Lions head coach Dan Campbell tries to pin blame on Jared Goff interception

For sure.
But, he can’t lay into the defense if he doesn’t lay into the QB. He’s walking a line.

1 Like

Perfectly stated, Holmes.

He’s 100% on board w/his coach and in agreeance
This entire conversation is just trying to pull drama from the stratosphere.
Look at who Dan is as a human…doesn’t even make sense that he’s blaming the loss on Goff.

The ppl that think that need to go watch some more sound bytes/clips from the “news” :wink:
Goff Loves Dan.
Dan Loves Goff.
They’ll do anything they can to help e/o.

3 Likes

Word!

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s clickbait. “You take away the 7 we spotted them and we win this game”. The quote is right there for everybody to see.

Dumb thing to say even with context. Your defense gave up 38 points to Geno Smith, your offense scored 42. The problems in that game were clear. Goff made one ugly mistake and a million great plays down a plethora of weapons to keep them even remotely in a game that should have been a blowout. To place any clear blame on Goff is idiotic and, quite frankly, triggers me haha.

1 Like

I LOVED this man. LOL.
SO good!

1 Like

“Right now, the answer is to, look, we’ve got to clean. Obviously, clean up there. And, I look at everything with (Aaron Glenn) AG. We’ll look at everything we need to," Campbell said. "To the scheme, to our personnel, and we’ll find the best fit and whatever we feel like’s going to give us the best chance and the best chance in three or four weeks, too. If that’s a young player, it’s a young player.

“But, we’ve got to outscore them. Honestly, there again, is – as messy as some of it was early, offensively, we can’t – you can’t be that way when you get in this type of game,” Campbell continued. "The offense is, that’s where this game went. It was high scoring, and so we have to outscore them. If you make a mistake, it can’t be for seven points.”

It isn’t out of context. Quit giving Campbell a pass. He quickly glosses over the defense. Doesn’t even say they need to make a stop. He just says 'Welp, need to ourscore them. We win if it wasn’t for a pick 6."

It’s pathetic. If I’m an offensive player and I read or hear that shit coming from my head coach after our defense gives up 48 points, I lose faith in him. It’s terrible leadership. Imagine working in your career and your department is lights out, breaking company records, but another department is losing the company money and your boss goes “We’ll look at the other department. But, the department that did amazing just needed to do better.” It’s pathetic.

8 Likes

Nothing to see here
…go watch Goff’s reaction in the video posted above.
Like I said…not one.single.player…in that locker room is spending an ounce of energy on this…purely drama for certain “beat writers” and fans.

3 Likes

It’s basically a nothing burger, imo. It’s a brief acknowledgement that it needs to be addressed. There is no reason for Campbell to even mention anything about the offense. If this is your idea of ‘accountability’, I think we just have two different ideas of what that means.

1 Like

You word if differently than what he did.

You say something along the lines of:

The defense had some serious struggles out there. We have a lot to clean up before the next game. The offense wasn’t without its own issues out there too. A pick 6 and a fumble that kills a drive. We, as a team, have to look in the mirror and find a way to do better. Each and every one of us. We win as a team, we lose as a team.

Tell me that isn’t better than “hey, my defense got jailsexed, but we lost because of that pick 6.

2 Likes

He’s holding his team accountable. All aspects of it as a leader of men should. Even when you win there are things we need to get better at and improve upon.

His mantra last year was that “we aren’t talented enough to make the same mistakes that other teams make and get away with” we have to be better.

It seems like it was an understanding going into the season that the defense would have some struggles especially with the injuries.

If i was a player on the offense/goff I would feel the same way and state the same thing. And I’m glad Goff mirrored these sentiments it shows leadership and humility. Everyone knows the defense is trash. But some games you have to pick up for the other side of the ball. Sometimes both sides are stagnant and the special teams has to come through. Dan and nfl coaches have been talking about complimentary football all the time.

But this author must have been skimming the message boards and knows how to capitalize on the emotionally reactive state of current fans who seemingly can only view things in extreme binaries as if two things can’t be true at once.

I personally didn’t see what Dan Campbell said as blaming. I’d personally be more upset if he felt the need to walk on eggshells or stay quiet about problems with the team just because OTHER problems exist. We won 3 games last here. We need to improve EVERYWHERE.

2 Likes

Both. There were 3 guys around TJ. He should have lead him more. This goes back to a lot of his throws with TJ. He didn’t place the ball well enough to make up for the late throw. What’s worse is he had time to roll out and try for something else.

1 Like

The biggest issue that I have is that he was asked a pointed question about how the defense could be challenged to improve and perform at a higher level and is response was 'well, the offense could not throw a pick six".

It’d be one thing if the question was about the game overall. Or even what the team could’ve done to do better. But to be asked a question specifically about the defense and deflect blame to the offense when it wasn’t even the topic of the question is the exact opposite of accountability.

3 Likes

VERY well said. I think this is more of Campbell showing trust and faith in Goff more than anything else. Indicating to him that he believes that he CAN be the guy to win us games and bail us out regardless of everything else going on with our defense and special teams. And it’s true. I’m glad to Goff responding well and showing some grit. I was concerned about him being super duper soft last year. He’s proving me wrong.

1 Like

Man I was thinking about what if we had him in development. I doubt he gets burned that bad in the Lockett deep play.

I still think we need a real DUDE at CB

1 Like

It’s drama season lol. People must have lost a lot of money on bets and are freaking out.

But I think these comments really show the growth between Goff and Campbell. I think we don’t have to wonder anymore if they are giving Goff an honest shot or not. Mentioning the pick 6 means Dan has ACTUAL higher expectations of Goff.

Likely that he went into the game knowing we wouldn’t be able to stop geno. Might even be the reason we were so aggressive when we didn’t need to be. Perhaps the thinking was that all we need to do is force a turnover to turn the tides. Because technically if geno smith throws the pick 6 and not Goff. We win.

1 Like

Very good comparison. The NFL is a ruthless business and I hate to say it, because I think AG is a great man and person, but he has no idea how to call a defense.

It’s like if you have a mechanic who is a great dude, so nice, super friendly, great conversation, gives you discounts but your car keeps falling apart. What would you do? Keep going back?

5 Likes

I am with on this one. He was asked specifically about the defense and went into how they need to evaluate everything and they will, but he said nothing about “hey the defense can not give up points on every drive”, instead he moves to "But, we’ve got to outscore them. Honestly, there again, is – as messy as some of it was early, offensively, we can’t – you can’t be that way when you get in this type of game,” Campbell continued. "The offense is, that’s where this game went. It was high scoring, and so we have to outscore them. If you make a mistake, it can’t be for seven points.”

So why call out points about the offense but not say a damn thing about the defense giving up 41 points and not forcing one damn punt?

I get calling out mistakes by both sides but do it equitably, call out the damn defense for giving up more points in the first 4 games than anyone ever has

4 Likes

Exactly. I see people calling this ‘out of context’ without acknowledging the actual context about this answer. It was asked specifically about the defense. He went out of his way to point out one of the few issues with the offense on Sunday while barely even acknowledging how bad the defense was.

3 Likes

All I have to say about that is, “Dan Campbell”.
He’s not a politician. He’s a football player turned head coach.
You and I (probably not me) might say it differently.
The players seem to like him.

1 Like

Not gonna lie. I’ve been cheering for him since he came here. I felt he was done dirty by McSleazy. Goff impresses me in that video as the consummate team player. Brags on Hock, brags on Ben, and still expresses faith in the D. I think he and Williams are the kind of guys that keep this locker room from potentially imploding

1 Like