Lions' Giovanni Manu Refuses 'To Get Outworked'

Manu – whose family and humble beginnings in Tonga serve as his motivation as a football player – is committed to making sure that Detroit gets a good return on its investment in him.

“One thing about me is I refuse to get outworked by my peers and my opponents,” Manu told reporters Friday at Lions rookie minicamp. “That’s one thing I carry myself, because the way I look at it is, if someone outworks me, it stops me from feeding my family and my family means everything to me. So, if you’re stopping me from feeding my family, that’s just going to add more fuel to my fire. So, that’s just the way I approach this.”

3 Likes

I can see why they fell in love with Him.

1 Like

Complete frickon project. Hate his mentality. What a wasted pick.
Saints And Sinners Smile GIF by Bounce

3 Likes

Right. And he’s kind of big. I guess.

2 Likes

1 Like

Sewell wont let this kid fail…

5 Likes

Penei is less than four months older!

3 Likes

Dude got worked for the most part yesterday if you read what Jeff Risdon wrote:

Can he play? We will see. The first impression is that Manu is raw technically. Raw might not even be strong enough for his relative skill level. He was guilty of egregious holds on four of the first five reps against live defense (no pads), and his hand placement and pad level are all over the place. He hasn’t played against high-level competition, notably quickness off the edge, and it really shows.

And then there was the moment of epiphany. In a run-blocking drill, after getting some personalized instruction from OL coach Hank Fraley, Manu had a perfect rep. His hands were exactly where and when they needed to be into the chest of the blocking mark. Manu’s shoulders locked and he drove a 305-pound lineman backward like a locomotive pushing a Prius. And all at once, any wonder about why the Lions traded up into the fourth round for such a project quickly blew away in the brisk May breeze.

But as you read he bounced back for at least 1 rep.

I see why they drafted him just going to be a long time before he see the field in a meaningful game.

1 Like

as told by ginger nicksplat GIF

1 Like

Dude has a nose ring. What a waste of talent.

2 Likes

Kids these days.

Okay, your annoying, i got one better for you. I TALKED to rizz, and he loves the kid. Thinks he is a steal. Those are his personal takes, the article is him being objective and reporting the good and the bad.

2 Likes

Be careful not to confuse unrelenting criticism with objectivity.

2 Likes

That’s wild. Sewell entering year 4 in the nfl. Already a top 5 tackle in the entire league is barely 23 years old. Wouldn’t trade him for anyone.

Wait until he hits his prime years. Dude is headed to the hall of fame.

Alim is another guy entering year 4. Also still young. Just turned 24 yesterday.

Meanwhile Hooker hasn’t played a snap and he’s 35 years old :joy:

4 Likes

I wonder how he did in the “hat test.” That’s where you hand a prospect a hat. If they turn it around backwards, they clearly have no future in the NFL.

National Football League Laughing GIF by Detroit Lions

2 Likes

Penei’s First Team All Pro performance should put the “we should have taken Micah Parsons” debate to rest.

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Good call. Clearly he didn’t fail the hat test. In fact, he probably only owns a fedora, which countered the negative nose-ring grade, keeping him on our board.

1 Like

I never thought about the hierarchy of hats and how they should affect prospects’ grades.

Clearly, backwards baseball cap is a deal breaker.

But what about a beret? A fez? Yamulke? Top hat?

I’m very interested in diving into the details here.