Lions head coach Dan Campbell tries to pin blame on Jared Goff interception

Sorry, that BS. We all know if instead of a pick 6 it’s only a pick, the narrative just changes to Goff can’t make that mistake, especially in that part of the field.

The defense wasn’t stopping them, no matter where they got the ball.

The defense has to stop someone. When they don’t, it’s their fault. Offenses that must score every drive are going to make mistakes simply because they are forced to take chances. You’re forced to constantly go for it on 4th down because you must score every possession.

Simply put, just stop someone and they win the game. Just once.

1 Like

DC started with talking about the interception.

That may be. Or he simply didn’t factor in that Woolen runs a 4.27. He also three it a bit behind Hock. If he leads him Woolen has to probably dive to try and make that pick.

1 Like

Jared’s own words (30 seconds in), up for your interpretation:

1 Like

step brothers pow GIF

4 Likes

Let’s play this out going forward.

This Sunday, the Lions score a td with 4 minutes left in the game to take a 2 point lead. The defense hasn’t stopped anyone again. The Pats have scored points every drive. No punts.

What are you guys doing on the kickoff?

Deep and play defense?
Onside to try to keep the ball away from them? If you don’t recover, at least they have a shorter field so you might have more time left on the clock?

They Pats take the deep kickoff and drive for a field goal, but there’s only 30 seconds left. Who gets the blame if there’s a pick on the ensuing desperate drive? If it just comes up short but no pick? Going to say Goff has to lead them to points? It’s a shoot out, you had the ball last, gotta find points somehow?

Which way do you see Campbell going?
Going to blame Goff again? Especially if the score is 38-36? 45-43?

1 Like

I was hoping we would draft this guy when he slid to 5th round… but this is the first time I really hate the Trinity Benson trade.

Tonight Show Oh Snap GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

1 Like

Or just use that pick on Damone Clark and sit him for thr year.

I can’t get behind that one… LBs with cervical spine fusion surgery just don’t intrigue me. That’s like spending a 1st round pick on a RB with a traumatic concussion history IMO….

1 Like

It’s what I would expect my QB to say.

Where’s the head coach pointing out the Raymond fumble, recovered by Seattle. The one they took right down the field and scored a td off of.

Ohhh, yeah if I’m a Lions fan I’m disturbed by this. This comes off as tone deaf.

The real question might be is the better coach the OC. I mean if the Redskins could have a do over. I bet they find a way to keep McVay and let Gruden go. If I’m the Lions I’m more worried about losing Johnson then Campbell at this point.

Dan is blaming the offense because he’s got an offensive background and he’s protecting his friend. That seems like a conflict of interest to me. He should be furious about the defensive performance. Not a single punt forced. I mean it’s embarrassing.

2 Likes

Maybe DC feels the defensive confidence and trust is low and the Offense can handle a little humble pie to stay hungry.

The truth of the whole thing is that if Goff could tackle, it wouldn’t have been a pick 6 and this whole thing goes away. Ofcourse then Geno runs it in from 5 yards out the next play, but still. Goff needs to spend the next 3 days with those tackling dummies.

3 Likes

Meh, much ado over nothing.
Goff made a bad decision, he himself has stated this, saying it was a dumb decision. Campbell addressed it and moved on to more pressing issues from that game.

What you lead off with doesn’t always make it the most important item. DC knew the PC would focus on defense issues and rightly so where most of the time would be spent with questions so most of the time was spent addressing that in statement and questions.

There is plenty to be concerned over on this team what DC led off with in his PC is not one of them.

2 Likes

Haha if only our QB could tackle better, our defense would give up less points. That’s next level thinking. Stafford should really work on his tackling, he’s thrown 8 pick 6’s since 2020.

4 Likes

Anyone who watched the presser Sunday or listened yesterday knows that MCDC had plenty of blame to share. The author simply took this one piece and turned it into an article. Hell part of his whole reasoning as to why the INT hurt was how this game turned into a shoot-out because the defense sucked. He mentioned the INT, he mentioned the fumble. He mentioned the penalties.

Goff owned it, MCDC re-iterated it. Moving on.

4 Likes

Maybe. I’m not a Dr. On Day 3 I’m always interested in “market inefficiencies”. Clark’s injury may be one but I’d have no way of knowing.

1 Like

He’s currently #3

1 Like

I’ll say it again: in a 3-pt game, ANY number of play (hypothetically) would have changed the outcome.

Here’re some obvious ones for the Lions D.

3rd & 3 at SEA 42.
3rd & 7 at DET 49.
3rd & 1 at SEA 34
3rd & 4 at DET 39
3rd & 16 at DET 36
3rd & 2 at SEA 43
3rd & 5 at DET 41

Every single one of those plays was part of a drive that ended in a Seattle TD. If the Lions prevent the conversion on any of those, or simply hold to a FG, they win.

It’s fine to spread the blame around, try to head off dissension. But, in fact, it’s pretty clear where the lion’s share of the responsibility lies. And publicly pointing elsewhere doesn’t help, even if Jared and the O - god knows he’s been thru worse - are fine with it.

Not Campbell’s finest moment.

6 Likes

for sure not. …and still…a terrible throw. it happens.
He had a great game, and he displayed some GD Warrior Energy!

This entire article is a click-bait, messy energy fallacy.

Nobody in the locker room thinks Dan is blaming Goff for that loss…Not one person. Just something for some ppl to be drama queens over.

When taken out of context…yup
Also → every player on the team is being held accountable similarly.

I think it’s a good thing that they are close, and if he’s not getting the job done, they’ll move on (though it will be far more painful). Loving ppl love ppl. The whole staff is close.

2 Likes