Levi Onwuzurike update

Yeah. Not good. This may end up a gigantic waste of a 2nd rounder. I cannot believe Holmes had to be talked out of trading into the 1st for this guy.

4 Likes

Man, that sucks.

What we’ll probably never know is how much of that was bad medical evaluation and how much was risk-taking.

4 Likes

My main issue is that I find it impossible to believe Holmes didn’t know about the back problems. No way he got through medical evaluations without that coming up as a major potential red flag.

2 Likes

What if it’s something he hid so he wouldnt fall in the draft? Are there types of back problems that wont easily show up in the combine and team medicals?

Remember…the 2021 draft was shitty for medical info due to cancelling the combine and tons of restrictions on access to prospects. Here’s an article by a Seahawks source.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/lack-of-medical-evaluations-latest-challenge-for-seahawks-to-overcome-ahead-of-2021-nfl-draft

5 Likes

He just needs time I heard, Lol but they said the same about Quintrica

1 Like

If the needle hasn’t moved on his injury according to Dan then whatever they’re doing in treatment isn’t working. Time for plan B. He’s another busted 2nd round pick. I’d be shocked if he ever contributed at this point. A back injury you can’t heal from at 22 years old isn’t going to suddenly get better.

1 Like

Yep–great point.

Give him his settlement and be done.
Either his back is two years worth of trashed, or he doesn’t want to play in Detroit.

2 Likes

Time to move on from him imo….

Hope he can prove me wrong but I don’t see it!

Until he joins the Patriots and makes the pro bowl.

4 Likes

I wonder if he’s one of those guys that puts down Call of Duty enough in year 4 to get himself a second contract .

3 Likes

I always wonder … what are second round pick expectations ? And given nfl history , what level plsyer is the average second rounder as a pro ?

One thing is , if Levi character as a pro … ie is he doing all and more than they ask to return vs collecting a check …

As the team character is lined with GRIT I hope Levi is a pros pro because injuries can happen. I’d be more concerned on brads process , if Levi wasn’t trying.

Or the lions release him and he goes to the media with yet another story of the lions medical teams ineptitude.

3 Likes

Very possible!

2 Likes

Trade him to the Vikings for a first rounder! Problem solved.

1 Like

So disappointing. I always believe that we wanted Christian Barmore there but the Patriots jumped in front of us.

He is not our only player sidelined with back injury.

1 Like

Was he having any issues in college or is thid new?

Maybe Levi’s people weren’t forthcoming. Maybe he had a setback along the way. maybe he had a bad evaluation. Probably the road back has simply proven longer than anyone involved could have reasonably predicted.

If this defense were merely BAD the Lions would be 3-1, if not undefeated. Obviously having a couple high defensive picks who can’t even suit up is especially frustrating in light of that fact. And I certainly hope Holmes is more risk-averse from here on out with respect to drafting injured players.

But it’s a REALLY good bet that Holmes didn’t anticipate that Levi’s road to recovery would be this long. Bad luck is a thing; I’m certainly not about to bail on him for being unlucky on the injury front.

1 Like