Kris Simms: Trubisky and Mariota significantly better than Goff

Chris Simms also said that Jameson Williams was, by far, the best WR in the 2022 draft.

Like anything else in life, in 2022, Goff has the opportunity to prove him dead wrong and JW has the opportunity to prove him right.

2 Likes

Yes. You’ve discovered the code and now your Den experience will be much less frustrating… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Mariota has had some issues staying healthy and isn’t a great natural thrower of the ball.

However…I do find it interesting that Ryan Tannehill is all the way up at #11… while Mariota is #26.

When Mariota was the starting QB for Titans, Derrick Henry played 53 games before Mariota was benched in favor of Tannehill. He ran for 20 attempts or more only 5 times in his first 53 games. Henry had 614 carries… for 2709 rushing yards in those 53 games.

In his last 33 games since Tannehill took as starter… Henry has run for >/= 20 attempts 24 times!
He has run 787 times for 4088 yards in the 33 games since Tannehill became starter.

Also… Mariota had AJ Brown for 6 games. Tannehill has played 37 games with AJ Brown.

Wait a minute…, from what i’ve read from The Den, Goff can’t throw deep. How the hell is he ever going to get the ball to Jamo?

Wasted draft pick, if you ask me. :clown_face:

1 Like

He hate me. He hate Lions.

3 Likes

Simms also had Willis going in the mid first round. So his QB analysis and the leagues may not be totally in sync

1 Like

While I feel “hatred” is a strong word, it was the same for Stafford. The media started treating him differently the second he got traded. I feel it’s an anti-Lion sentiment (nationally). This is a bit of an outlier, as Simms has spoken highly of other areas of Detroit’s coach and moves the FO has made.

That said, I like this sort of thing. I feel like the “Detroit vs Everybody” sentiment helped the Pistons for a lot of years. I can see this being some good fuel, especially for a Dan Campbell led team.

Our boys may get a chance to fly under the radar a bit.

I see the Lions going about 4-4 to start the season with a massive late season run, possibly even getting us into the playoffs (not predicting that, but very possible).

1. we are young
  2. we will get better as the season wears on
  3. we have muuuuuch better depth and talent, so with a little luck with health, we may be more fresh than some other teams, especially in the trenches (where it matters most).
  4. J-Will will come in around the bye week and get better and better as he gets more into game shape, more used to being a pro, and more integrated into the system.

I’m telling ya, man…Goff stays healthy, we win 10 and possibly challenge GB
-division? probably not, but within the realm of possibility
-Playoffs if not division? Probably not, but within the realm of possibility this year.

2 Likes

Some interesting takes on Simms in here. When he was saying stafford was a top 5 qb a few years ago he was considered credible. When he said the lions had a top 3 draft this year he was credible. When he said the lions got screwed over the prime time schedule and he hopes that the NFL isn’t trying to take the thanksgiving game from Detroit he was credible. When he said he loves the direction of this club he was credible.

Suddenly he loses credibility and is a self-proclaimed qb czar when he gives an honest assessment regarding Goff. A qb who was traded away by his “offensive genius” head coach who said they needed an upgrade to win. He loses credibility when says mariota and tribs are better? People are pulling Goff’s stats as defense of their take? That’s all well and good but just putting stats as a defense without taking into consideration talent on the team, OC, strength of schedule, division opponents and defenses played against is just ego padding. Goff had something that the other two qbs never had Sean McVay. The other two had abysmal offensive OC’s. You can scapegoat the qb if you want but it doesn’t mean it was all on him. His argument doesn’t lose steam by comparing those two……it might for you but that’s bc you might like your opinion. The opinion of simms might hold more weight……just saying.

Reality is Goff very well could be nothing more then a bridge qb. He will have to prove a great deal before that title is stripped from him. It’s an appropriate assessment of the current state of affairs with the lions.

4 Likes

Yes. He needs to love everything Lions related or else…fire him into the sun.

He loved Mitchell too btw

4 Likes

Simms is welcome to an opinion and has a platform. Interestingly he was always down on Goff from the get go. He was hammering the drum for Paxton Lynch to be the top QB in that draft and be drafted over Goff

Even when Goff was the youngest QB to ever get to win an NFC Championship game, coming off back to back Pro Bowls and leading the number one offense two years in a row. Simms ranked him low arguing that was that Goff wasnt athletic enough to be a top tier QB

I’d wager if Goff really surges here and has a Pro Bowl season, Sims will still rank him low and say it’s because of Campbell and the weapons we stocked

I guess sometimes cats don’t like some other cats

1 Like

Well, Goff needs to prove himself. Hoping he will. We’ll see.

To be fair, Trubisky has been both very good and very bad. Often from game to game.

And i think Mariota has more pure talent than Goff…but yeah, he’s injured a bunch. But he’s basically sat on a bench the last three years, and has provided an occasional good outing. I wanted to get him as a back-up at least and put some pressure on Goff.

Honestly, if someone said, which one of these three do you want for the same salary, I’d probably say Goff. But I’m not sure Goff at his salary is a better situation than either Trubisky or Mariota at their salaries.

1 Like

No but the other two players aren’t better.

Came here to post the exact same thing. People were hailing Simms as a savant a week or two ago. How quickly things change.

5 Likes

Mostly very good against Matt Patricia lead defenses. Mostly bad against everyone else.

If you need a laugh, check out Trubisky’s stats vs the Lions.

2 Likes

I think Simms has a blind spot when figuring accomplishments into any equation…

Now, I bet he’d rate Goff higher if his father was a good (but not great) NFL QB…

2 Likes

Part of the problem in Simms’ assessment of Goff is that we don’t know what games he watched. If he watched early 2021 season Goff (with Lynn calling the plays and without Decker), he’d be right. If Simms watched last 5 games Goff (with Decker and the Campbell-Johnson offense),he’d be wrong.

2 Likes

Here’s what’s going to happen-

Trubridgesky is going to light up some shitty team (like he did us so many times, because Fatass) and Simms’ head will be approached by the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade people.

Then he will suck like nothing has ever sucked before(except Justin Fields…Hey-Yo!), and will crash and burn what looked like a promising season a few games in.

Pickett’s Charge Part Deux will then begin, with similar results…this time with no Longstreet or Lee to blame.

Mitch will be Granted his release, for sher, man
He will move on to his next posting, where he will re-enact Little Big Horn for some poor QB starved team, likely due to a wounded knee.

3 Likes

pfft…Who didn’t!

1 Like

Jenny Craig

3 Likes

I’m the one who made the original post, and I had no idea whatsoever Simms liked our draft.

It’s almost funny how far out of their way Simms and Florio go to disparage Goff.

There could be some jealously over the contract he got from the Rams? The Rams definitely rewarded him for the SuperBowl run, and overpaid. But that’s on the Rams, not Goff.

It could also be something as simple as he turned down an interview request … you know that media-mouths love that type of thing.