Lions Pass Blocking v Chargers

Was 4th and 1 no? Also the nice thing about watching that play was how well our pocket kept Stafford clean. LA brought four and Stafford had all day to find a window

1 Like

Yea, I guess it was 4th and 1

Even worse.

When the defense has 9 guys right there on the LOS or quite near it, it’s suicide to try to pound it in there. Call the misdirection stuff, naked bootleg, use Ty Johnson’s speed to the outside. Either that or WTH, just dump it off to your TE.

1 Like

I think the run blocking looks horrendous.

It did some plays

And others they gave KJ and TJ nice holes. See the slowlights

Just not consistently enough.

Our run game was good enough to make the play action passes effective. But not consistently good

The offensive line needs to follow through with their blocks and reach the 2nd level. KJ made a lot of plays on his own.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it appeared to me that the Chargers crowded the LOS cuz they didn’t want to give up another 200 yards on the ground. Which made the run-blocking kinda hard. It’s one of the reasons why play-action passing works so well, if you can catch the LBs up on the LOS then you’ve got some space underneath the secondary for Amendola and the TEs to work.

I appreciate the emphasis on running the ball more often, but IMHO you’re crazy trying to run it against an 8 man front.

2 Likes

call me crazy, but I don’t think our defense is just “get the QB !” I think Patricia wants the D to stay fluid and take away passing and running opportunities more. they might have a guy maybe two getting pressure on the QB ‘at times’ but I don’t think it’s : get sucked into only getting after the QB and leaving other areas covered to a lesser extent.

i agree 100%–the dl didn’t impress that much—but with no cable tv—and from the highlights on this board–they didn’t get too much penetration–and the def ends --what happened?

It isn’t just ‘get the QB’, but damn, when the guy has all day to sit back there and wait for somebody to come open, it kinda leads to completions and 1st downs. Which they will cuz no secondary can cover today’s NFL receivers for that long. You just have to apply pressure on the QB, that’s what we paid Trey Flowers those big bucks to do. And that’s why we picked up Daniels for a cool $8 mil.

I get it, those guys were dealing with injuries that kept them from practicing and getting into peak NFL physical shape. I suspect after the Bye week they should be good to go, all of them unless there are further injuries. That’s when we should see this defense take off; that GB game is going to be HUGE.

Good point, didn’t notice

Not to mention that’s why that screen pass went for a touchdown

Thank God he was wide open The way he bobbled the ball until he reeled it in LOL

2 Likes

He was wide open because Stafford totally sold it by looking in the opposite direction until the last split second. That play was a thing of beauty!

2 Likes

For sure. Great play design, great call and great execution

Not used to seeing all three of those at once on a Lions play LOL

3 Likes

That’s also great coaching. One criticism I’ve had of Stafford is not looking off his intended target enough. Looks like Bevell is having an impact there. Plays like that get me excited about the future.

3 Likes

CloudApp

1 Like

I’m secretly hoping that Crosby plays next week and plays well! He then keeps the job for the next several years.

Yeah that’s far fetched, so sue me…lol :crazy_face:

That would solve a lot of problems going forward. You’d let Decker leave in free agency and not have to use another first rd pick on a LT.

Decker may be benched when he comes back. He has not performed well in a couple years and Crosby did just fine against some real talent in SD.

Agnew should be cut to bring Powell back.
CJ should be cut to bring Zenner back, who is simply better.
Both should have made the team over these guys. Admitting you made a mistake is hopefully a quality Quinn has.

And while we’re on the topic, super blocks by Glasgow and Ragnow.

I like all these moves except Decker. he’s proven himself. We leave him on an island, and Crosby had alot of TE help. Not ready to think Crosby is better than Decker.

1 Like