Lions send reps to Fields's 2nd pro day

You know I had to make a thread on this. It’s unclear who is there, but Lions reps have been confirmed to be in Columbus today. I’ll add when I see more.

3 Likes

2nd pro day!? Is that becoming a trend?

Most likely to compensate for COVID restrictions

His second pro day was done specifically for the 49ers who Lynch and Shanahan missed because they were at Mac Jones pro day.

I do think there’s a chance that SF could decide to take him over Mac.

John Beck is a QB coach and he’s working with Fields and Lance. Beck has ties to Shanahan from their days together at Washington. Supposedly Beck and Shanny are close. So the 49ers will have an inside track on Fields and Lance.

Also Fields is doing a scripted workout but this time he’s allowed teams like 49ers and NE to put in requests ahead of time on what they want to see him do. I think this is important.

In other words, the 2nd pro day is basically a tryout to see if he’s going to be picked 3rd overall or not. Interesting.

I hope Fields looks fantastic. The more QB’s that go in the top 6, the better!

1 Like

Yep

I just don’t see any way the top 4 QB’s don’t go one way or another before us at 7. The only guy I see being there is Jones. IF SF surprises and goes Jones then someone will be scrambling to get higher than 7 for Fields or Lance and 5 will go before us. That is the ultimate scenario whether (for me) Sewell falls, or who is there will be a guy someone wants to give up a day 2 pick for.

1 Like

Lions doing their due diligence on an important player. Gathering information so you may be better informed if the opportunity of acquiring this player becomes available in the future.

Imagine in the near future, let’s say March of 2023, the Lions are in the market for a franchise QB. Justin Fields could be a target in a trade like so many other young QB’s recently (Rosen, Trubinsky, Wentz, Darnold, Tannehill).

The reps attending Fields Pro day may not be about the Draft in 2 weeks, but more about turning all the pages on an player that may cross your path in the future; and if that day comes, you’ll have more information to help in your decision making process.

2 Likes

I want that Extra 2nd Rounder !!!..It drives my process whether drafting Sewell/Slater/Parsons trumps any of the Big 3 WR’s, assuming most are available at #7- #13…IMO, acquiring a mid 2021 2nd Rounder gives the Lions flexibility and more risk taking affordability, that a very good OT will still be available at #41, coupled with the likelihood a top-rated S (Holland), will be there mid 2nd Round…Fallback position would be acquiring a good LB/CB mid 2nd round…

Though protecting Goff is Job #1 in my book, and facilitating the Run game, as well…I’d rather forgo the OT acquisition in 2021, until 2022. It’s not a Critical Hole in 2021, Lions already possess average/good ROT players on the team. I see drafting a OT as a Luxury Pick this year, and I don’t want any OT’s lower than the 2nd Round, personally. Lions have greater needs at LB & S, in the 2nd & subsequent rounds IMO…Drafting a 5’8-9" WR for the slot in the 2nd Round makes me ill, too. Rather wait until 3rd Day for that pick. - GOALPOST

I hope he looks like hell. The 49ers are the only team interested in Mac Jones that high. If Lance and Fields stick around, more chances we can trade down.

1 Like

To be fair, I don’t think we have any idea who is or isn’t interested in these top QB’s. So many smokescreens out there.

1 Like

so very true. watch fields go first. who really knows?

1 Like

I think the Lions might even trade up to get Fields. they may never get this chance again and thinking Goff is the answer is, as I’ll continue to say, wishful thinking… He’s a game manager type. You don’t pass on a franchise guy to pay a game manager $30 mill a season… If Goff is our QB because the cost was too high, or we were lukewarm about who we could get, fine. That is why we included him in the trade. We didn’t include him in the trade to pass on a franchise QB and I don’t suspect we will.

Lions are not trading up to take Fields

8 Likes

Stop! The Lions are in no position to be moving up and I would shocked and disappointed if they did for Fields!

4 Likes

The Lions are in a position where they don’t have to reach for a QB. But they are not in a position where they can pass on getting a franchise QB.

That is why you see Lions staff at Fields pro day.

I LOVE how the Lions are handling this. It isn’t that the Lions themselves need teams to think they want a Q. If teams BEHIND us think we might sit back and let a QB fall to us teams behind us are likely to trade up to get their QB thus helping a guy to fall to the Lions who may have been drafted if it were not for the likely run on QBs.

Sewell, Parsons or a WR (Chase/Smith) for my $. Get one of those guys.

1 Like

An you know it was just to see Fields? How?

Maybe it was to check on another player. Lions will not move up for Fields an i doubt they take a QB either.
Goff has been QB in Super Bowl Fields has not taken a snap an you have crowned as the great future QB do you know how many of those just in past 10 years have been drafted?

The lions were there an they also had eyes on another player.
Shaun Wade a CB who had a great day an improved his worth after a so so season an poor play.
40 - 4.43
Vert - 37.5
Broad - 10’ 3”
he is 6’ 6" 196 pounds

1 Like

Well, the only other guy that even worked out was Shaun Wade.

And well…

You know…

morning toast GIF by Soft & Gentle

if you had read my whole post you wouldn’t have burnt the toast :grinning:

1 Like