
CIN - 5 Ja’Marr Chase WR | LSU 6’1" 200 lbs
PHI - 6 Gregory Rousseau EDGE | Miami 6’6" 251 lbs
DET -7 Devonta Smith WR | Alabama 6’1" 175 lbs
NYG -8 Patrick Surtain II CB | Alabama 6’2" 203 lbs
CAR - 9 Zach Wilson QB | BYU 6’3" 210 lbs
DEN - 10 Trey Lance QB | North Dakota State 6’4" 226 lbs

We could drop below the Giants if both lose. Strength of schedules are so similar it will depend on next weeks results.

I want a QB, but Devonta Smith… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, I guess it depends on how their previous opponents fare next week. The Giants are the only team close to the Lions SoS so they should safely “beat out” the other teams if they end up tied. Freaking Atlanta and Houston had to blow it this week, didn’t they? Would be sitting at 5 now.

I get the mocks saying a WR for us because of our current situation and lack of bodies in the position room. As fans of the team though, who have to actually WATCH Jahlani Tavai play football, we know that defense is a bigger need. I personally think we need a full scale rebuild and that Fields is a generational talent at the most important position that we might have a need at, but it’s defense after him for me. Maybe I’d take Zach Wilson over a big time defender like Parsons, but I don’t see the upside I do with Fields.

For me, I would go with these options in the first rd

1. A QB (Wilson>Fields>Lance)
  2. Parsons
  3. WR and then look to extend Stafford

Obviously trade Stafford with option 1, either this year or next.

This team needs so much

I’m really not that worried. We have two bigger hurdles/opportunities before then.

The HC and GM hires are more important then one draft. Got to go 2/2 there. If we do it will work itself out. If not we’ll reboot again in three to four years.

3 Likes

IMO, most likely scenario NEXT WEEK - DET loses to Queens, @ Home PHI beats WAS. @NYG DAL beats NYG. DET climbs to #6…Anything higher is fantasyland, realistically. DET dream scenario, if they want Defense 1st Round, is Parsons & Rousseau available at #6…Might Happen…If they want Offense, then DET could have 2 QB’s to select from OR 2 WR studs, which realistically, DET needs whether Golladay is resigned or not. Trading down is not assumed here for now. - GOALPOST

1 Like

Considering we’re looking at a three-year rebuild minimally before true contention, it doesn’t really matter in what order all the many needs are addressed.

I’m of a mind that you move on from Stafford now because it makes sense for the team, and for him, this offseason. Leverage the most valuable chip for the rebuild for draft capital you can give the new regime. Otherwise the window-of-opportunity matchup is just kind of weird. And yet again we’re doing a “reboot” while leaving major vestiges of what came before. When this team has needed a full reboot for a half-decade at least.

3 Likes

No doubt but I still want the higher pick. There’s a big difference between 3-7 if the lose and something like 11-14 if they win.

Fields isn’t going to be there when the Lions pick.
Some team will either take him ahead of Detroit or someone will trade up for him.
Denver, Dallas, Atlanta, Carolina, San Fran, Washington, New England, and even Jets, Raiders, and Giants could all be in the market for QBs.

Somebody will make a move maybe it will be Detroit.

1 Like

I watched Fields play vs Northwestern in the big 10 championship, was not impressed at all. He looked like a mid round talent to me. He was 12 of 27 for 114 yards, 0 TD’s and 2 ints, ouch. I came away thinking this guy has big time accuracy problems which is going to be a real problem in the nfl.

He better play well in the next round or he’s going to drop massively in the draft.

Fields is gonna be a fascinating evaluation, this upcoming semifinal means more to him than any prospect I can remember. What worries me most about him is his decision making, and after 12 years of watching an elite talent at QB with questionable decision-making, I’m not sure I can do it again.

That said, a year behind Stafford could be a godsend for him. I actually think he needs more time than any of the other guys, including Lance. I know that sounds nuts, but he’s benefitted big time from the talent around him, and the history of Ohio State QBs says that might be something to look at.

I wonder what Buckeye super-homer NYL thinks of him?

1 Like

Fields will bust in NFL as with all O$U QBs. The guy just isn’t smart. Like Okudah, he’s overrated because of the vast majority of superior talent around him. I read an article where they give him one side of the field to read. If nothing is there, run.

2 Likes

It seems like Fields regressed this year. If this team is hell-bent on drafting a Stafford replacement in the first round (which I don’t get) I’d rather it be Zach Wilson at BYU. I think he’s a more accurate QB and I don’t think you lose that much athleticism with him over Fields. Trade down if you can and get Wilson.

The worry with Wilson is he might be a douche, there’s a lot of smoke out there about that. We have to do our due diligence, and if it turns out he’s simply arrogant, well that’s OK. A lot of great QBs are arrogant. But they can’t be douches.

1 Like

Because he won’t resign for RT money when he can get LT somewhere else.