Lions looking to extend Hock & AO

That was the point I was trying to make. That the Lions don’t need to fret him “walking.”

Absolutely! It’s not an either or situation. It keeps Hock happy, it sends the right message to the locker room, and Disner can structure it however they want for cap advantages. But regardless of whether they sign him long term or not, the Lions still have him under team control for 3 more seasons.

Regardless of what happens with Hock I assume they’ll add to the TE room. MCDC wants to run the ball, he’s a former TE, and Hock has trouble staying healthy. They need a legit #2 TE no matter what

1 Like

Hock needs to step it up. Way too many false starts and drops last season. I realize his morale was down from playing the Jarred GoffFul, but he better figure it out this year.

And AO better show he’s been working on his technique and assignments. He has a lot of turnovers but I won’t forget how often he was out of position. Fortunately the QB just went after weaker links on our defense

1 Like

If the Lions can extend Hock now past his rookie 4 year contract for say, 4 years/$48 million with $20 million guaranteed, it’s pretty much the same commitment from the Lions guarantee wise and they get him for 3 extra years. If he performs, it’s worth it, if he doesn’t, they can cut bait after 2024 and be where they were if they did the 5th year and franchise tag year. If I’m correct with how the contract works that is, which I could be completely wrong about.

1 Like

Hock did have 6 penalties last year, 2 were holding, and 4 were false starts, exactly the same as Decker who played in 1 fewer game. Drops? How about A drop.

Drop rating – 90.1, 1st (higher is better) with one drop on 84 targets.

Oh, and his reception rate was over 70%.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Hockenson really needs to step it up regardless of all of the benefit you’re trying to give him… he was a top 10 pick and hasn’t lived up to it.

Decker needs to regain his discipline as well.

The issue is, Hock doesn’t do anything after he catches the ball. His YAC/R is 3.6, which was the 4th lowest in the NFL for TEs. (Although, this might be because of the system DET runs now and the fact that Goff doesn’t throw downfield, like, ever.)

1 Like

It isn’t the “benefit” I am giving him unless you are saying my facts, the truth, are less meaningful than your lie about “drops”. He is an important part of this O and if you’re going to be butt hurt that he never performs like a top 10 pick that’s on you. Do I think we should have taken him that high? Nope, but we did, he’s a decent contributor and he’s not going anywhere.

Holding calls are gonna happen to the best of them, especially when your wearing a Lions jersey. But 4 false starts, common Hock! Focus!

2 Likes

I think Hock’s biggest issue is staying healthy and staying on the field. He’s finished 2 out of 3 years on injured reserve. His only full season, he made the pro bowl.

2 Likes

reupism?

Yep, Decker had 4 false starts too. Different QB, cadence maybe, or yes just simple focus. I guess we’ll know this season.

1 Like

Let’s see why that might be…1st catch he’s on his way out of bounds, 2nd catch his 2 yards from a TD, 3rd catch in stride for 10 yards and a first down, 4th catch over the middle for 10 yards after the catch, 5th catch again on the sidelines, 6th catch again for 2 yards and a 2pt conversion, again on the sidelines, etc. I’ve had people tell me Williams sucks because of his ypc. Well, when you need 1 and you get 1 1/2, you’re doing your job.

How’s about going thru this and explaining where he should have done better with YAC?

3 Likes

Lol you seem very charged up about my comments. I don’t expect him to live up to his top 10 pick but he def needs to step it up or be replaced. He isn’t exactly cheap which is my point about his draft status.

He blocks well but as @Davicus says he doesn’t get any YAC so we can easily get his production with a less expensive blocking TE.

I see no reason to let the false starts slide. The penalties were out of hand as a team and need to be addressed. I expect better for a 4 year veteran, and you should to.

So what is a top ten pic supposed to do to live up to it ?

So you lie about him and when I call you out that makes me “charged up”? Good to know. Any thoughts on the video I posted, like on any of those plays how he gets more YPC? And oh boy, yes, let’s just let get another TE like Wright who had 3 penalties, 2 for false start and 1 for holding, with 5 game starts? And he also had 1 drop in 17 targets, the same amount as Hock who apparently has a history of drops with how many attempts? We were tied for 14th in the league for penalties, hardly “out of hand”. Do you think throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks is a good way to go thru life? As a team we were tied for first for false starts, again, not sure why that is but any thoughts beyond Hock isn’t worth it? I expect more from someone that wants to be taken seriously, so far it’s been pretty disappointing.

2 Likes

I like it
I hope the signings get done

Will be awesome after these guys get 3-4 years in our system— the more players who play extended seasons here, the better (I think)
:+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Honestly has nothing to do with loving up to his top ten pick… he need to live up to getting a new contract with us because he is really pricey because of his top 10 status.

I see it like Okudah. I’m not banking or expecting him to turn into jalen Ramsey but he needs to step up it too and prove and he’s worth keeping around because if not we need to move on from them and keep building.

Jimmy Johnson would approve of those moves

1 Like

that, and he really needs a haircut.

2 Likes

Lol idk why your tone is so funny to me. The den must be the only place you have to feel big and bad.

Hockenson highlight tape was ok nothing to change my opinion. He’s good and needs to step it up. I haven’t watched the clip yet. I didn’t make the initial point about Hocks YAC. ALTHOUGH the season before this one he was playing HELLA SCARED. Going down right after the catch and playing like he had PTSD. He’s gotten better but needs to step it up if he wants big bucks

And I was wrong about the drops but Hockenson absolutely looked unlike himself this past season. He looked disconnected and demoralized in his disposition much like Goff did. Maybe it was the frustration of losing, maybe it was Anthony Lynn maybe it was his Goff but whatever it was needs to be fixed. Just like AO being out of position too much for my liking.

Hockenson and AO while decent NEED to show progress otherwise extending them feels just as exciting as re-signing tracey walker.

It’s funny, and sad, to see guys like you defend mediocrity so hard. And even bringing up other players and teams incompetence to justify it. We might have had the same amount of penalties as other teams but other teams didn’t go 3-13-1. We can’t afford to be sloppy like we were. If you’re not going to be the most talented atleast be the most sound.

We need real studs on this team if we’re going to be making moves in this league. and expectations for Hockenson are higher because of his draft status.

1 Like