Kris Simms: Trubisky and Mariota significantly better than Goff

Simms has become somewhat of a self proclaimed, de facto, irreproachable czar of all things QB related recently in the media world.

I’m sure I’m not the only person who is somewhat surprised he dished out love for Trubisky and Mariota, and basically just said Goff is weak and overpaid.

Simms and Florio have deep connections throughout the league … for some reason they are convinced Goff is the worst starting QB in the NFL. They only talk about him being benched for Wolford, and being overpaid by the Rams, and disregard any success he’s had.

It’s curious, and annoying.

Really? He’s going to die on a hill for Trubisky and Mariota? Good luck with that strategy buddy.

Honestly, we have debated Goff ad nauseum this offseason, and will continue to do so. But come on man. Trubisky? The Steelers took the ONLY first round QB this year to replace him. Didn’t Mariota lose out to Tannehill, back when Tannehill only had ‘meh’ seasons at best?

Sheesh. I mean, I get the criticism, Goff started the year horribly. But pick some different guys to prop up.

6 Likes

Its the fodder portion of the season, leading up to camp. Bylines are hard to come by. Biscuit is only better than Goff when playing the Lions.

3 Likes

can we let the Goff threads go, and let the guy just play the season out…then, revisit??? or during the season??

4 Likes

Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe Clan

6 Likes

I am okay with people having their opinion. I just think the validity of the opinion gets a little dampened when someone like Marcus Mariota gets rated higher than Goff. Not only is Mariota older than Goff, he has accomplished nothing. Goff’s 2021 season would be Mariota 2nd best year in the NFL.

9 Likes

Everybody has their views and echo chambers. Like most fans, I see my team’s (Lions) additions and progress while devaluing those of other teams. Why, just last night I had dinner with a New York Giants fan who must have been bit by a rabid dog and said that the Giants would have a better record than the Lions in 2022. How delusional is that? I think the gov’ment should put him in lockdown to protect him from self-harm.

IMO, Chris Simms isn’t typically clickbait-y, so I’ll give him a pass on that benighted Goff take.

2 Likes

I agree with letting things go about Goff. I think this thread is more about shows like PFT (and and Simms’s’s Unbuttoned) complete dislike and disregard for a particular player.

It’s almost as if they took Goff’s large contract personally, and now are on a mission of defamation.

What has mitch done besides lose his job with a team that hasn’t had a good qb forever? What has Marcus ever done in the league besides being hurt or being the backup?

2 Likes

T-Brsk is very unreliable. Dude has a high ceiling, but the “between the ears” portion of the game hold him back. I remember watching him in his rookie year and thinking “Oh, shit…Chicago might actually have a good QB.” Instead of getting better, he got worse.

3 Likes

Great, the “Joe Buck” of sports writers has taken it upon himself to throw out an opinion in hopes that shit sticks to the wall.

2 Likes

In fact, Simms made a huge point about Goff being benched for Wolford. Reiterated it 2-3 times, with complete agreement from Florio, using “benched for Wolford” narrative as key proof that Goff sucks.

I’m not 100% sure, but didn’t Goff almost have his thumb ripped off his hand the week before and underwent surgery? I mean, isn’t it possible that Goff’s thumb literally dangling off of his hand may have had something to do with the Rams giving some snaps to Wolford? They of course didn’t mention this …

3 Likes

Mitch played the Lions twice a year and actually looked good. The other teams he played he looked like a back up at best.

Mariotta can’t stay healthy so I don’t even know why he’s considered a starter?

Have a feeling Goff is going to get the last laugh on this one. Was watching Brian Baldinger showing the Lions OL and how good he thinks they will be. Goff has already shown with a supporting cast he can be a good QB.

1 Like

So, we love when Simms is on board with Hutch, Jamo, Paschal and Levi, but there’s something wrong with him when he’s not on board with Goff?

11 Likes

10 wins…maybe more.

1 Like

curious take by Simms. Goff was less than two weeks from thumb surgery with three pins in his thumb. They outright told the media its not a benching

“McVay told Goff they weren’t benching him, which the quarterback understood

“Sean made it very clear to me, ‘We’re obviously not benching you. We need to have a plan moving forward and this week, with where you’re at physically and what not…’ I got it, to an extent. But it was tough,” Goff said.”

3 Likes

LOL - I noticed tat too.

‘Not on board’ is understatement.

It’s a perpetual train of one-sided rants, that are literally 100% negative. Florio piles on even more. Leaving out details like thumb surgery, and calling it a benching? They are working hard to find negatives.

It’s fair to ask why they are so over-the-top with their hatred for Goff. There seems to be something more there…

The most common opinion I see expressed about Detroit’s QB situation (outside of Detroit fans, bloggers and vloggers) is:

“Not in love with Goff”
“Stop-gap”
“Bridge”
“QB is a need”

There is nothing over the top about being dismissive of Goff. Many, many pundits are looking past him at this point.

2 Likes

Funny part is, I’m not a Goff fan. I don’t think he’s a top 15-18 QB.

But I’m speaking specifically to Simms and PFT. They are certainly over the top. Politely disagree with you there.

Stating that Mariota and Trubisky are ballers, and would have taken the 2021 Lions to a much better record? Proudly expounding that Goff was benched for Wolford, and conveniently leaving out the thumb surgery? Umkay.

2 Likes