Lions needs as of right now

I am curious what Lions fans are thinking at this point in the season. What positions should we target in FA, and the draft… anyone you like?

What would you say are the Lions biggest needs on offense, defense and special teams? … and. Why?

ST - Kicker - Clearly kicker has to be a top priority this offseason. Dan must have zero confidence in him since he never uses him. I honestly think kicker should be a priority in the draft. Let’s go out and get a kicker in the later part of the draft.

Punter - I know we have Fox but he must suck since we rarely punt on 4th down. Probably should look to fill this position in round two…. :triumph::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

WR - I think WR is a position of need. We need some veteran leadership in this group. Unfortunately I do not see that guy in this years FA. We will likely need to look towards the draft. I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting two.

TE - Now that Hock is gone we will need to find another TE. Preferably a better blocking option.

DT - I think we need two starters and I see this as one of our biggest needs. Probably the biggest. I’d love to see us attack this problem via FA and the draft.

LB - I think our defense is seriously lacking a difference maker at LBer and at the very least we need some upgrades. FA and the draft both offer some viable options. Holmes needs to find some upgrades.

CB - I would really like to see us consider drafting a CB in the first two rounds. Get me a guy with some size and speed. This years draft has some decent options and I think we will target one.

S - I want better safety play than we currently have. Especially a S/CB type who can help the coverage unit. I think we need someone to apply pressure on Walker and replace Harris. We won’t need to take one high but we should look to draft one. This years draft has some solid Safeties with coverage skills if we want to take one on the earlier side.

RB - Well Williams is a FA and Swift is hurt a lot. I think RB could be a bigger priority than fans think. I’m all for drafting one every year anyway. I think it’s time to add some more youth even if we bring Williams back.

QB - I know a lot of fans want us to draft a QB early this year. I still feel Goff is a viable option we can win with. His supporting cast is a serious issue. If we’re looking to replace him I feel we should wait another year. Keep building up that supporting cast first. Then make a decision in 2024. However I’d like to see us look to draft a quality backup. At the very least find a quality backup in FA.

4 Likes

WR - much lower priority for me. Assuming Jamo becomes that start WR we expect and St. Brown becomes our great #2. We still have guys under contract that will the roster in 2023. At the most, maybe a 3rd day pick if someone we like falls a bit.

TE - I’d love a Darnell Washington in this role.

DT - We really need what we though Brockers was going to be. Unfortunately we are paying him but not getting the player. I don’t see a great DT in the early rounds of this draft.

LB - I’d like to come out of this draft with a pair of LB’s. In most of my mocks (other than when Anderson falls to 5), I’m trading down with the goal of adding picks and ending up with a DB & LB with my first pair of picks and another LB with a 2nd rounder I pick up while trading. To’o’To’o & Overshown are 2 of my favories here.

CB - I’m looking for big CB’s. Johnson & Proctor fit the bill here. Some drafts I get them both.

S - Big is the name of the game again. Check out Skinner from Boise State. Johnson is listed as CB but plays more like a S in my eyes.

RB - a must. 2 likely needed.

QB - late round running QB to fight for #2 spot

1 Like

You basically named off all the positions needed upgrades.

We need a legit starting tight end that won’t break the bank.

Starting D tackle to Omg next to McNeil.

Re sign Elliot and go with a threesome of him, Walker and Joseph with Iffy as the 4th guy.

At Rb I say give Williams one more contract. Bring back Jackson and draft one plus overload the udfas with Rbs until you find a keeper.

We could use one veteran starting WR. Jamo, Brown, veteran, Reynolds and Raymond with hopefully a healthy Cepheus should do the trick.

RG needs to be upgraded in house somehow or with a late round draft pick. We can not spend more money on the o line. Big V needs to be a cap casualty.

LB…have to get a starting LB to compliment Rodriguez and Barnes.

At corner I say we roll with what we have and sign one vet and draft one in the second or third round. Let AO walk after this disaster lf a season by him.

3 Likes

We are a 2-6 team :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OG?

Dt
Lb
Dt
Te
Qb

In some order with first and 2nd rd picks

This is the second time I’ve seen this sort of comment regarding DTs in this draft. I think a (3 tech) DT is such a priority — anyone going to be available in FA?

We need at least one stud DL in 1st or 2nd

There are so many positions needing talent, I shouldn’t be surprised that virtually every position on the team could be labelled as having a need.

Biggest needs

1. A defensive coordinator.

2. Starting DT and DE to go with McNeil and Hutch

3. A Quarterback

I think RB is one of our bigger needs. Though we should be able to address it without apl that much capital allocation.

4 Likes

DT1
DT3
MIKE
Safety
CB2
CB3
DE

RB1
G
WR3
WR4
TE
QB1
QB2

K

Lions need to draft Bert Emanuel Jr. 6’3” runs a 4.51 40. 293 yards rushing. Who cares if it was just one game? It was against mighty Buffalo.

No point in going after a WR in FA. Our PS WR’s have played 10 times more than any FA WR’s this administration has aquired, and, they haven’t been productive when they did play… except JRey.

First a HC that doesn’t think you have to go for it on every 4th down would like to use my hi priced punter once in awhile.

Play makers we lack them every we’re

Then probably a new DC. These 2 things make the roster better.

DT is #1 priority, Daron Payne would be hudge.
Then I draft a 3T high that can get to the passer Like Tuli Tuipulotu.

LBs might be good if Barnes keeps it up along with Rodrigo. But I would like to add another in the draft.

CB need to draft one high alot of good ones at the top. Porter or Forbes would be great.

Also need a nickel guy a guy like Brain Branch. Can play safety or nickel him and Porter would make for a good get.

SS FA Von Bell one of the top guys I want would be great next to Kirby and is a playmaker, 2 playmaking safety’s would be nice to see.

Offense
We need another WR i don’t really like the FAs so much plus there expensive if you don’t love one. A guy I like Is Cedric Tillman I think he would be great complement to st. Brown and Jamo.

RB is high on my list, and the draft has a few, wouldn’t mind Signing FA Josh Jacobs think him a swift would be great combo. If I draft one Zach Cabernet would be a great complement to swift also.

TE the way we use them we need one but not a hi priority. Brant Kuthie is a guy I like as a pass cather Type TE.

And always need Oline man, I would draft one of them also.

QB if there is a guy they love go get him, if not you stay with Goff. I’m not sold on guys at the top. But if they are I’m ok with. Would like a guy later to develop or back up , i like the thought of Huskers guy Bo Nixs later in the draft.

2 Likes

My needs in order:

DT
QB
CB
LB

Need depth pretty much everywhere.

1 Like

If there were a game wrecking defensive tackle in this draft like suh or McCoy I’d take them first. Unfortunately there really isn’t. So I’d make Payne a priority in free agency but wouldn’t break the bank for him. Make him a top offer and see what happens. I’d do the same for one of the Bengals starters at safety. If they hit the market that is. Linebacker is an absolute need but we need to figure out who our defensive coordinator is and what scheme we’re going to run. If we go back to a 3-4 we’re going to need an off ball compliment to Hutchinson. A majority talent is also needed at corner. Okudah and jacobs are both solid but would be better with a #1 corner to pair with them.

On offense I think we can add a developmental talent in the middle rounds at receiver. We definitely need a running back. If brown leaves we’re going to need someone that can backup at center and guard.

Overall I think we go heavy defense the first 3 rounds and then go best player available to fill out the roster and depth. Hopefully we can fill a huge need or two in free agency.

1 Like

I agree. I wonder if we’ll negotiate a long term deal with Okudah. His contract ends after next season without picking up the 5th year. He’s played well this year, but he’s still a bit of an unknown and its unknown if he can stay healthy. It might be a good time to lock him up as I would expect him to get more expensive. Or do they trade him as 2019 1st rounder Hock was traded? Personally, I think Holmes values the CB more than TE so he might get paid here.

This could be a tough call. I think it depends on how high they are on a QB in this draft. You have to figure that it takes two years for a QB to ramp up. We probably are seeing that with Fields and Lawrence right now as they improve. Goff is taking up cap space that could help a rebuild. But I don’t think they should shoehorn themselves into a QB just because that is how the timeline was built day one.

There are more needs than capital to address than in 1 offseason, like most teams…

I dont want to wait for a DT to become That Guy. They need That Guy right now.

FA-Daron Payne, kinda dont care cost wise, we just chopped $8m net out of next year w Hock gone. It’s the biggest need on defense and maybe the team.
Focus your energy on solving this issue, since FA comes first. That gives you draft flexibility as far as trade up/down and position flexibility.

FA- MLB 4-3 set. Same story as the DL. We have 2 young guys who look like winners. Get a pro in between them that can Captain the D.

FA OURS- Re-sign Justin Jackson. Re-sign Evan Brown. Swaggy 2 years more. Extend Jonah. Cut big V, Brockers, Anzalone and the patchwork borderline vets in the secondary, whoever the team thinks they are (GUYS NAMED HUGHES…)

Draft-

1.5 BDLPA
1.9 :grin:CB- Jacobs can fight w him 4 outside CB. Loser still plays a lot. Chase Lucas and Harris at 4 and 5.
2.37- This is LB territory if they dont hit one in FA. Otherwise this could be RB or OL
2.Minny- RB if we didnt get one, otherwise OL or depending on Walker, safety.
3.ourpick- TE? BPA? OL if we didnt get it?
3.TraderBradStrikesAgain. I think he flips the Minny 3rd in 24 and our 4th to move up and grabs a Brad Special S or LB depth.
4-traded
5th- Developmental QB.
6th- KICKER
7th- The Red Fuzzy Monster from Bugs Bunny. Someone who is like it, that just likes hitting and is angry. Zach Follett only a redhead and not so Jesus-y. Seeing that guy blast people into the Astral Plane (Amendola, sorry bro) and then John 3:16 them felt incongruent…

2 Likes

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the team. I’ve been meaning to look up which QBs are likely to be around later in the draft

This

Wins.

Not blowing off your topic @Air2theThrown , I think it’s a very good one. That’s just my honest answer for needs as of right now. Get some wins (or don’t) and let’s see where the players (and COACH) stand in all of our eyes nine games from now.

1 Like