Lions extend Sewell 4yrs 112M New Highest Pd OL in NFL

Great contract for a future Hall of Famer.

5 Likes

A guess at what the contract might look like.

Sewell

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious to see how this affects decker. If Detroit takes a tackle it could mean these extensions just priced decker off the team next year.

This deal is exciting news for us fans. We can celebrate this. Big time deal with the best OT in the nfl moving forward.

1 Like

So 2025 arenā€™t paying him is option 5th year anymore?

Iā€™d says 42 mil SB
Thatā€™s 6 mil per year spread out

2025 19mil 5th year option
26 15
27 15
28 15
29 25

Basically is a 6 year 131 million deal

He did the honorable thing by playing RT, despite the position paying less.

Iā€™m very happy for this guy

1 Like

In fairnessā€¦ he didnā€™t really have a choice on that one. A rookie isnā€™t going to demand the position heā€™s going to play when he first enters the league. And Decker is pretty good.

1 Like

I think itā€™s great, but if the plan was to make him the highest paid olineman, then why not play him on the 5th year option, then do that? Unless year one of this contract is actually less. St. Brown I get a lot more because heā€™d been making peanuts vs production. Glad Sewell is locked up, but just wondering.

1 Like

I think the answer is found in what the highest paid linemen in 2025 will be making vs now.

It gives them the option to spread the signing bonus over 6 years (+any void years) instead of 4. Plus it reinforces the culture that the Lions organization is building.

3 Likes

The newest thread explains it. Extension doesnā€™t kick in until after the 5th year option year, but I guess he gets the bonus money now and thatā€™s spread over time. Sweet.

I feel like Deckerā€™s is coming next. As of right now Decker is the better LT. If he starts slipping Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll switch sides. Brad said he wanted to re-sign Jonah. Clearly their game plan (as they have said) is to keep free agency low so they can sign their own guys. I love how they say ā€œwe donā€™t know that playerā€ how important that is. Itā€™s not just building a team, itā€™s also building a family. Detroit Lions identity. Chemistry is so important.

The cap should never be a problem if handled well, and as it keeps going up. You canā€™t pay all your guys big contracts as proven with Jonah. Iā€™m guessing Brad offered him a fair deal, but Jackson went for the money.

They should be able to keep most their players. Brad is doing it right. Even only doing 4 year deals. If ARSB, Sewel keep it up, get paid again, but thatā€™s the thingā€¦ itā€™s only 4 years, you gotta keep it up. No 7 year bs take the money and quit bs.

1 Like

Whoā€™s signing 7 year contracts in the NFL? Mahomes?

Brilliant.
Just imagaine if we had Brad and Disner when Suh was around.

1 Like

Decker has been in contract talks too. Given his age and wanting to retire here i expect to get something reasonable done with him. I think he stays for closer to 15mil a year.

Plus he just had a foot problem corrected that has been hurting him since before he was drafted. He says he feels fantastic now.

3 Likes

We are, right? The extension kicks in after the 5th year option (which we picked up). If youā€™re saying why not wait to put pen to paperā€¦. Well that contract signed a year or two from now will undoubtedly be at a higher amount than it is now. Contracts signed in 2 years from now for franchise All Pro tackles will :100: be higher than this amount right now. The Lions get him locked up long term and he gets some nice security and clarity. Itā€™s a win/win done by a forward thinking organization

3 Likes

If we had Brad when Suh was around we probably would have also drafted Aaron Donald. Man what would this team look like with all those extra years of the draft hitting.

1 Like

Sewell and St. Brown are both playing on a HOF trajectory and have barely entered their primes. These are the kinds of guys you break the bank for in order to keep them on the team.

3 Likes