Kenneth Walker III sitting out Peach Bowl

Unless you’re in the CFP or your agent (excuse me, “unpaid advisor/family friend”) thinks you could seriously improve your stock, I think it’s crazy for any projected first-rounder to play in a meaningless bowl game. And that x100 for running backs, where you literally have a certain number of snaps you’re going to play in your professional career, and that number is generally quite low.

Maybe it’s not all business-driven if it’s like the Rose Bowl or something where you’ve always dreamed of playing. But, like, risking your professional future for free, so that a bunch of multimillionaires can make millions more selling the Burger Chef You Want Fries with That Bowl? Seriously???

If this is the last time in your life in a uniform, before you have to go out and get a job like everybody else, then enjoy every minute of it, you deserve it. But if you’re a projected first-rounder, you’ve already given a LOT to your team and college and fans. Don’t be dumb.

2 Likes

A little off topic… but on the RB thought… I was half watching some NFL network this AM, and they were talking about Jonathan Taylor being waaayy ahead for the rushing crown.

Made me think of 2 things:

#1 — I really liked when they put the rookie salary cap into effect so that unproven players weren’t gifted more money than proven players… but I hate the fact that contracts can’t be altered for 3 years.

Taylor has over 2500 yards in 28 games.
If he was allowed to re-work his contract after 2 years… he would be looking for an extension this offseason already.

#2 — He can get a new deal after next season… and he shouldn’t play a snap in 2023 if he doesn’t get paid. If I was his agent, I would advise him to report to camp to avoid fines, and have “hold in” until a new deal is done like TJ Watt did this year.