Lions #1 overall pick next year

I’m all on the Spencer Rattler train for next year. I like Emory Jones a lot too. I feel like he’s going to make a lot of progress as a thrower this year.

I don’t necessarily want a dual threat as much as someone who can improvise and make plays off schedule. Running is a great tool to do that, so I like dual threat guys. I also like how the threat of a QB run impacts the schematic game, and the advantages it gives your offense.

Slovis screams bust
Shough screams bust, just not as loud
Not a fan of Howell’s upside

Sure he is.

He can run left or he can run right.

2 Likes

If they wanted a QB, this was the year. Next year’s class is much weaker. I know people here have disagreed with me on that, but it is what it is.

They’re all in with Goff for at least 2 years.

2 Likes

This is a perfect post!

I think the “dual threat QB thing” is a lazy ideal.

Steve McNair- #3 overall with 3 pro bowls and zero rings.

Dante Culpepper- first rd pick w/ 3 pro bowls zero rings

D McNabb-#3 overall pick 6 pro bowls no rings!

Mike Vick- #1 overall pick 4 pro bowls and no rings!

Alex Smith #1 overall with 3 pro bowls and 0 rings!

Cam Newton- #1 overall pick with 3 pro bowls and zero rings.

Jamies Winston- #1 overall with 1 pro bowl and no ring.

Marcus Mariota- #2 overall with zero pro bowls or rings.

Lamar Jackson- 1st rounder with 1 pro bowl and zero rings.

Deshaun Watson- 1st rounder with 3 pro bowls and zero rings.

Josh Allen-#7 overall with 1 pro bowl and zero rings.

Kyler Murray- #1 overall with 1 pro bowl and zero rings.

Russell Wilson 3rd rounder with 7 Pro Bowls and 1 ring…

THAT IS OVER 100 SEASONS AND 1 RING!

The irony is the guy drafted in round 3, the guy expected to backup recently top paid free agent Matt Flynn, he is the only one with a ring!

So drafting a “dual threat QB in round 1 to be the franchise QB has equated to zero SB rings ever for a team that drafted him!

———————————————————————

If we are going to pretend guys like Mahomes, ARodgers, J Herbert, or Baker Mayfield are “dual threats” it expands the box a bit. These are 200-300 yard rushing 2-4 td type guys with 4.71-4.9 speed.

-Keep in mind Goff ran a 4.82 vs Mahomes 4.80 forty- Goff also ran 4 rushing TDs last year.

However these guys are pocket passer 1st, big time gunslingers coming out of college and their arm talent or ability to spin it or read defenses was never in question.

These guys are 150-300 yard per year rushing QBs which is about 17 yards a game.

• consider Goff has averaged MORE rushing tds and just about 100-175 yards a year LESS than Mahomes or Rodgers the past 3 years…

ONLY J HERBERT AND J ALLEN HAD MORE PASSING YARDS AND RUSHING TDS THAN GOFF LAST YEAR - lol
———————————————————————

Brady- 7
P Manning- 2
E Manning- 2
Big Ben- 2
Rivers- 0
Stafford- 0
M Ryan- 0

We take Brady our if this, much the way we take Russ W out of the dual threat side. Neither player was drafted to be what they became.

Since we are talking strategy to build a SB team, I’d say lottery ticket backup becoming hall of famer isn’t the ideal path…

———————————————————————

Hell Nick Foles, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer are proof that journeymen backups are more likely to win SBs vs dual threat guys.

3 Likes

This- agree and “if” we need to go QB he’s on my radar too.

Rattler was far more dominant in his 19 year old season that Zach Wilson was. Actually more so than Herbert too… I’m a bit nervous of his size and frame but I like him.

If we are pretending to use dual threat in a completely different context than the McNairs and Newton’s is old then sure… 6’3 plus and 220 plus pound guys like J Allen, P Mahomes, J Herbert and T Lawrence are the future.

Again- they run for on average about 200 yards per year more than Matt Ryan… so there is that.

Nice post sir!

I see this as pretty simple…

A) The hope tied to the Holmes, Dorsey, and Spielman front office was 1- improve culture… and 2- draft consistently better than most teams rounds 1-7…

• when 5-6 former players and well thought of young coaches from HC to DC to RB and WR chose Detroit- it was an indication of #1 above coming to fruition. I bet we start seeing the fruits of Holmes skills regarding #2 this fall.

B) Goff had more wins, better winning percentage, more Pro Bowls, more playoff wins, more SB appearances than ALMOST ALL NFL QBS OVER THE LAST 4 YEARS! FYI- his 4 rushing tds last year was 3rd in the league for guys with 4,000 passing yards-

C) we have a 26 year old QB on a decent contract which gives us a 2 year preview and a plethora of draft capital if and when we decide to move on. AGAIN HES BEEN MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN WATSON, MURRAY, L JAX ETC OVER THE LAST 4 YEARS!

1 Like

Our 1st round pick next year will be

DE George Karlaftis

Or

DE/OLB Kayvon Thibodeaux

We will continue to build the trenches

After this draft I definitely think 6 wins is doable.

1 Like

@Lyonfan1 and others, WHY are wins a QB stat and not a team stat?? If wins were a QB stat, then Stafford, who is clearly better than Goff as referenced by the trade, would have MORE wins than Goff, right???

If you claim Goff is better than Stafford because “he wins more” than you’re missing that point entirely because you want to believe Goff is good.

Wins weren’t a QB stat when Stafford was here. They were everything but, so how come they are now?

Wins have always been a stat.

1 Like

Yes, but we didn’t want to associate them with the QB like many are doing with Goff right now.

And they shouldn’t have been a “stat” anyway.

1 Like

I’m okay with having the #1 overall pick next year. I’m just wondering how much we had to give up to trade up to that spot.

Whats Up Yo GIF by Banana Republic

3 Likes

QBs do have more of an outcome on the game than any other player.
Guys that were big Stafford fans always blamed the team for the loss but if the Lions won, it was only because of Stafford. They wanted it both ways. A poor play here or a bad decision there by a QB stands out more than a missed tackle or a false start penalty, etc.

It is certainly a team game, but to claim that QBs don’t have any more outcome on the game than the RG is ludicrous. They make the decisions and touch the ball every play. It’s like blaming a private instead of a general for losing a battle.
I think some guys are just winners. Tom Brady for example. He doesn’t have the physical skills that Stafford has, but he has a lot of qualities that translate into wins that Stafford does not have. Just look at Belichick’s record with and without Brady.
As for Goff’s record. It’s nice that he has won. I am happy he is here instead of Stafford not because of the record, but because Stafford had become complacent here and seemed ambivalent. Goff feels like he has something to prove.
Look at last year how Rodgers had a chip on his shoulder and the results.

1 Like

We’ve put Goff in a position to be very successful here even if it’s not reflected in the Wins column right away. The Defense still needs a lot of work. I believe we will have a top notch run game and Hockenson will be our target monster. Our WR’s should be serviceable enough. You give any NFL QB time and he should be able to pick you apart. Goff can definitely do that. It’ll be nice to see how he plays off a strong run and play action game. Another offseason of talent added to this team will do wonders. I see us winning 6 - 8 games next year and improving on that big time in year two.

1 Like

I don’t get why folks think Goff is gonna be awful here. I think he’s set up to be a solid QB for us.

6 Likes

No need to trade up , we are fighting with Houston , hope they fire their gm and Watson come back and get few wine . Shanahan always act too smart and get a passs , he single handly wasted turbo teams future picks , team should have easily got lance/fields/Jones at #11.

Agreed.

People’s heads be spinning when he winning!

1 Like

I expect the Jets, Panthers, Giants, and Texans to be fighting it out for the #1 pick.

Go watch QB1 on Netflix and see if you still feel this way. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a more entitled douchebag than Spencer Rattler.

Also, watch out for Malik Willis of Liberty. Has the strongest arm since Josh Allen and he’s athletic af.

Two of those teams you named have very good rosters. They might be suspect at QB but they rest is very good

NYG
CAR