Lions needs as of right now

There are more needs than capital to address than in 1 offseason, like most teams…

I dont want to wait for a DT to become That Guy. They need That Guy right now.

FA-Daron Payne, kinda dont care cost wise, we just chopped $8m net out of next year w Hock gone. It’s the biggest need on defense and maybe the team.
Focus your energy on solving this issue, since FA comes first. That gives you draft flexibility as far as trade up/down and position flexibility.

FA- MLB 4-3 set. Same story as the DL. We have 2 young guys who look like winners. Get a pro in between them that can Captain the D.

FA OURS- Re-sign Justin Jackson. Re-sign Evan Brown. Swaggy 2 years more. Extend Jonah. Cut big V, Brockers, Anzalone and the patchwork borderline vets in the secondary, whoever the team thinks they are (GUYS NAMED HUGHES…)

Draft-

1.5 BDLPA
1.9 :grin:CB- Jacobs can fight w him 4 outside CB. Loser still plays a lot. Chase Lucas and Harris at 4 and 5.
2.37- This is LB territory if they dont hit one in FA. Otherwise this could be RB or OL
2.Minny- RB if we didnt get one, otherwise OL or depending on Walker, safety.
3.ourpick- TE? BPA? OL if we didnt get it?
3.TraderBradStrikesAgain. I think he flips the Minny 3rd in 24 and our 4th to move up and grabs a Brad Special S or LB depth.
4-traded
5th- Developmental QB.
6th- KICKER
7th- The Red Fuzzy Monster from Bugs Bunny. Someone who is like it, that just likes hitting and is angry. Zach Follett only a redhead and not so Jesus-y. Seeing that guy blast people into the Astral Plane (Amendola, sorry bro) and then John 3:16 them felt incongruent…

2 Likes

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the team. I’ve been meaning to look up which QBs are likely to be around later in the draft

This

Wins.

Not blowing off your topic @Air2theThrown , I think it’s a very good one. That’s just my honest answer for needs as of right now. Get some wins (or don’t) and let’s see where the players (and COACH) stand in all of our eyes nine games from now.

1 Like

tP4

3 Likes

While I’m all for going after Payne, the apathy on this board for Jalen Carter makes me think I’m taking crazy pills.

Basically every draft evaluator thinks he’s an all-world prospect while everyone on here seems stuck on the shrug emoji. Yes, evaluators are wrong often enough, but not generally when the consensus for a guy is so unanimously optimistic. He’s getting Chase, Penei, Bosa Bros, Ramsey level love.

But rather than go on and on about the things I like about him, I thought I’d share a couple of opinions from people in the space. And these aren’t unique, they’re basically status quo. (I tried to queue it to the right spot but if I messed up it starts at the 30:23 mark):

1 Like

I don’t get it either. But not many are really into draft season yet.

1 Like

Yeah I suppose. But there’s been plenty of opinions floated about Carter at least.

1 Like

Hasn’t Carter been nagged with knee injuries this year? I think after Owmybackhurts people are a little leery of big DTs with nagging injuries

He has, yeah, but he’s been back for a couple of weeks. And if you watch the vid those guys waxed poetic about his game against Tennessee, even though some on here thought it was meh.

1 Like

In fact here’s a great summation of his game against Tennessee, in which the author finishes by positing Carter reminds him of Ndamukong Suh.

1 Like

If I were doing a needs draft I’d probably target these guys:

Jalen Carter with that top pick. I might not get him, so I’d probably switch to Ringo depending on where we draft and keep rolling unless Bryce Young dropped. Assuming Anderson isn’t there.

Kelee Ringo or Joey Porter with that other 1st rounder . Good sized cover CB who can play man and fight 50/50s and screens. If I had to go Ringo with the first pick, I’d look at what QB dropped or trade out.

Antonio Johnson or Brian Branch as a slot safety type. I feel like a good upgrade on Will Harris could really make a difference with the way AG like to play D. Maybe the high 2nd rounder could net us one of these guys.

A road grading RG like O’Cyrus Torrence from Florida. We need a guy to run behind on short downs. He probably won’t be there in the 3rd, so I might have to look in FA or lower rounds but I haven’t gotten that far on other types like this in the draft.

I’d probably go after another DT if the value was there. Like Mazi Smith

We need a Mike LB. I am not great at evaluating these types. We seem to need a really special player here who can do everything, but Holmes doesn’t value MLB so it leaves me wondering what we’ll do here. I might look at the kid from Florida in the later rounds, but I haven’t looked at many.

I would also try to land the WR from Tennessee Cedric Tillman to pair with Jamo and ARSB if we could land him in the mid rounds.

Then I’d probably go after a RB. With my wish list above, I’m probably not getting a top shelf guy, but I’d love to add a good runner . If I didn’t like any, I’d probably look at TEs like Cade Stover in the later rounds. I would love to add that massive TE UGA has, but it looks like he is going to go too high and we have other needs to be burning a pick on that.

1 Like

I didn’t think Carter was Suh like until the UT game. I don’t know how good the UT interior line is, but Carter did what he wanted in the limited time he played. Just like Suh. I was impressed.

One smart thing I did this year was start putting all NCAA games in my youtubetv library to watch later. Total junkie move, but I’m enjoying it.

2 Likes

I love it. I do something similar on fubo. Junkies unite! And outside of Oklahoma State I honestly don’t really give af how they turn out, I’m just watching for NFL prospects. Oh I guess if a game has a good finish I can get into it. That Clemson-Wake Forest game was one of the better games I’ve seen.

1 Like

Probably because many of those same draft evaluators said okudah was on the same level as lattimore and hockenson was kittle. I have no doubt carter is a very talented lineman. He may end up being insanely good. I just want to see it when I watch him play. When i watched suh or McCoy in college it really didn’t matter how many guys you assigned to block them. They were going to wreck your offense all day every play. That’s what I’m waiting to see from carter. He has the talent.

1 Like

lol, so after you made the Okla St comment I had to zoom in on avatar. For years I thought your avatar was an Alabama logo.

Really? Hell I hope no one else thinks that. I didn’t even consider it. Maybe I’ll change it my beloved Villa just came out with a new crest today, oddly enough.

The Tennessee game this past weekend would qualify IMO. Check out that summation link about it I posted earlier.

DT, LB, DE, RB, OL, CB, WR, and depth.
How many picks do we have?
Those are actual needs.
But yeah, lets take a QB and neglect the real problems, so, we can ruin another young QB and dog his lousy ass when he can’t will out a win.

I’ll check it out.