Lions meet with edge Bradley Anae

About as unathletic as they come:

Was on the Senior Bowl roster coaches by the Lions, fully expect us to pick him in the 2nd round. Would love him in the 3rd though.

1 Like

He makes some splash plays when he’s set loose on the pocket, but his lack of speed is visible when he has to chase down someone coming out of the backfield.

I’m convinced he is the guy that Patricia was talking about in the Senior Bowl film review video when he said “doesn’t show up on tape”. He impressed them there and totally wrecked the LT he faced, but watching him through an entire game is not that impressive. Still, I’d like to see him added, just a couple rounds later than I earlier expected.

i’m happy we get close up looks at these prospects…crucial, but in the end it’s just due diligence/business.

He’s definitely a playmaker! Not sure how it will translate to NFL

probably only if we whiff on Young early.

He sounds like a good fit for the defense, but not someone you pounce on early. I wouldn’t take him before our second pick in the 3rd round.

2 Likes

If we drafted him it would be against tendency, he just doesn’t have the length that we typically prefer. In the past 20 years the Pats never drafted an edge with less than 33 inch arms. They did wind up with Ninkovich and Van Noy, but they obtained them both very cheaply - Van Noy for a late-round pick and Ninkovich they picked up for peanuts as a street FA. Anae has a lot of other things we like in an edge, but it will be novel if we look past his length.

Great grab, in the third.

1 Like

At No. 85 only, I would hope.

he did look good at the Senior Bowl getting to the QB but so did Uche and I think Uche is a better overall player and can be that 3rd down LB/edge we need. Like you say if he is there late 3rd I am ok with it just because he is at a premium position, but he may make it to the 4th.

But he was unathletically unblockable at the Senior Bowl all week long and in the game. MP got a good long look. He’d be a LDE/JACK for us and in the 3rd/4th would be a guy who would push Okwara to start IMHO.

The Hawaii native was buried on the Utes’ depth chart as a true freshman (four tackles, two sacks in six games) but came on strong once given the opportunity in 2017. He started 10 of 13 games played that season, leading his squad with seven sacks and three forced fumbles while tying for the team lead with 10 tackles for loss among his 39 total stops. Pac-12 coaches voted Anae first-team all-conference in 2018 after he led the league with eight sacks among his 51 tackles, 15.5 for loss. He also broke up three passes and forced two fumbles as a junior. Anae repeated his first-team All-Pac-12 nod in 2019 and added third-team Associated Press All-American notice to the list after leading the Utes with 14 tackles for loss among his 41 total stops in 14 starts, 13 of which were sacks.

I think Anae’s 6’3 257 25 bench reps, fits us better than Uche’s 6’1 245 18 bench reps. I like Uche, but I try to look through the eyes of the people pulling the trigger. FWIW.

Hope your wrong on this one. I think the little bit of weight and 2 inches of height don’t make up for the difference in talent.

Uche is more athletic, better first step explosion, much better bend, faster overall. Both are high motor guys.

I think Uche has better upside.

I get what you’re saying, and agree Anaes slight size advantage fits MPs ideal. Would still think we got the short end between the two of them though.

Perfect fit then …

Let’s hope he’s not the next Ikaika Alama-Francis.

1 Like

He’s made good plays.
He’s also shown himself to be slow and not much of a threat to tackle anyone in space.
Still, as a pass-rusher he’s going to be looked at near the top of the 3rd round.

Twice…

So why the need to meet twice?

It’s possible. Uche would have to play JACK where Anae could play DE. I agree Uche is the more explosive, bendy guy. He’s just really short and that limits him in our scheme IMO.

2 Likes