Lions Re-Signing Danny Amendola

Agree- but I do feel hi is a play maker. If he gets plus five yards a catch or a 1st down with a catch… Thats production.

And, someone of the defense must account for him… possession catches are almost as important as a TD catch imho as it keeps the chains moving and we don’t give ball

1 Like

ok. what ‘I’ was referring to was how we had Driskel , Blough, AND Stafford throwing to him until Stafford went out early. and the 3 different QB’s throwing to Danny in 2019.

verses 2020, when Stafford will play more than he did in 2019, thus giving the opportunity to increase Amendola’s OA numbers by not having Blough or Driskel throwing to him at all .

2 Likes

^ this

Furthermore, in the 3 games DA went over 100 yards receiving last year, we did not win a single one of them. He had 1 TD all season, which came in game 1 of the year.

In games 2 and 3 (both which were wins) DA only had 4 catches for 37 yards COMBINED in those 2 wins. Bottom line, his production is not a reflection of team success.

But…Amendola is a damn fine insurance policy. Still think we need to invest a pick in a WR.

3 Likes

He is a good 1 year at a time type of guy. 1 less question mark we need to fill in free agency. I just don’t think he should be counted on to do anything more than be a serviceable possession WR and a good teammate.

1 Like

We won 3 F’N games last year for god’s sake. Kenny G 5 biggest games we lost 4. Wth hell does that say?? Don’t throw him the ball? He’s garbage time? It’s a team game. And let’s look at that narrative Danny A disappeared for much of season. He was thes #3 so he isn’t supposed to go out and be the guy. But let’s look at his year.
Quiet game 2…Kenny 8-117 Jones 5-49
Quiet #5…Kenny 5-131 and went out hurt early in game
Missed kc
Then went 9 games with 5+ catches (only player on team with 4+ in 4 straight even)
Denver…Kenny LEAD with 6-66. Danny 2nd w/2
Blough 117yds and sucked
GB Kenny again top and Danny 2nd but he threw for a td.
You say his stats didn’t translate to wins… tell me WHO’S DID???

And yes I think we need to draft a starter type and they pushed Danny to #4 or maybe even 5. You’re getting much more than stats with him. Leadership, tutoring, and likely we suffer donte injuries at this position

I hope it doesn’t.

I think fans should look at the long term outlook of our WR situation and what we’re lacking in our WR’s.

We need more youth, speed and we need a better route runner to add into the mix.

Agreed , as much as I have stated I want a blue chip prospect because we ended up at #3 overall because we sucked …I keep flip flopping at the idea of multiple picks and 2 trade downs that get us several key players this team as whole could really benefit from … Chase would be great at #3 is that better than a WR , DB, RB , DT that could be drafted by us in the top 40 picks ? I’m leaning towards the latter now.

Lot of holes to fill. Young and Gladney vs. Epenesa/Gross Matos/Chaisson, Ruggs, Gallimore, Dobbins and Gladney (2 trade downs).

Based on what metric? I’d like to see more of Hall and the way he’s played when he’s been in the slot has been pretty dynamic. I’m fine with a late mid round pick to put in the mix. But I see our need this year at WR as getting a depth player, not investing in a future #1 or #2. WR is very deep this year and we can get a guy or two late to bring along. I expect Hockenson’s targets to nearly double this year, so I think when you are thinking about WR, you also have to factor in our #8OA pick last year and how much he is going to be involved as a receiver.

Slot receivers that avg under 2.6 catches per game , and less than 25yds per game and 0 TD’s over an 11 game span are a dime a dozen …Danny Amendola of 2019. That to me anyway says he has lost a step and the production from the slot guy and like you have mentioned, perhaps a position that will not see as many targets with a healthy TE in Hockenson should be explosive and have a better catch % when targeted …Danny only had 63% completion percentage last season and his explosive plays non existent.

By the stats I’m seeing for Amendola last year, he had 62 receptions for 678 yards. He played in 15 games. 62 divided by 15 games is 4.1 catches per game, not 2.6. 678 yards divided by 15 is 45.2 yards per game, not 25. He is not explosive, but he IS reliable. So much so that he had 36 first downs on 62 receptions. Over half of his catches (and 62 is a lot for a #3 receiver) went for first downs. So what if we were more inclined to throw it to jump out of the gym Golladay in the endzone as opposed to the midget. In 5 seasons with Brady, he only had 11 TD’s so wasn’t the main choice when you have Gronk either. It doesn’t take away from the fact that Amendola was plenty productive for us.

It doesn’t get much more explosive than 37.3 yards per reception on 7 catches. That’s Marvin Hall. Get a rookie to bring along and spend top resources elsewhere.

EDIT: Ah, I see what you did there by pulling out an 11 game stretch. Meh… do we do that with every player, or do we go by the yearly stats? It’s like saying if you pull out the 4 80 yard runs that back had, he only averaged 4.1 yards per carry so…

2 Likes

No interest in being a competitive organization
So much never ending garbage from you
You’re like a human garbage dump

1 Like

There’s a reason Hall has been cut by 4 separate teams. He’s got speed and that’s about it.

1 Like

The Lions offense is not the problem, nor is Amendola no matter how old the guy is. His work ethic is 2nd to none and he’ll do fine in 2020. Sure, a more dynamic slot guy would be nice, but this team has bigger problems than that. Notably on defense, especially now that we know that Harrison is gone and maybe Slay is too.

3 Likes

Hall has been cut by 4 teams, and he has more yards in 9 games with us than those 24 games he played with the Falcons. His career average is over 24 ypc. It costs us nothing to keep him, there is no reason to not have him on the team and possibly the PS, I believe he is still eligible. Sometimes the light turns on.

2 Likes

I agree and no where did I say otherwise.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with having a depth guy with great speed that can stretch a defense. But he should be the bottom of your WR rotation if that’s all he brings to the table.

I believe MP said something to the effect that if your a one trick pony than it better be a hell of a trick.

No, you just said that he had been cut by 4 teams and there’s a reason for it. The fact is that he never played any NFL downs for 3 of those teams. Where did I say he should be at the top of our rotation? See how that works? Making a statement that he has been cut by 4 teams and there was a reason for it and then saying that there’s nothing wrong with having a depth guy in a separate comment is something of a 180 don’t you think?