Lions looking to extend Hock & AO

Nope

2 Likes

At the moment Brock is an afterthought for the defense. That’s not the case for Hock as a receiver. He’s dependable and gets open underneath. Brock’s one reception against the Commies looked smooth and athletic, but he’s not as refined a route runner as Hock.

Having said that, I can see him developing throughout this year and next to be equal or exceed what Hock is now. I think Mitchell has some chops to be revealed too, but he won’t get too many chances to show it without injuries this year.

Bottom line for me is it’s easy to pass on extending Hock this year.

2 Likes

The Lions are going to have expensive extensions in the near future for Sewell, St Brown and Swift. I’m not sure where they stand with AO. But I feel there are other players I’d commit too financially before Hock for sure.

2 Likes

Paying Hock would be downright stupid. He’s just not special at all. We’ve already paid him much more than he’s worth. We’re still going to add Jamo to the party and you’ll probably have to pay whopper money to St. Brown in the not too distant future if you want to keep him. Having 10+M wrapped up an a very average TE would be very dumb.

4 Likes

Agreed.

Unless they can be replaced with comparable players for less money. When it comes to Hock it’s hard to imagine his production couldn’t be replaced for half the money.

Having said that, the season is young and he might explode at some point.

As of today, 3.5 catches + 32 yards/game + decent blocking can be replaced for a lot less than $15m/year.

If he explodes and turns into Kelce, Kittle or Waller at some point this year and proves to be that kind of TE then yeah, got to find a way to keep him. To date, I just don’t think he’s shown that. Plus, he’s shown to perhaps be just a bit injury prone as well.

1 Like

IMO Hock has shown that he is a top 10 TE in the league over his career. He is clearly not a top 3 and probable never will be, but that is okay the Lions do not need a top 3 TE on the roster. Would it be nice yes, but it is not needed with the current build of the Offense.

With that said if the Lions want to extend Hock, I have no problem with that decision. I also trust Holmes and Campbell to talk with Hock and give him a reasonable offer for his next contract. If he doesn’t want to stay or is looking for more money then the offer from the Lions, I am fine if he moves on.

3 Likes

I think it was Shannon Sharpe when referencing drafting a TE early said, "If you want a receiver then draft a receiver if you want a blocking TE you can get one in later rounds.

I think Brock Wright can be that blocking TE who will get some catches. I think Mitchell would be more of a receiving TE and would like to see him get some reps. so IF Hock is looking for a big payday he definitely needs to step it up. He doesn’t impress as a stud blocker although he appears willing. He needs more “pizzazz” as a receiver. either getting open, making contested catches, or getting more YAC. And yes NO penalties. I was hoping for a Jason Whitten type player. A guy who made big plays when it mattered.

12 TDs in 40 Games over the last 3 seasons.160 catches so 4 per game and averaging 10 YPC. Like to see better numbers.
In his defense we didn’t have much to compliment him as a receiver so things should improve this year. NO need to pay him yet!

Another factor to consider with Hock, is 2 of the past 3 seasons he’s finished on IR. I’m always concerned with signing dudes with injury histories.

I hate to say it…but is Hock really that good?

I don’t think he is far enough beyond average to give him top money.

3 Likes

AO, hell yes.

Hock…Not top tier $$

2 Likes

I think he’s decent, but he will never live up to his draft status. Then again he didn’t draft himself. Bob Quinn did that.

1 Like

What’s up with Mitchell?
Has he played at all yet?

Mitchell looks slow to acclimate. Whether it’s the injury, bring a rookie, or what I have no idea. But clearly we’re going to have to be patient with him.

I don’t disagree. He hasn’t done much so far this year to impress. They may alter their plans if he doesn’t pick it up.

What’s the screenshot for? Yes, Mitchell is on the roster but inactive every week. You can’t get snaps if you’re inactive

I was just showing that he hasn’t played yet. I didn’t know he was inactive every week.

Where are you seeing that he’s “slow to acclimate”? Is that from the coaching staff or is this something you saw in preseason?

At this point, I’d rather have a third round pick than pay Hock top TÉ money

5 Likes

Me too. And I like Hock too!

This is just my general observation as someone who follows the team. He was not participating early because of injury and everything has been very quiet since

That is exactly what I’m seeing. I feel like we can easily replace Hockenson’s production based on what I have seen. I don’t see him progressing or getting better. I think we could draft his replacement or find a much cheaper free agent option.

I’d rather see us let him walk and get the comp pick for him as Luke suggested. I’m just not seeing it with Hockenson…

Also, I didn’t love Hockenson’s body language when I went to a practice in training camp. I also don’t love what I’ve seen from his body language In the regular season. Does anyone else feel this way?

1 Like