Lions needs as of right now

tP4

3 Likes

While I’m all for going after Payne, the apathy on this board for Jalen Carter makes me think I’m taking crazy pills.

Basically every draft evaluator thinks he’s an all-world prospect while everyone on here seems stuck on the shrug emoji. Yes, evaluators are wrong often enough, but not generally when the consensus for a guy is so unanimously optimistic. He’s getting Chase, Penei, Bosa Bros, Ramsey level love.

But rather than go on and on about the things I like about him, I thought I’d share a couple of opinions from people in the space. And these aren’t unique, they’re basically status quo. (I tried to queue it to the right spot but if I messed up it starts at the 30:23 mark):

1 Like

I don’t get it either. But not many are really into draft season yet.

1 Like

Yeah I suppose. But there’s been plenty of opinions floated about Carter at least.

1 Like

Hasn’t Carter been nagged with knee injuries this year? I think after Owmybackhurts people are a little leery of big DTs with nagging injuries

He has, yeah, but he’s been back for a couple of weeks. And if you watch the vid those guys waxed poetic about his game against Tennessee, even though some on here thought it was meh.

1 Like

In fact here’s a great summation of his game against Tennessee, in which the author finishes by positing Carter reminds him of Ndamukong Suh.

1 Like

If I were doing a needs draft I’d probably target these guys:

Jalen Carter with that top pick. I might not get him, so I’d probably switch to Ringo depending on where we draft and keep rolling unless Bryce Young dropped. Assuming Anderson isn’t there.

Kelee Ringo or Joey Porter with that other 1st rounder . Good sized cover CB who can play man and fight 50/50s and screens. If I had to go Ringo with the first pick, I’d look at what QB dropped or trade out.

Antonio Johnson or Brian Branch as a slot safety type. I feel like a good upgrade on Will Harris could really make a difference with the way AG like to play D. Maybe the high 2nd rounder could net us one of these guys.

A road grading RG like O’Cyrus Torrence from Florida. We need a guy to run behind on short downs. He probably won’t be there in the 3rd, so I might have to look in FA or lower rounds but I haven’t gotten that far on other types like this in the draft.

I’d probably go after another DT if the value was there. Like Mazi Smith

We need a Mike LB. I am not great at evaluating these types. We seem to need a really special player here who can do everything, but Holmes doesn’t value MLB so it leaves me wondering what we’ll do here. I might look at the kid from Florida in the later rounds, but I haven’t looked at many.

I would also try to land the WR from Tennessee Cedric Tillman to pair with Jamo and ARSB if we could land him in the mid rounds.

Then I’d probably go after a RB. With my wish list above, I’m probably not getting a top shelf guy, but I’d love to add a good runner . If I didn’t like any, I’d probably look at TEs like Cade Stover in the later rounds. I would love to add that massive TE UGA has, but it looks like he is going to go too high and we have other needs to be burning a pick on that.

1 Like

I didn’t think Carter was Suh like until the UT game. I don’t know how good the UT interior line is, but Carter did what he wanted in the limited time he played. Just like Suh. I was impressed.

One smart thing I did this year was start putting all NCAA games in my youtubetv library to watch later. Total junkie move, but I’m enjoying it.

2 Likes

I love it. I do something similar on fubo. Junkies unite! And outside of Oklahoma State I honestly don’t really give af how they turn out, I’m just watching for NFL prospects. Oh I guess if a game has a good finish I can get into it. That Clemson-Wake Forest game was one of the better games I’ve seen.

1 Like

Probably because many of those same draft evaluators said okudah was on the same level as lattimore and hockenson was kittle. I have no doubt carter is a very talented lineman. He may end up being insanely good. I just want to see it when I watch him play. When i watched suh or McCoy in college it really didn’t matter how many guys you assigned to block them. They were going to wreck your offense all day every play. That’s what I’m waiting to see from carter. He has the talent.

1 Like

lol, so after you made the Okla St comment I had to zoom in on avatar. For years I thought your avatar was an Alabama logo.

Really? Hell I hope no one else thinks that. I didn’t even consider it. Maybe I’ll change it my beloved Villa just came out with a new crest today, oddly enough.

The Tennessee game this past weekend would qualify IMO. Check out that summation link about it I posted earlier.

DT, LB, DE, RB, OL, CB, WR, and depth.
How many picks do we have?
Those are actual needs.
But yeah, lets take a QB and neglect the real problems, so, we can ruin another young QB and dog his lousy ass when he can’t will out a win.

I’ll check it out.

Running back we can probably get in free agency if we have to. Maybe receiver for depth if the draft board doesn’t fall our way. We can be fine next season with st brown, jamo and Reynolds. Although I’d prefer to see jamo in the slot. We can also get by at defensive end IF we land a pass rushing defensive tackle. Depth on the offensive line is good if we can bring back brown. I think kraemer can be good when he gets healthy.

We need massive upgrades in talent at linebacker and corner. I’m not sure yet what we have at tight end. We should know by the end of season. We probably need another starting safety. I don’t want to have to count on Walker or iffy. If we can draft a couple good corners maybe jacobs moves back to safety. Bottom line is we just need a ton more talent across the board.

Great post!

Here are my thoughts…

1. Goff costs us 31M a year the next 2 years and is the #11 rated QB in the world. When you consider we are spending 60M on Romeo, Brockers, Flowers, Big V etc… you should accept we have bigger fish to fry… Given the odds are far better that we run into Mitch Trubisky than Pat Mahomes… I am passing on a QB unless I love the value-

2. Here is my depth chart assessment for 2023-
    QB: Goff… B-
    RB: Swift… C because he can’t stay healthy and we have zero depth under contract
    WR: Jamo/ASB/Reynolds/Raymond… B- tough to be excited since we can’t get or stay healthy
    TE: Wright/Phillips… D+ they could impress by year end, but right now we have a weak ass TE room
    LT: Decker… B
    RG: J Jackson… B+
    C: Ragnow… A
    RG: Sternberg… D
    RT: Sewell… A-
    OL Depth under contract: D- nobody of note!

Edge: Hutch… B+ and I expect this to climb
NT: McNeill… C+ he should lose 20 pounds and play 3T, but right now he’s a soft NT
DT: Levi O… D he can’t stay healthy period
BDE: Pachal… C+ this could easily climb

• DL Depth… C with JO and C Harris under contract, but nothing at DT!
    WLB: Rodrigo… B better than could have hoped for
    SLB: Barnes… C but showing some signs?
  • LB Depth… D- nobody?
    CB: Okudah/Jacobs/Lucas… C needs a playmaker
    S: Walker/Joseph… B+ if Walker fully recovers that is…
  • DB depth… D nobody?
  1. so if I really process that depth chart for 2023 and beyond… I need a DT, WR, RB, TE, RG, an d LB in the starting lineup next year… and we could really use a CB and S for depth… That’s 8 improvements on our current roster… and I am plugging Jamo into that so really it’s 9-

2. I bet if all 9 of those positions was retro actively solved we have a 6-3 or better record right now, nad we are likely not talking about Goff… Why? Because if he had 2 better WRs, a solid starting RB and a RG then he’s likely in the top 3 in the league in passing stats…

3. Free agency I am all in on Daron Payne, J Bradberry, H Hurst, and A Amos… We get some experience, and ideal size/speed guys who simply make plays… That takes me down to WR, RB, RG, LB, and Edge in the draft?

Trade down!

I would expect we draft about #6 and #13 when it’s all said and done… If it’s me I’m trading down at least once to pickup 2 mid round picks… Why? Well we need a lot of complimentary pieces, and we need them on the field… Here is a recent mock draft-

I traded the #6 pick for #12, #45, and #86

1. Joey Porter Jr- CB-1/2
  2. Bijan Robinson- stud RB
  3. Noah Sewell- 3 down ILB
  4. Will McDonald IV- feldman freak #5 rush edge with 31.5 TFL and 26 sacks in last 32 games!
  5. Tuli Tuipulotu- a 6’4" 290 rush DT who I think can play 5 tech in a 3-4, or 3T in a 4-2-5…
  6. Andrew Voorhees- or any RG who they think is plug and play
  7. KJ Jefferson- 4 star recruit, plus arm, projected 4.69 forty time, with accuracy for a mobile QB and limited turnovers… I kind of see Dak Prescott clone here?
  8. Xavier Hutchinson- We need somebody over 6’1’ at WR-
  9. Will Reichard- or whichever 6th rounder kicker they like better…

AND…

QB: Goff/KJ Jefferson (we add a wildcat and goal line package day 1 here) or Daniels, Hooker, Nix?
RB: B Robinson/Swift … WOW!
WR: Jamo, Hutchinson, ASB, Reynolds, Raymond- solid
TE: Hurst, Phillips, Wright
LT: Decker
LG: J Jackson
C: Ragnow
RG: Voorhees
RT: Sewell

I’m switching us to a 3-4 if I’m in charge…

5T: Tuli Tuipulotu/Pachal
NT: McNeill/Buggs
DT: Payne/Levi O

Edge: Hutch/C Harris
WLB: Rodrigo/Board
ILB: Sewell/Barnes
SLB: Will McDonald IV/C Harris

CB: Okudah/Joey Porter Jr
FS: K Joseph/T Walker
SS: Amos/D Elliott
CB: J Bradberry/J Jacobs

I’m sorry but if we add a blocking TE who can catch like Hurst… a FREAK RB like Bijan Robinson, improve our size and power at RG, and a 6’3" fast WR- and Jamo? Does anyone question we would be a top 5-6 offense next year?

I love when I see a size speed WR like Hutchinson who haw 40% of his teams receiving yards and TDs but his stats are held back by awful QB play…

Then on D?

we are adding…

D Payne, Tuli, W McDonald, N Sewell, J Porter Jr, Bradberry, A Amos, and for all intents and purposes T Walker to the current defense…

You don’t think a team would trade from #11-13 up to #6 for the last QB? I gave up #6 and a 6th round for #12, 44 and 86… Not a crazy trade?

Crazy question if Arkansas and Alabama trade rosters does KJ Jefferson go to 7-2 and Bryce to 5-4?

Who’s Phillips?

Man you really hate Young, don’t you? Playing for a good college team does not equal NFL failure at QB. If that was the case, why wouldn’t all the good high school QB prospects choose to go to mid programs?

To me, Young has the most beautiful QB brain since Luck. That means a lot.

2 Likes