Lions awarded Paul Perkins and cut CJ Anderson

If Ty can stay upright he can be a real weapon in space. Dude ran an unofficial 4.28 or something stupid like that at pro day

1 Like

Welcome, DTD!

2 Likes

Maybe Ty will learn something from Perkins, this is how you do it and what to look for.

1 Like

He was explosive as hell his Sophomore year. Crazy game breaker that season. Loved watching him on an otherwise bad Maryland team.

Really like Anthony McFarland and Javon Leake as well but that’s for another time.

Love, love, love Chuba Hubbard, but again, for another time

1 Like

Dwayne Washington was nothing more than a flash in the pan RB that shined in the preseason. Definitely not the answer!

1 Like

Dwayne Washington has like one or two good runs in preseason. All I remember of him was a RB with zero vision who for some reason Caldwell was in love with. Dude was great at getting a handoff, then running straight into a tackle. ZZ probably should have been getting most of Washington’s snaps

3 Likes

DW has looked fairly good for NO.

I can’t believe we haven’t brought ZZ back to be honest. ZZ was good at blitz pickups. None of our current RB’s are very good at pass protection and blitz pick up

1 Like

He only “looked good” once. Go back and look at when he got those good carries. Down by like 30 points in the second half of the final game of the year.

1 Like

I do realize that but he has managed to stay on their roster and NO has had a decent run game for some time. At least he’s proving he’s an NFL capable RB.

Personally I think the Lions need more talent at RB. Especially a big bruising, hard runner type who can wear opponents down.

So sitting on the bench while he watches other RBs play is a good thing?

1 Like

Hope he’s not number 28

I am a CJ fan but damn, he didn’t produce. A rookie is playing better then he was. So we made a move to get younger, cheaper and maybe better at RB. I am okay with that.

To me this move is about Ty Johnson. Ty is 5’10" and 210+ pounds. He looks like he can catch and run. That means when he comes in the whole playbook is open with the rookie in the backfield. That is important as we are not tipping our hand. Ty just turned 22 years old 9/17.

Paul turns 25 in November. Paul is 5’11" and 210ish pounds too. Paul is a lot like Ty in that he can catch (but never did it often) and he can run. As a rookie Pal averaged 4.1 YPcarry on 112 touches. Paul missed all of 2018 and 5 games in 2017.

To me it is clear the Lions are saying “we don’t want to tip our hand with a RB. We want the full playbook available and we want maximum effort.” The Lions are only going to feed K. Johnson. Every other back needs to be productive when given an opportunity. CJ might still be productive but we are not going to give him the volume he may need so we cut him for a back who might produce on limited touches,

I liked the CJ signing a lot but hell, through 2 games the numbers were clear. CK didn’t produce enough when given an opportunity. So we made a move. I am okay with that.

3 Likes

So, we began with a RB room of KJ, CJ, Zenner, Riddick, Ty, and Bawden. Now we have the same number of RB’s, but, not nearly the talent.
Sometimes, I have no clue what goes on in the Lions GM’s brain.
Perkins has a 2.2 yards per avg, was on IR last season, and hasn’t played in two years. Whatever! Not even going to try to stick my head that far…

You know what’s weird about that?

When Perkins was a rookie, the Giants OL was ranked 29th in run blocking by football outsiders and he averaged 4.1 ypc.

In 2017, the Giants OL was ranked 15th in run blocking by F.O. and he averaged 2.2 ypc.

In 2017, the Giants ran 57 offensive plays against the Cowboys, but only 11 were planned runs. Falling behind 16-0 at halftime may have had something to do with that.

In the 2d gm of 2017 (when the Lions still had a healthy Ngata), the Giants other RBs were more successful–9 carries for 45 yards vs 7 carries for 10 yards.

In the 3d game of 2017, the Giants other RB, Orleans Darkwa, didn’t have much more success-- 7 carries 22 yards.

In the 4th game, Wayne Gallman went 11 carries for 42 yds for the then 0-4 Giants. Shane Vereen was 5 for 14 yds.

Anyway, hard to figure how Perkins is better than Zenner.

1 Like

Zenner wasn’t great, but neither is this guy, my guess is that they might give Perkins a handful of snaps and opportunities to run and see what he’s got…or not and he’s cut…shrug but I doubt he stays here at all at any rate with those prior numbers. I’d be flat stunned IF they keep Perkins around.

1 Like

I viewed CJ as a downgrade from Zenner, who was bigger, stronger and leaner than he has ever been. He also doesn’t tip the defense what is coming as he does everything well and plays ST.

3 Likes

yup. glad they’re realizing quickly and moving on vs making the mistake they did with blount

2 Likes

I honestly thought Thompson was the best short yardage answer on the roster.

Zenner was likeable but he wasn’t a “good” RB.

1 Like