Lamar Jackson receive NON-Exclusive franchise tag

That’s going to be awkward extending him right after drafting AR15.

Nfl Spin GIF by The Undroppables

2 Likes

We had 5 teams leak info to reporters saying they weren’t interested. And we know all info reported at this time of the year is true and accurate.

It’ll be interesting to see if all 5 are out on Lamar Jackson trade, Dolphins don’t have a 1st round pick, so they can’t sign him to an offer sheet. They’d have to work out a deal with Lamar and then a trade with Baltimore, which probably won’t happen . . . sure sounds like Baltimore wants to match.

Recent trades with QB getting new contracts:
DeShaun Watson for 3 1sts, a 3rd and a 4th, plus Watson gets a $230M/5yr fully guaranteed
Russell Wilson for 2 1sts, 2 2nds and 3 players, plus Wilson gets a $245M/5yr with $124 Guaranteed.
Matthew Stafford for 2 1sts, a 3rd and Jared Goff, plus Stafford gets $160M/4yr with essentially $97M guaranteed

Lamar should have plenty of interest. Interesting to see how this plays out.

2 Likes

AR would have the 4th worst completion percentage of QB’s drafted in the 1st rd. The other 3 guys were busts. You never see a guy be mediocre in college and become a better pro. I’m fairly confident the Lions won’t be drafting the combine warrior at 6.

2 Likes

His Draft Day Manifesto used to crack me up. But like many stars,once he took off he became about the schtick rather than being clever (which per my preferences he does, or did, have in him).

So 6 and Goff for Lamar?

:smiley:

They might accept 6 for Lamar. However if we want to put Goff in the deal we will have to give them 18 as well to take him. Rules are rules.

1 Like

I think this is the case as well!

Well Done Good Job GIF by Pudgy Penguins

2 Likes

Is there a ban button!? lol

Eddie Murphy Agree GIF by Coming to America

2 Likes

Eddie Murphy Flirting GIF by Coming to America

1 Like

I can’t see a QB desperate team going after an often injured running QB.
Jmo.
He might make sense in Chicago, if you’re going to keep Fields as a backup?

bit of a bump but yeah, id say its a bit of news regarding the situation

2 Likes

I’d kick the tires for sure, but the problem is there’s no way we give him the guarantees he wants. It’s just not happening with Brad.

I still think the Raiders or Commanders, with their impulsive owners, are the most likely spots.

6 Likes

This is probably the biggest reason that teams are out on Lamar. Everyone expects that Baltimore will match and without the poison pills (i.e. the full contract becomes guaranteed if you play 3 or more games Baltimore), teams don’t want to negotiate a deal that Baltimore will match. And Baltimore is likely to match any deal.

https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/1633487223940337665

NFLPA can call it collusion, but I think it’s more that teams don’t think they have a chance of actually acquiring Jackson.

1 Like

FYR I don’t want to sign Lamar. I like what Goff did.

But it would be funny if we signed Lamar, gave up the picks, and then traded Goff for more picks than we gave to get Lamar.

Couldn’t a team structure a contract that would make it hard for the Ravens to match!? For example front loading the deal or something to that effect!?

1 Like

Yes, but when factoring in the $32M that Baltimore already has on the books Lamar, there are only 3 teams that could need a QB that have more cap space. At the start of the league year, the Texans and Raiders will have about $10M more than the Ravens and the Falcons will have $40M.

The Falcons are really the only team that I think could price the Ravens out by having an enormous 1st year base salary of like $70M and they’d have to get Lamar to agree to it. I think Lamar is more about the APY and guarantees, not necessarily getting out of Baltimore (with a high year one cap hit). I think at the end of the day, he’d like to find a deal that Baltimore will match. So not only would Atlanta have to price Baltimore out matching, they’d have to meet Lamar’s expectations on APY, Guarantees and cash flow on top of being an attractive landing spot (and yes, money could make that attractive).

Plus if Atlanta comes up with a offer sheet for Lamar (say a $70M year one cap hit), they’d be out of UFA until the offer sheet is resolved. They’d have to not use that cap space while negotiating the offer sheet and they’d have to also not use the cap space until it’s resolved (7 days later). So maybe the 1st 2 weeks of UFA, most of the decent UFA’s are gone by that point.

4 Likes

Very nice breakdown! Makes sense.

I feel like the Ravens want to keep Lamar, they are just scared of the long term commitment because of what often happens to QB’s than run a lot. Tricky situation all the way around.

2 Likes

Yup.

That and the very same reasons why Lamar wants guaranteed money are why teams are leery to give it to him.

2 Likes