Justin Fields to DET?

Wilson seems to have some major character problems for the people who like him better than Fields. Every QB besides Lawrence seems to have a catch.

Fields really needs to sit behind a competent QB for at least a year. His whole career will come down to his going someplace that will develop him or not.

If he falls to the Lions wherever they’re picking and they’re keeping Stafford, I’d be good with the selection. A QB room of Stafford, Daniels, and Fields is fine.

Ok, I don’t get this thing with OSU QBs and how all of them are guaranteed busts. Please explain how the failure of past QBs are connected to Fields in any way.

And until that game, he led the nation in completion percentage.

Against horrible teams that is. And Northwestern isn’t exactly a powerhouse either.

Here’s every throw he made, it’s ugly.

OSU runs a system and has a talent advantage that he won’t see in the pros. Haskins looked good in college because he wasnt asked to make reads and just dumped the ball off to wide open 5 star WRs. Does Fields only look good for the same reasons?

Don’t act like his schedule last year didn’t involve 3 top 15 wins which he excelled in. Northwestern also has one of the best schemed defenses in college. If you disagree with that, why is Pat Fitzgerald’s name coming up as an NFL option?

I’ll be honest, haven’t seen Fields play very much other than the Big 10 championship this year. The only game I saw this year, he was terrible, I don’t care about last year, that OSU team was completely loaded last year. And Northwestern’s amazing defense you speak of only allowed 331 yards rushing to Surmon in the same game, lol. If it wasn’t for Fields throwing so many interceptions, fumbles, and suicide passes, they would have won by 40.

I’ll be watching closely vs Clemson on Jan 1st.

So it’s not like a good defensive coach gameplanned for the best player on the field or anything by abandoning his run defense which was top 6 nationally to stop Fields or anything.

Watch the video link I shared above, there are wide open OSU WR’s all over the field.

If he plays great vs Clemson, I will happily give him credit.

Please clarify the difference between arrogance and a douche. I’m just curious. Because I feel like Tom Brady is both of those, and they kind of go hand in hand.

What is the word on Wilson? Is it because he took two high school girls to prom (or was that someone else?)

UStadium put out something about that and detailed it a bit more. It made Zach Wilson sound like the QB version of Patricia.

1 Like

Right on. I just remember hearing about Tom Brady running down the sideline “shooting” with his hands the other teams sideline, and from stories I’ve heard of him at UM, the guy is a monumental jerk.

I guess I was just wondering what the difference between arrogant and douche was, and why it matters. Johnny manziel was one too but failed miserably… I dunno.

It’s a fine line, admittedly. A douche is generally unliked by his teammates, and often puts himself above his teammates. Think Ryan Leaf, Jeff George for awhile, or this latest Haskins episode.

Now of course there’s quite a lot of athletes who have been disliked and won anyway. Jordan, Kobe Bryant, perhaps Brady, as you say. But they earned respect from their maniacal work ethic and competitiveness. That’s the sort of arrogant I mean, and I would classify them as assholes rather than douches lol. The sporting world is full of very talented assholes. Most of them, in fact. And they’re assholes to their teammates because of their maniacal drive to win. That’s the difference.

I think, lol.

1 Like

Haha ok that’s a very good explanation! I get it. Essentially, you can be an arrogant asshole, but if you are able to gain the respect of your team and be a model leader based on work ethic, you can then be a change agent or leader as opposed to all about yourself.

I agree with that and I gotcha now! People all about themselves can have the same personality traits, but if they have a commitment to excellence and hold themselves to a higher standard and therefore the team to a higher standard, will be more successful.

I am down with that.

1 Like

Fields is very intriguing to me. I’ve seen him make incredible throws and then I’ve seen him make some downright idiotic throws. I think his biggest issue is he always wants to make a play instead of just getting rid of the ball. Tannehill and Hurts did the same thing yesterday. Sometimes you just have to be willing to throw it away. That being said, he was just terrible in the northwestern game. Didn’t look like himself at all. I wouldn’t write him off after a bad game. Time to see what he’s got against a great Clemson team.

1 Like

We’ll know before the draft whether or not they’re going QB… Stafford will be traded in March before his bonus hits 5 days into the new league year. I don’t think the Lions would draft a QB top 10 and sit him for a year to spend $35 million for a lame duck year of Stafford.

As someone that has seen exactly one good QB in a Lions uniform…in my lifetime, you can likely understand my nervousness about moving on from him. LOL.

Any college QB makes me nervous. Herbert looks great, so far. Tua…not sold on him. Same with Burrows. Dudes like Haskins and Darnold, more of the same. Not nearly as enthusiastic about any of them, as I’m guessing I view it as more of a crapshoot than almost all of you dudes. I’ve been seeing it for years. There were people thinking Sanchez was better than Stafford…Leaf better than Manning. I watched Andre Ware and Rodney Peete.

LOL - IMO, the phenomenon is amplified by our team (less likely to do as well as the rest of the league, which has done poorly).

5 Likes

Agreed. I have yet to see Ohio state produce a quality pro quarterback. Haskins was one of their best and he couldn’t last two seasons as a first round draft pick.

So can someone please explain why Fields has any ties to previous OSU QBs at all?

So here’s my excuse for Haskins. He wasn’t really given a chance in his first year because the coaching staff didn’t want him, so they intentionally stunted his growth. Then this year, we saw massive ego problems develop which have almost nothing to do with his on field play. I think if it weren’t for his off the field antics, he’d still be on the roster.