Lions awarded DT Cominsky

I think larger PS numbers is GREAT for the game.

For years people have been thinking the NFL needed a “minor league” to develop players. The PS is the best way to develop players… because they are in the building and keeping up with the play book. I have wondered for years why the rosters weren’t bigger, because injuries can make an average 53-man roster unbearable to watch… and these owners have more to gain by staying relevant in the standings than saving a few mill by trimming rosters too thin.

3 Likes

Exactly, 16 X 32 is 512 players. That could easily be a 10 team league. No wonder the USFL sucks so bad. All the fringe players are on practice squads.

2 Likes

about 30% of NFL players are on the PS… and thst makes for a better product when injuries happen. :+1:

3 Likes

A minor league would be awesome. The NBA’s G-league seems to be doing well. And i really like going to minor league baaeball games. For football, it would have to be a little different because injuries happen so often. But it would be great if someone thought about it creatively. Aside from larger practice squads, you could consider smaller fields, 9 man teams, shorter games, no kickoffs, etc. etc.

The idea of two-way contracts, which would automatically protect a player from getting poached, also seems like a concept who’s time has come.

2 Likes

@MotorCityMadhouse

“ They said he could slide inside as well”

Creeping Parks And Recreation GIF

3 Likes

Found an interesting article from a Commando site… expressing disappointment that the WFT didn’t land him.

1 Like

In 2020, on those 397 snaps, pff gave him a 67 grade, which is actually pretty decent. So who knows. Maybe he will surprise us.

4 Likes

He gives the Little Caesars Hot and Schweddy some credit for ability to add weight for DE… he should some props in Detroit for that!
He only weighed 215 pounds when they asked him to move.

1 Like

Worst case you trade him for a sixth or seventh rd pick in August to one of the other teams that wanted him.

5 Likes

If they wanted him that bad, they would have made that offer to Atl.

1 Like

Circumstances can change with training camp injuries and other factors.

3 Likes

Ah yes……The participation trophy generation.

Some depth for the lines is always a good idea. But he have to show something in camp to make the roster.

I thought I heard that they are able to protect 1 PS guy from being taken, as well.

I haven’t heard that. Link??

Last year you could protect 4 players per week. Protecting PS players was not part of the CBA, it was part of COVID rules that were made jointly by the NFL and NFLPA. If they do it for 2022, it could be announced any time from now up to the start of the season.

To me, I don’t understand why the NFLPA would agree to it as it forces NFLPA members to a salary of $9200/wk on PS as opposed to $40K/wk if they were signed to the active roster. But there is a lot of things the NFLPA does that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

1 Like

Trade him to the Commando’s for a 3rd.

I don’t have a link, I said that I “thought” that I had heard that…I could be wrong and have been before.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.