Lions Mini Camp Notes

I think they will win the turnover battle more often than not. Goff will be coached to take better care of the ball, as well as have an entirely different scenario with WR and OL
The dudes we drafted all create turnovers…all of them.
Expecting some rookie growing pains, but also some big plays that we are not used to seeing. Lots of hard hitting and excitement.
Agree w/what you say about the DL and Okudah too. This could be really fun.

2 Likes

I have not read anything about Hutch showing some bend at the camp, so thanks for sharing, that is encouraging.

1 Like

Yeah, I hope so man. I am purposefully downplaying him so I can be surprised!

2 Likes

Ill look for the links, read 1 and saw a video talking about it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DR4xAXbnZhpA&ved=2ahUKEwi_nZi_neX3AhWnj2oFHTmYCiQQjjh6BAgLEAI&usg=AOvVaw3ao1yD48G0_S1i-XpP_1Ea

1 Like

Sorry I cant get the link to work, fixed it, the above link

https://theathletic.com/3312103/2022/05/14/lions-rookie-camp-aidan-hutchinson/

It was interesting to watch Hutchinson and second-round pick Josh Paschal go through those agility drills back to back because there was a clear contrast in styles. Both were at max-effort levels, but Hutchinson showed far more bend than Paschal in slicing through the bags.

3 Likes

Yeah he’s an edge “setter” not an edge rusher. Paschal is gonna make his money with his interior pass rush. That dude has some thick tree trunks for legs. You can see why he’s so explosive there. I really do think the plan is to put 6-10 more lbs. on him without losing the explosiveness.

3 Likes

I think so too! We desperately lacked interior pass rush, hopefully he can provide some and prevent QB’s from stepping up in the pocket.

3 Likes

Hoping Hutch can demand enough attention to help w/that too (free up the interior guys). Would love to see us put enough pressure on to limit opposition’s playbook, but I’m not perceiving us to be there just yet. Hoping I’m wrong, of course.

2 Likes

If we are going to get those 10 wins you keep talking about. The D-line better take a huge step forward.

3 Likes

I promise they will. I’m expecting inconsistency, but also more turnovers than you’d expect. Our guys are gonna be more disciplined, and trained to create turnovers. The type of things that help to “win at the margins.”

This knee cap thing is real, man. These dudes are gonna be dirt-nasty. Remember, we switched from a read’n’react style defensive front to an attacking 4 man front now too. With the personnel we have, I’d expect a fair amount of blitzing/gambling too.

1 Like

I never cared for Bly’s game He always seemed to arrive late on many tackles an also i thought he avoided the ground game a lot.

But I can’t like them all :grinning:

2 Likes

Dude was 180 lbs. He led the NFL in picks…that’s what he was Brought in for. Of course he avoided tackling RBs. Guy was smaller than me and playing NFL football.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Dre Bly was awesome, loved him! Best corner we had until Darius slay, in the lineage of great lions corners

2 Likes

I liked Slay a lot too. I would still take Bly over him though.
Loved 'em both.
When Bly went to the coaches and said he wanted to guard Moss 1 on 1 that game…and DID. WOW.

2 Likes

That was awesome, I forgot about that!

He was probably our best overall player on a lot of those 2000s teams

1 Like

Dude broke his hand and led the NFL in picks …WHILE WEARING A CAST. LOL

1 Like

Bly made some big plays for sure, but he also got burnt a lot. But, I guess Randy Moss could do that to anyone.

Side note, Dre Bly is a coach in college for UNC.

2 Likes

Im too young for Kircus comp but Patrick Edwards comes to mind!

Hoping pimp sticks!

2 Likes