Lions Re-Signing Danny Amendola

I’ve broken down Danny in 2019 already …his production is replaceable and Iggy is not far off from what Amendola’s value is …Danny disappeared in 11 games last year alot of them with Stafford playing , he had a couple good games against the worst pass defenses in the NFL …Jacksonville Jaguars War Room - The Den

Oh I agree that he’s not a topper anymore but his value will also come from helping the rest of theWRs imho…

Quality Leadership is never out of style!!

1 Like

Since we’re drafting so high, we can give him 'til the 4th, but I’m right there with you. I want a DB in 1 or 2 and a receiver in 3 or 4.

1 Like

Hall was already under contract for 2020. He signed a two year deal.

1 Like

Good signing which proves again that the idiot narratives don’t hold. Obviously Amendola is smart enough to realize that Stafford is the best situation he is going to find in the NFL!

1 Like

I suspect there will be decent WR’s still available come round 4. Maybe someone like KJ Hill. There’s way too much talent in this draft not to have some fall to round 4. But I think I’m leaning towards rounds 2-3 because I think 1st round WR talent will still be there. My feelings are we should trade down and with one of the extra picks that we acquire we should be able to grab a WR steal.

Regardless … the opportunity to get a quality WR will be there for Bob Q.

1 Like

I could be wrong but I don’t think he did. We signed him to the PS and then moved him to the active roster. Which would be a one year deal but we would hold his rights.

I’ve read that he signed a two year deal.
I’ve also read that he is a RFA.

I actually think the latter is the accurate one (unless he signed a contract at the end of the season that we don’t know about). But it wouldn’t make sense for the Lions to do that when he would be a cheap RFA this year. I think Sportrac and OTC are just expecting him to sign the tender. I could be wrong but I think that’s accurate. Not that it matters … the main point is that he’s not an FA until next season.

Iggy doesn’t give any real info. He’s all opinion. Any WR with 62 catches will get more than 3M.

1 Like

I’m good with it. I assume we overpaid him a bit, but that’s not a huge deal because his overall salary isn’t that large. If we overpay him by 500,000 more than the rest of the league, who cares? It’s not like when we paid the 12th best QB 8 million more than the best QBs in the league. Moves like that are what really hurts your flexibility.

It’s one hole we don’t have to immediately address, which is good, since Bob Quinn has created 3 more gaping holes in the team that we didn’t have going into last season.

1 Like

Amendola could also be a bridge to the next guy they draft. He’s already shown leadership with young guys like Galloday with his work ethic. If we draft a slot guy or a combo outside/slot guy he’d be valuable from that standpoint, plus he can still play. Usually WRs take a year to develop.

2 Likes

I also expect him not to have similar results, I expect him to do better with either a healthy Stafford or some backups who have some familiarity with him. It’s unreasonable to think that a guy who did that well with 3 different QB’s, 2 of which have questionable NFL credentials, should fall off a cliff because he’s 35.

Hall is under contract for 2020. That’s 4 WR’s under contract, if they don’t try and re-sign Kearse. If we get a trade down take a WR Day 2, if not Day 3. Plenty of talent this year and we have bigger fish to fry.

I have a different view. I don’t expect or necessarily want DA to have much bigger numbers. He is not a TD guy. He is a check valve/possession type WR. While he serves a legit and important role, every time the ball goes to him, it is not going to the real play makers like KJ, Hock, Kenny G or Marvin. The more touches Danny gets, takes away from they guys who actually score points and stretch the field for the offense.

Snacks just did and he is 4 years younger and had less of a injury history than Danny.

Also let’s be honest here Danny was making contested catches that often he was schemed open nicely.

Danny’s numbers with Stafford last year were nearly identical to the 8 games without. Same exact number of catches, I believe but slightly less efficient. Probably due to the fact that he was a bigger check valve for the back up QBs and the opposing defenses played to allow the underneath stuff a bit more, since the back ups pose no threat to really air it out.

Either way, 50 or so receptions is fine if we can get that out of him.

1 Like

C’mon man if you want to make a point about aging WR’s there are plenty of examples, using Snacks does nothing to make your point. I get Big 10’s point on taking away “possible” better scenarios but getting first downs gets you more chances to do that does it not? You also had a rookie TE and injuries to guys like Hall who smoked on the few catches he had. What we just got was a PROVEN asset that buys us a year to get his replacement, a year that we need because of the holes on D and general lack of depth.

1 Like

I’m not saying the signing is a bad one, I’m simply saying expecting him or any 35 year old NFL player to maintain their level of production is risky. Especially a skill player.

2 Likes

if anything his number ‘should’ improve, with Stafford being on the field more this season.

2 Likes

Has the details of the deal been revealed? There might be very little signing bonus, so I’m not sure its going to stop us from drafting a player.

His numbers were the same with and without Stafford.

2 Likes