Lions Current Roster Evaluation

Lions lose Hand, Strong, Williams, Brockers(50-50) retain in 2022. Very likely, the Lions will pick up another DT, either in FA or the 2022 Draft.

1 Like

If we release Brockers we only gain 1 million in cap space.

Its unfortunate because he has been amongst the worst DTs in the NFL this year. Hes a good guys and leader, but he is performing very badly on the field.

I am hoping Levi and Alim take a big step down the stretch here. I really am contemplating if LEVI should move to DE next season.

Alim has been up and down. When he gets his hands out…he can control his gap most of the time. Double teams are tough on him. I think he could slim down some and be a good 3 tech. He is much more explosive than most have seen.

Let Alim explode up field and penetrate…if Levi slims down to more of his college weight…he can fill flowers spot. And Penisini…who is a good run stuffer (probably best on the team at this point) can play NT.

Or… if Levi doesnt slim down some…Levi is NT…alim at 3 tech.

Maybe we could see some more of that lineup…

I personally dont think Todd Wash has not done a good job with this group. Maybe a new DL coach is needed?

Sounds about right.

I expect that Charles Harris will be re-signed for next year at least. He’s finally showing something after not much elsewhere, so I’d think the Lions will sweeten the pot for him a bit.

We’ll learn a lot of Ryan McCollum pretty quickly if Evan Brown still tests positive for Covid on Friday.

1 Like

I think Brockers has been hurt all season. He was pressed into duty not ready. He may never heal but he hasn’t been close to his best this season…

2 Likes

Brockers is a Lion and will be for 2022. He’s ours. Embrace it.

Levi will need to take a step forward in 2022. They are counting on him.

Brockers, McNeil, Levi, Penisini… That’s virtually assured going into next year.

Penciling Alim and John in at NT, we clearly have room for 2 more players at DE/DT going into the 2022 season.

Draft and FA?

4 Likes

I agree with all of this. I do think that the need for more help is a lot lower on the priorities list than S, WR, LB’er and QB, especially with the resources we used last year. I could see them grabbing some help with the comp 3rd or maybe a lower tier FA. Larry Ogunjobi was a low tier FA DT last year who I wanted and he will likely be available again. He has five sacks on the year and would make a nice nickel rusher on the interior.

3 Likes

Sign me up for obie won ogunjobi

I know. I said above they reworked his contract instead of releasing him. Which is what they did. They could have cut him outright but instead they kept him around at a lower dollar amount (but guaranteed it). Between that and a million snaps this year - clearly they like him.

And I know there’s nothing due past this year. That’s why I mentioned “feels like they should let him walk” in free agency.

Levi has shown signs of being disruptive and has seemingly gotten better from the eye test. Alim though - not sure what happened there. The reports from training camp got people excited but he looks not quite ready. Hopefully he can make a jump in year 2 but it’s hard to rely on him as your 3rd DT given what he’s shown so far.

Brockers and Levi as starters with Alim and another vet as depth. 1 year stopgap type of deal probably. Which is why I think they MAY consider bringing Nick Williams back on a 1 year deal. Not what I would do, but if it’s not him it’s likely someone similar (vet who can eat snaps)

If Alim is not ready to be our starting NT in 2022, I am comfortable enough with Penisini to be that guy, IMO. What I think we really need is a guy who can rush the passer from the interior. Even if Levi develops we still could use another guy and that is where someone like Ogunjobi would be perfect to me. There is also guys like Maliek Collins, Taven Bryan, and Jarran Reed are also cheap guys who can rush the passer a little.

Don’t see us investing heavily in the draft or FA so a signing like this makes more sense to me.

I agree with all of it. If it’s not Nick Williams or one of the guys you mentioned, it’ll be someone in that type of situation. After the Brockers trade and using 2 of his top 3 picks on the same position - I doubt Holmes will look to invest much more into the position. But another vet is needed.

This is the first I’m hearing any complaints on big Mac. Dude’s in the backfield and chasing Running Backs. As a Nose Tackle. I know we’d like to see some disruption from him, too, but he isn’t and shouldn’t be THE guy. Seems like Wash and Campbell only have good things to say. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think they take a penetrating DE/OLB to partner with Romeo or should he never return to form.

Levi is a penetrating DL that is still adjusting to the NFL. Alim is a DT with penetrating ability as well. I think these guys will get bigger and stronger. DL rarely contribute as rookies unless they are older or have crazy burst like parsons/thib/hutch

1 Like

As part of the evaluation I think this is what we know so far with re to our FA’s.

Extend:
Fox
Walker
Brown
Nelson
Anzalone
Harris
Reeves-Maybin
Reynolds
Cabinda
Raymond
Daly

From the “not cheap” department:
Walker would be good to have back, but I’m suspicious of his return.
Josh Reynolds needs to come back for the familiarity and confidence he provides Goff.
Charles Harris has resurrected his career here due to their vision for him. That should land both sides on an agreeable number.

From the cheap department, here are the guys that should be automatic:
Anzalone, JRM, Kalif Raymond, Matt Nelson, Jack Fox, Bobby Price, CJ Moore, Scott Daly, Jalen Elliott, Riley Patterson, Godwin Igwebuike.

There are some other names (Cabinda, Hamilton) where you’ll probably be surprised if they’re not brought back, but at the end of the day they’re providing value that most UDFA’s can. Difference being, a UDFA has unknown potential, where these guys are known maxed at ST. Maybe you bring them back as insurance, but you begin the draft and Free Agency looking to upgrade.

2 Likes

Josh Reynolds can be listed under the cheap department. He signed with Tennessee for 1.75mil last year. He proceeded to do absolutely nothing for them. I understand he has played well in two games, but barring a complete blowup I don’t see him getting more then 3-4mil a year on a 1-2 year deal. Also Cabinda is really liked by this staff and is cheap and still transitioning from defense, I’d bet he is back.

Outside of those two I agree with everthing else.

5 Likes

10 year contract - front loaded.

2 Likes

Only 10 year Natty? Woah, when did you start getting so pessimistic on Fox? Figured you’d at least go with the 12 year hockey contract

2 Likes

Order of importance
Shift Brown and Nelson below Reynolds and I’m good w the list being in that order.

Like everyone, I don’t want to invest a lot of money in Walker, with the caveat that if they think he is only about 2/3 to his ceiling, then he counts as a veteran FA addition, cap-wise, and I’m OK to be around 3 years and whatever a plus starter money but below pro bowl guy is…probably like 7M a year right?

Reynolds should be happy with 2/6m.

Harris would be smart to stay and build to a bigger payday. Some kind of 2/9m type thing? Might be low.

Analzone is the big ? We all think they need a ILB starter. Barnes is a guy you can see be that as early as next year…so do you bring in a Lloyd type guy and have Analzone as the rookie whisperer? Or do they like those 2 and want to use pick 2x from Rams on WR instead of Lloyd…hmmm.

Raymond to me is a guy that I hope doesn’t make the team. They gotta bring in at least WR, maybe 2, and I bet they keep Reynolds…so that’s WR1 Cephus, Reynolds, St Brown…and…Benson? I’d like to see a better talent in that last WR spot than Benson or Raymond really…

Yeah the last 2 guys on that list I hope aren’t here next year

1 Like

You’re right. I was thinking about how Martin stepped on a conch shell and ruined his career. Fox could step on a Portuguese Man of War that’s knifing him with conch shells, and come out with no more ill effects than being tickled by a 5 year old.

Let’s make it 20

1 Like