Kenneth Walker III sitting out Peach Bowl

I will keep my ‘overall’ opinions on sitting out bowls to myself for a minute here…

In Walker’s case specifically, he is a great player who does not appear to be super team oriented. He transferred before this year, to a new team, where he dominated (and really helped carry them to a few wins). And now he is electing to not play in a New Year’s 6 (7?) bowl, despite the significant blow that will deal to his team’s chances. It is a pattern of operation that suggests he is working hard to get to the NFL, and that is his primary goal. I am not saying this is positive or negative, it just seems to be the case from the outside.

Now, motivation in the NFL can come from a lot of things that are not based on ‘love for the team.’ Some guys just want to be the best, regardless of who they play for. Some want to maximize performance so they can maximize their contracts. Others are simply football junkies who only care about playing (and maybe less about who they play for). They can all be good contributors on a team.

Now, do the Lions want that mindset on their team? Maybe they are OK with it, as long as he puts in the work. Maybe not. I think the early draft results and FA signings/cuts indicate that devotion to the game is a key component, maybe devotion to the ‘team’ concept is too?

Why dont they pay the players to play in the bowl games?

Seems they just wanna keep all the $$$$$ to themselves.

1 Like

It’s not just about chasing the money. It’s about planning for and chasing their future.(which yeah, it’s about money)Making a solid choice regarding one’s future tells a lot about a players mind set. Do you gamble your future on a game or two that has little up side? Sure, team is important, but an individuals future is more important. If a young man suffers a career ending injury, what does he have? Settling for a ‘regular’ job? I wouldn’t. I’m in favor of these kids not only being compensated for any post regular season games, but providing them with some type of insurance policy that will pay them if they DO suffer an injury while playing in these games. It will not only offer some type of security (although security is a myth), but I’m sure more players would play in post season games. Post season games offer a shit load of money to be made, just NOT for the ones PLAYING in it. They take all the risk yet reap minimal-if any- reward.

1 Like

Well that sucks.

This is what the 32nd pick in the first got last year:

Pick No. 32: Joe Tryon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Total contract value: $11.2 million
  • Signing bonus: $5.5 million

That’s a lot of money to put on the table and lose if you’re injured if you expect to go in the first. Especially at a position that is not as revered as it once was in the NFL. Second contracts are difficult to earn big money on.

I won’t fault any of these guys for looking out for their futures.

5 Likes

Another benefit of expanding the CFP to 12 teams; less players will opt out.

2 Likes

I dunno, 12 seems like a lot, but I do like to watch football. I’d go with 8. Divide the whole country into 8 major conferences with the conference winners competing in the playoffs. If you don’t want to be in a conference (hey, Notre Dame, yeah, I’m talking to YOU)you don’t get to participate. Yeah, tough tittie, join a conference or sit out.
Also, as I’ve mentioned in other posts, compensate these players for any post regular season games along with some type of insurance in case of injury. College football hauls in shit loads of money. Let the ones that actually put themselves on the line in on it.

1 Like

12 might work if the top four teams had byes in the 1st round. 5 vs 12, 6 vs 11, 7 vs10, 8 vs 9. - Winners move on to face the top 4 seeds. Probably too many games though. That could be 15-16 games for some teams in a college season, prob too much.

I’d be happy with 8.

Piss on byes. Hate byes. That’s pussy football. Play the fuckin games or stay home and watch on TV.

Yes that was for the championship…but Kenneth Walker or Pickett ain’t playin for the championship. And even playing for a championship this cost McGahee BIG TIME!

1 Like

It sucks for the matchup, but this is 100% the right thing to do for Walker. The fans aren’t going to pay him if he tears up his knee and doesn’t go until Day 2. The young man has to protect his future.

3 Likes

lol ur right. Brady is clearly a pussy for earning so many byes in his career.

2 Likes

I believe Willis Mcgahee had insurance and he collected on it for getting hurt in the bowl game.

Also, it has been said NCAAF is headed towards 2 super conferences. One would be the SEC, and the other would probably be the B10. But, at that point it would be called the B25 or something.

EDIT: So Willis couldn’t collect because his policy was only if he could never play football again. But Jaylen Smith had an insurance policy for not only if he could never play again but also if he dropped outta the 1st round.

Source:

1 Like

Brady is a pussy though.

1 Like

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

1 Like

I like 12, more meaningful games played and the first two rounds played at the higher seeds stadium which is the second reason for 12 teams.

Be some great games and even more fun we would see southern teams having to play in the northern climate; AL or UGA at PSU, OSU or WI in Dec…

12 is dumb. There basically only 2/3 teams that can win it every year. This isn’t college basketball. So if you add 12 play extra games that won’t risk you to have a injury? This generation is nothing more then pampers.

Psu wouldn’t be in. Lol

8 teams, power 5 champs and 3 at large. First round played at home team.
This year that gives us…
Bama, UM, Utah, Pitt, Baylor… at large ND, Cincinnati, UGA.

Home games at Bama, UM, UGA, Cincinnati.

Watching that Willis MaGahee hit live literally made me nauseous. I don’t get nauseous veru easily,

hence my team affiliation apparently

4 Likes