Lions re-sign Nate Sudfeld

I could argue about this more

I’ll just say I do not think they intend to draft QB until day 3. If it is Hooker, then it is Hooker because he is still sitting there in the 5th round. Trying to extrapolate a vet minimum signing to a specific draft strategy requires a degree of confidence that I don’t have.

To me this is nothing more than improving the team’s optionality with a zero cost transaction.

1 Like

3rd string or future practice squad??

1 Like

QB3
AKA Scout Team QB

3 Likes

find our own Purdy

1 Like

Build a team so that losing your QB doesn’t mean season over like SF did. I don’t think that was all Purdy, more of the system he walked into

3 Likes

From all I’ve read ( outside of The Den of course,) the offense is all Ben Johnson, the OL, and the running game. Goff is carried by the rest of the offense so any backup should have the same success.

I would trade a 5th for Corral to the FTP.

1 Like

I’m starting to believe that any pick we give them probably will end up being the hero they need to beat us in the playoffs in the future, because that’s the kind of stuff they’re doing to us right now.

I think this is just a precautionary signing in case they’re not able to get a guy they want in the draft.

1 Like

a lot of drama in this thread over a backup QB signing

3 Likes

I see it a little different in my eyes. Chase Daniel signed a pretty sizable backup QB contract.

We likely gave Sudfeld the veteran minimum, which is camp arm money. My guess is we just wanted to get someone under contract as we only had Goff.

1 Like

That’s fine by me. I rather have a tall strong armed qb over a guy like Blaugh or one like Boyle who had no track record in college of the nfl.

I Love Lucy Ok GIF by Paramount+

same FTP

The Lions finally seem ready to make a playoff push, and Sudfeld doesn’t give the most confidence they can do that if they need him to step in for a few games. I get it because some of these FA backups signed for some money, but they can’t be done with the position. They definitely seem lined up to draft someone before the late rounds.

I think it’s likely more than vet min, BH even gave Tim Boyle $2M w/ $1.75M guaranteed.

Solid decision. You are keeping the offensive system and this guy knows it. He’s also a vet, and when you have a franchise QB vet, you give him another vet to help him dissect the defense. From a tools perspective, Studfeld ain’t all bad and he’s cheap. So if we would perhaps draft a QB high and want that roster spot, we could probably drop him down to the PS.

But… this may be a dropping domino. Holmes talked about basically screwing up the backup QB situation last year. With this signing, not say a Bridgewater for a little bit of cash, does it signal us drafting a QB that can at least be “improving the room?” Because it doesn’t seem that Sudfeld would be that improvement. Please guys if we draft Will Levis, don’t act like some of the “fans” did booing him because we didn’t take AAron Curry… :smiley:

4 Likes

Hmm… the reason I don’t like it is because having no backups meant that our #6 pick was going to be more valuable. It looked like we were going to take a QB #6. Now we look less likely to take one so the raiders for instance can sit and wait…

To me the most likely plan was always to take a good upside guy like Hendon Hooker end of 2 or 3rd round. Holmes is moneyball and that is a moneyball move.

Tanner McKee is another that fits the Goff/System mold. Where do we think he will go? 3-4th round?

I posted earlier that he got just over $1 million. I think they learned a lesson with the Blough me Boyle experiment.

1 Like

This is a logical fallacy that reveals itself each year over and over and over.

If we need a QB and another team makes a trade because of it, it’s to 5, not 6.
Does having Sudfeld under contract for $1 million tell anybody anything about our QB situation being suddenly settled? By Sudfeld?

32 out of 32 GM’s in the NFL know the Lions are in the market for a QB. The question is; is it a starting-potential QB or a backup QB that they’re in the market for?

If Sudfeld suddenly settled Detroit, then the Seahawk’s pick was just devalued because nobody needs to jump in front of Detroit for a QB.

3 Likes