Lions extend Sewell 4yrs 112M New Highest Pd OL in NFL

Nope!
“A deal with Goff is not imminent, a source told Schefter.”
Sources - Lions’ Amon-Ra St. Brown, Penei Sewell reach 4-year deals - ESPN

Jared Goff is sitting home
Excuse Me Reaction GIF
Feeling left out here

Lonely Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Don’t forget about McNeill. He is entering final year of his contract. He wants to be a cornerstone as well.
He still hasn’t proven enough yet.

1 Like

Man, we gonna pay our guys, huh? The way it should be.

2 Likes

This needed to be repeated.

1 Like

Decker said last week that extension talks have have happened, to what degree no idea. May just be a “what are you thinking in terms of years and dollars” to his agent.

But, a dialog took place of some nature.

This isn’t the NFL of 20 years ago, where teams typically lined up their best pass rusher on the LT because most QBs were right handed. Defenses send guys from all over the place. Sewell does not need to move to LT to make this deal worth it.

Decker will be resigned and they both will be our starting tackles for the next 3+ years.

6 Likes

They had talks with Jonah Jackson too.
I think Decker is more important to the culture of the team than Jonah ever was and will likely get brought back if he isn’t trying to maximize his payout.
This will be an expensive offense if Goff and Decker are extended to go along with ARSB, Sewell, and Ragnow.

2 Likes

Sewell is definitely a reset the market type of player. I thought he would push for 30mil, and if you consider that the 1st year of this deal includes the 5th year option, he is really getting 3 years and over 30mil AAV in new money.

2 Likes

Sewell doesn’t have to move but probably will eventually. Not because he has to play LT, but because the Lions are winning and will be drafting lower. The days of the top 10 or even top 20 picks are likely gone for a while. It is much easier to find a RT than a LT when selecting later.
I think it is about 65/35 that Decker will be a Lion in 2025.
Mostly because he is willing to take a discount and what he means to the locker room and the culture that Brad and Dan have built.

This is a huge deal, as they picked up his fifth year option this morning. So Sewell is under contract through 2029

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1783216785988128944

8 Likes

Penei has done Sewell for himself!

9 Likes

That is huge. Paying him early is going to pay dividends unless he goes Urlacher on us.

3 Likes

Now that is the Oprah i remember worshiping Moloch at the Bohemian Grove. Good times. Great orgies. Even better adrenachrome.

1 Like

So Sewell is under contract through 2029 now… nice.

2 Likes

Thats awesome, that makes this a much better deal than I first thought.

Will be interesting to see all the details of these two deals.

2 Likes

St Brown& Sewell within few hours. Nice days to be a Lion.

Both deals pretty reasonable.

2 Likes

Meh Unimpressed GIF
:wink:

So, we are paying him $28M for years 2026-2029, $112M/4yr deal. Which is awesome and we’ll absorb some cap hits early. It starts two years from now.

2 Likes