Lions beat writer Kyle Meinke: Lions go 3-14 this year

Yes. I was blown away by how “unprepared” we looked under Patricia. But I kept running with the silly idea that “we don’t care about preseason or the first 4 games of the season. We collect data and turn it on after that.” Nope. The same shithow we saw in preseason continued during the season. When you win literally ZERO games without your top 10 franchise QB and barely win games when he plays…you clearly aren’t cut out for the job. Schwartz went 6-10 with Shaun Hill. Patricia went 5-11 with a prime Stafford and never won a single game without a prime Stafford in the lineup. These are not the same.

4 Likes

In regards to the article and this whole season, and regardless of the writer or beat writer, there’s just too much unknown. And since the general consensus is the lions downgraded and QB and WR and didn’t necessarily improve anywhere, I think it’s easy to say they are going to be underdogs all season but also, nobody knows what the new players are going to bring, along with what is going to happen with other teams, as many of you have said in this thread.

Personally I will be happy with 6 wins and I expect 6, but I’ll take 5. I have a lot of faith in our “superstar” coaching staff and that remains to be proven, but I think good coaching and putting players in good positions to succeed, along with being able to consistently game plan and create new schemes with the same roster every week based on opponent (little Sean Payton influence) will provide some positive surprises and unexpected (positive) results.

That’s just where I’m at now, but I also can’t fault anyone for thinking we win 3 games. Because, well, there’s nothing to go on and it’s the Lions. I hope this year we have something to really believe in.

1 Like

I’d confidently take the over on 4.5 W’s and agree coaching staff is a factor. Our leftovers from last year will be rejuvenated with extra hunger and it’s gonna get contagious

Wow thanks for looking that stat up but that’s crazy… the Schwartz with Hill stat vs Patricia. How awful…

Ok, for the people that think 3 wins is way too low…

How many teams are we better than? We have an entirely new staff, new QB, new WR’s/RB’s, new offense & defense. Zero tradition of winning and we looked pretty bad this preseason.

We are better than Houston and maybe the Jets, Giants & Jags. Every other team is in a better situation with more overall talent than we have right now. We are not going to be a good team this season and that’s fine. Year 1 is to weed out the unwanted and setup culture, we will hopefully add a bunch of talent in the draft next season and then year 3-4 is when the team should get rolling.

4 Likes

I’m leaning toward 3-5 wins myself. I know some folks are ready to hang that on the new coaches, but I think the lack of players at key positions will easily be noticed and their impact on the outcome. In begins next week with SF embarrassing us to start the season.

3 Likes

Sounds about right. If we win more that’s awesome but I think it will take a lot of luck to get much more than 4-5 wins.

You just tried to justify 3 wins. Now its creeped up to 5. What’s next…7?

I think 3 is a solid number, 5 is about our peak this year. Not justifying anything just puzzled why so many on this board think we are an 8 win team when we have a severe lack of talent at key positions. I will be thrilled IF we win more than that but I just don’t think we will. Next year after our fat draft we should improve immensely. Then we get 8-9 wins (or more)

1 Like

8 and 3 are worlds apart. So are you on the 3 win bandwagon?

Yes, I am on the 3-4 win wagon. more than 5 would surprise me.

Should beat Cinci. Might beat Philly. Maayyybe beat Atlanta. Other than that, I don’t see anything.
First year of a rebuild with mostly mediocre players.
QB downgrade.
Poor receivers.
Possibly better D line.
Good O line
As yet unproven running game.
Is there even a kicker?

I see 3 wins maaayyybe 4 tops, but I doubt it and that’s OK. Expectations are low.
First year of a rebuild will set the tone for what players will stay and what players will be gone. It’s all pointing towards the future. Future meaning not now. Next years draft should provide with the long term QB of the future. Plus filling other holes as will and expanded salary cap.

Locking in at 3 means you are almost guaranteed to be wrong. But we shall see. But understand 3 is a unique number and “oh when I said 3 I actually meant more.”

1 Like

You also locked in at 3. Is that your final answer?

Locking in at any number almost guarantees that. I’m saying that I would bet the under in Vegas right now which is at 4.5 wins. This schedule is brutal and we simply aren’t a good team yet.

1 Like

Yeah. 3. That’s what I expect.

You called out guys who thought 3 was too low. Which means you don’t think 3 is too low. So are you willing to lock in at 3? Or just “well I’m saying 3 but I’m actually saying something different.”

Where are you locking in at? If its not 3 then why call people out on it? And if its 3, just throw down the hammer right now.

1 Like

The writers are just that: only writers.

They are not evaluators or they’d have a better paying job doing just that; evaluating. Honestly, we on this forum are just as good as they are…. And we still suck as evaluations with regards to a predicted record outdone is nothing more than a guess….

I hope for 20-0…. Thats it. And the only way that happens is by winning our opening game.

We have to beat SF…. Nothing else really Matters…. That’s the focus baby…. Best SF and nothing else

4 Likes

17-0 regular season because if covid doesn’t destroy our opponents, our cannibalistic nature surely will!!!