Lets Talk WRs in this 2022 Draft

My own opinion is that the ability to separate will be a qualifying minimum for receivers they’re looking at, with the ability to win contested balls as a multiplier of value. I’m very excited to see if my hypothesis proves correct, but I don’t see them drafting a receiver that has to be thrown open with a DB draped all over them.

Agree - not as a first priority. But if they get Davonte Adams II, then maybe they take a later round flyer on someone like that.
It was frustrating watching Golladay, Sanu, and even MJ being blanketed all the time…would rather not go back there.

I didn’t value separation nearly as much, until I got to know my ex girlfriend… Now I value separation more than ever

4 Likes

I mean they got much better simply from signing Josh Reynolds and he is no Amon Ra St Brown. Different players; different skills. I think that is how you have to look at the draft class too. Its not a cookie cutter one-size-fits-all approach IMO as if they are all the same. Separation is important, but they are looking for a guy who can play X WR i.e. can release from press man at the LOS, bigger bodied, slant catching type and a complimentary Z or Y WR who teams have to pay attention to deep with Amon Ra to round out the position group. I am not sure they will get both this year in the draft, but I expect at least one. My guess anyway.

1 Like

If everyone is healthy…

1. Wilson
  2. Pickens
  3. Williams
  4. Burks
  5. London
  6. Olave
  7. Bell
  8. Dotson
1 Like

I don’t know how I became such an Olave defender, but I feel like Olave is going to be the Terry McLaurin of this draft class.

I’ve brought him up a couple times before but IMO Tyquan Thornton would very much filll a need. I think he’s a better MVS.

Yeah, since about 1776

11 Likes

AWESOME!!!

Okay. I finally have a Chris Olave NFL comp that works for me. I’ve seen a lot of them, and didn’t really like them.

Tyler Lockett. That’s who I think he can be in the NFL. Obviously some differences too, but both have slight builds and a knack for getting open.

Lockett is on a totally different level from a YAC standpoint otherwise I can see that.

1 Like

Sweet. Tolbert is on our side.

I’ve got that same strange feeling.

Chris, Terry, and Michael Thomas were all kind of the same guy at OSU. Not from a comp standpoint but that they were the veteran experienced seniors who were very productive and good but not supposed to be great NFL guys until they do and everyone says “Well I didn’t really see that coming”.

But going off of tape and everything there’s 4 or 5 guys I’d take over Olave.

1 Like

This is it. Olave has done nothing but produce at Ohio State and its almost like he is going to go later than he should because someone will over think it, then he’ll do really well and then people look back at his college career and go “yep, shoulda saw that coming”.

Olave reminds me a little bit of Justin Jefferson. I think Jefferson is better after the catch and more physical though. Olave is an elite level separator though

After all those wrs that went in rd 1 last yr, there has to be guys at wr who will fall this year. Just too many at the position. Too many well we took wr last in rd 1 so we need to look at other positions think. Too many gms dont want to to a millen. So i think lions are in perfect spot to wait and grab a wr 1… in rd 2 or 3

1 Like

I’d be okay with grabbing one with the Rams pick, as well as rounds 2-3.

Whatever Holmes thinks is best. I’d prefer a largely defensive draft, but we need talent and depth at a lot of places, and we have juuuuust enough talent at different positions to make us unpredictable in the draft.

I feel like Brad may be going LB higher than I suspect/want.

The last two drafts have been crazy for WRs. I mean like six, seven, eight guys are going top 35ish. And we still got a good one in round 4.

But you have to wonder if it’ll fall back to what (I think?) is more of a historical norm which is like 3-5 in round one.

To me this draft is less top heavy then the last two WR classes but perhaps even deeper

Right now my draft philosophy is….

Are BOTH of Hutch and Thibz considered truly Elite edge guys on our board? Chase Young, Garret, N Bosa level? I fear that Thiz is more a Bradley Chubb….

If so then prepare for Jags to take Watt- from another mother- and then what?

Our team needs to assess if Romeo will be back at full strength by preseason, or at all…

Our team needs to focus on signing C Harris as he was awesome in both run and pass, and a symbol of what taking a 1 year deal here could turn into…

Between those 2’as starters and JO and Bryant on bench, plus FA and mid round talent, there is now reason to accept “Edge2” if that’s what we have facing us.

1. We came on strong mid year with guys like Okudah, Romeo, missing completely and in a new system.

2. Look at the recent top picked WRs and how quickly they impacted in the nfl.

DRAFT TRADE

Lions send #2 to Giants for #5 and their 2nd and 2nd next year…giants to 2 needs are OT and Edge- prime trade partner

#5 Garrett Wilson - Giants
#26 Lloyd or Dean
#34 D Bell or J Dotson
#37 best Edge (s Williams, D Jackson, M Sanders)
#66 best CB
#98 best C/OG

FA
Marcus Williams
Larry Ogunjobi
Blake Bell
Vet LB

Resign
J Reynolds
C Harris
C Reynolds
T Kraemer
M Nelson

T Walker

Extend AO

We could have

G Wilson
D Bell
St Brown
Cephus
J Reynolds

All of the sudden we might have top 4-5 WR corps on the cheap for 3-5 years!!!