Lions looking to extend Hock & AO

Hey he’s probably not Natty’s favorite player

2 Likes

Egg-Zackly!

1 Like

I heard a rumor Natty is growing it out for charity next year.

joe dirt 2 day GIF

2 Likes

Love it! I couldn’t’ grow hair like that though. If I tried to grow hair now, ppl would call me “patches”. LOL

2 Likes

It’s for charity though!!!

1 Like

Locking these two down with new contracts would be very unLions like. That’s a good thing. The only way to “build through the draft” is to lock down the talent you accumulate in the draft. If you’re letting guys walk, then what exactly are you “building”?

3 Likes

I have no idea why you’re being so aggressive. I stated a fact, Hock has a low YAC/R. I also stated that this is probably due to the fact that Goff rarely goes deep. Goff had the lowest Average Intended Yards in Air and the second lowest Average Yards in Air Completions. When the majority of your passes are caught probably in front of everyone besides the line, you’re going to have more people to fight through for YAC.

But don’t you find it revealing that in that highlight reel there are few examples of him making someone miss or breaking a tackle or pulling away from someone closing in on him to get more than just the amount needed for a first down? I don’t know, it’s easy for me to see this and want more out of him. That’s all.

2 Likes

Neither is good … at all… but I can understand a OLT being a little more anxious to get out of his stance against the best edge rushers… while some of Hock’s false starts were head scratchers.

clint eastwood kids GIF

1 Like

yep… I can overlook some holding calls when it is obvious Lions are getting shafted by Green Bay homers….

But…. Hock had some pretty bad “whiffs” in the blocking assignments last year… so that is a concern for the guy hyped up as a GREAT blocker when he was drafted.

1 Like

I agree with those that say both players still need to advance themselves

Especially Hock who had a subpar season in my mind
AO showed good progress last year

The tape was OK but you haven’t watched the clip yet…?

No, you didn’t make the initial point about YAC but you quoted it and I provided examples of why it was the way it was, you know the tape that was OK that you didn’t watch.

So defending a guy from lies who had 1 drop and caught over 70% of the passes thrown to him is = to defending mediocrity?

“and expectations for Hockenson are higher because of his draft status.” What an epiphany. I doubt you’ll find many people on this board that will say that drafting a TE top 10, even first round is questionable. So now what, get rid of him because he isn’t performing to that standard?

I didn’t defend his penalties, I wondered why they happened and also a high rate for Decker. We had a total of 8 false start penalties from the TE position last season, that has to be the highest in the NFL. Hock had 0 in 2020 and 2 in 2019. There absolutely is something that needs to be corrected and Hock is part of it.

We put a team on the field last season that had a new staff and players that had never taken the field together before and still were tied for 13th in penalties and were 11th in total yards penalized. Can we be better, absolutely, but we weren’t “sloppy”. Oh, and for a team that plays Green Bay
twice, that’s pretty good.

Just wondering was Hock demoralized after all those drops? Gotta tell you, going off your memory instead of actual tape and facts seems to be a scary proposition,

1 Like

I know it’s only game 2 but wondering if cats are still aggressively defending DropHim,Son getting a top contract?

AO in a important year is injured in week 2.

This will be interesting to track.

2 Likes

There are plenty of peeps here who are opposed to giving Hock anything more than a chance to prove he deserves a 2nd contract.

And… it certainly shouldn’t be a top 5 TE contract,…
and really not even a top 10 contract considering he is still under team control for a few more years.

4 Likes

If Hockenson is looking for top tight end money I’d let him test free agency. I’m just not seeing it with him. He does have the rest of the year to change my mind.

4 Likes

He is in year #4… and because of his 1st round draft status… we have him under contract for another year after this season.
No hurry to extend him.

He has time to change our minds……

I just hope the Lions take the time to realize he isn’t worthy of a big time deal.

6 Likes

We are not good enough of a team to let good players walk. We should have done TJ early this year when we could have gotten him for low $10M-$11M and guaranteeing one new year on contract (2024), next year will be $15M and guarantees through 2025.

1 Like

No doubt, if he’s signed, some will say it was too much
I thought he had a pretty good game yesterday but cannot comment on his blocking yesterday.

I view this as a Kenny Golladay situation. Letting him walk if he gets a huge deal and taking the comp pick (assuming nobody as expensive is signed to replace him) would be more advantageous than overpaying someone with mediocre talent just because “we can’t afford to lose talent” IMO. I think being smart with their money and how they invest it is exactly the kind of important strategy that can get this team into being a contender. With the figures you posted for Hock - I think it would be silly to invest those kinds of resources into a 40 yard a game TE with average at best blocking. Feels like you can get that production for far less

4 Likes

Also, if we’re being honest, does anyone feel like the Lions would lose much if they started Brock Wright at TE instead of Hock? Serious question.

4 Likes