Lions Radio: 'Right Now, It Looks Like Brad Holmes Hooked His Boys Up'

This is all I’m saying. But then next year becomes critical and now next year we might have to actually give up resources rather than simply sit tight and take one. Assuming we win 6-8 games.

It might not seem like it now, but the passing on Justin Fields is going to cast a long shadow if he explodes, and then they have give up resources to get a rookie. Then that rookie doesn’t pan out or is inferior to Fields. This is negative thinking of course, but forgive me I’m a Lions fan. At least we’ll have Sewell and whatever the picks generate.

1 Like

Very cool. I transferred to CMU, because I was pursuing a teaching degree. Lived in Carlisle Hall, while at FSU. While others complained about the food, it was the best I had ever eaten in my life, up to that point. LOL.

2 Likes

We traveled to CMU for a couple of parties and drinks at The Bird (I think that’s what the name of the little bar was), it was all a big,drunken mess…fun, got some stories that i still tell to this day. What a blast!

4 Likes

I remember going from CMU to Big Rapids to see Verve Pipe at a bar. They were a good live band back in the day, for the area anyway, although I didn’t really like what they did when they went commercial.

1 Like

My god, there is a reason I don’t listen to this crap.

When Matt was moved, I understood and thought it was a short-term value for mid-term value trade.

For those saying it is up to Brad to ensure that the picks bring that value, correct.

I also believe we picked up the extra first rounder for taking on Goff’s contract and we have his value as a bridge until we pick our next long-term QB. But, if our offense is going to be a run/play action based scheme, Goff might be a good fit for that. Guess time will tell.

Regardless, the trade made sense when we did it. To over-react now because the Rams got what they were aiming for is silly. They didn’t hide they were making a run and they succeeded. Good for them. We let a very good QB go for an opportunity to speed up a much needed rebuild. So far, that also looks like we are moving forward in that direction. But going from very bad to .500 team is the easy part. We mostly have all seen that before. It is that next step I would very much like to see and sustain. Yes, I am even missing Wayne Fontes these days.

1 Like

Awesomeness, brother! CMU was really good to me.

1 Like

Same. Forgot all aobut that.

1 Like

Truth

Aaron Rodgers on Matt Stafford:

Rodgers was having a conversation with ex-Indianapolis Colts punter Pat McAfee and ex-Packers teammate and linebacker A.J. Hawk about his no-look pass to wideout Davante Adams last Sunday before praising Stafford for making those types of throws routinely (around 35-second mark):

"I must say this. You know, a guy who probably doesn’t get anywhere near the credit for doing s–t like that all the time, he wears No. 9 and plays in Detroit.

"That dude, what he does with the ball, it’s impressive. It’s really, really impressive.

“I’m not here for any Matthew Stafford slander. … I’ve always been a big fan and he’s one of the most gifted throwers of the football in my generation,” Rodgers said.

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/aaron-rodgers-praises-matthew-stafford#:~:text=“I’m%20not%20here%20for,my%20generation%2C”%20Rodgers%20said.

6 Likes

Out of likes.

Oh there’s no doubt about that…though the music snob in me has to chirp that it’s more the Ramones have an MC5 feel to them than the other way around.

MC5 is one of those Ur proto punk bands along with the Stooges and the New York Dolls and others that planted the seeds of what was to come later on both sides of the pond.

Between the Stooges and the MC5, Michigan has quite a role in the fascinating story of Punk.

2 Likes

Ahhh…so these dudes are older than the Ramones?

I used to go to see The Howling Diablos when they came to Mt. Pleasant too. Really unique sound. Loved their stuff.

Yep, MC5 was doing their thing starting in 1963 but really hit their peak power in like 68/69.

This is a fun rabbit hole of the Detroit punk scene:

3 Likes

:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

I THINK Dan will stand pat with Goff to SEE what he can do with new “improvements” made to/added to-the team, not just replace him with Joe Dick QB…first. buuut I’ve been wrong before on occasion. :sunglasses:

Not trying to pick on you in particular, but the take that was spun that the Lions got an extra 1st for Goff was an absolute sh*t take. For starters, the 8th overall pick is worth 1400 points. At most, a future pick is worth the value of the last pick in the 1st round. Usually future picks get further discounted, especially ones that are 2 years out. The value of the last pick in the 1st round is worth 590 points. Even if you keep that value and multiply it by 2 you get 1180 points. Now add in the 3rd rounder we got, which is 96 points and we are at 1276 total points. The Panthers also offered a 5th rounder, so lets say an extra 25 points. So the Panthers offer was 1425 points and the Rams offer was 1276 points. Where is that instance would it make sense for the Rams to “throw in a 1st rounder to take Goff’s contract”. More then likely, Holmes viewed future picks more of an asset because last year we were dealing with a lot less information on that class due to COVID. This year and next they would be able to do a much more thorough evaluation of the incoming class. Also I’m sure he knew this team was a couple years away and getting premium talent on a rookie contract might mean a lot more it its closer to when we anticipated being competitive.

Even with all that aside, Carson Wentz was able to fetch a conditional 2nd rounder that turned into a 1st. They both had very similar contracts. Both had success early in their careers. The biggest difference is Wentz played like the worst QB in the NFL over his final two seasons in Philly, was constantly dealing with injuries, and was supposedly a terrible teammate. Goff was mediocre to below average during that time, but not nearly as bad as Wentz and he stayed relatively healthy and was a great teammate.

If Wentz could fetch a conditional 2nd in 2021, there is no way Goff would not have been worth at least that.

3 Likes

I think the biggest factor was the OC he had never any imagination lombardo and cooter were the worst when he was in his prime.

No offense taken at all. I might have a “sh*t take” but it is mine. I might very well be wrong and it surely will not be the last time. Regardless, thank you for your research and response. If I am reading your response correctly, we picked up Goff’s contract for the difference of 1425 and 1276 (ie 149).

In the end, I like the trade. I like it even better with your interpretation.

Have a great one.

2 Likes

Just for clarification purposes, it wasn’t your take that I was responding too, but the general media’s take. At the time of the trade, many “talking heads” said the Lions got the extra 1st for taking on Goff’s contract with literally nothing to back that up. Honestly I called BS then as well as it just didn’t line up.

1 Like

IMO the draft compensation for the trade was pretty close, but it did slightly favor Carolina. Goff had very legitimate value that pushed the Rams trade over the top. It was reported not long after the trade that other teams had legitimate trade interest in Goff as well and he wasn’t just a “throw in”.

I’ve spoken to multiple teams this morning who made calls TO the Rams in regards to Goff, too. This wasn’t some throw-in. The Lions wanted him. He had a market. Around NFL, Goff is regarded well. 25, multiple playoff wins, beat Brees and Wilson in their buildings in postseason.

5 Likes

He will improve this year with more help, and will either be “the guy,” or he’ll get traded for a nice fetch eventually.

1 Like