Lions send reps to Fields's 2nd pro day

Good question and goes back to a point earlier regarding this office and staff that came from LA.
Those individuals have far more knowledge of how legitimate of a question, or not, that is with regards to McVey and Goff’s relationship. They also have a better knowledge of the injury impact of Gurley and Cook had on the offense taking a step back.

I think the fact they wanted Goff is a big part of Ted’s point of why get rid of Goff if he is that good.

I don’t think a bad Goff will hurt this team opportunity to get a potential high reward QB in a future draft. Both Stafford and Goff, as with most QB’s not named Brady, need a good team around them in order to succeed.

We were near the bottom in all 3 of those categories last year. Our team has less talent on it than it did a year ago. Do you really believe we will fix the areas we couldn’t for Stafford and suddenly make Goff a better QB than he is.

You either believe he sucks or he doesn’t.

If we’re winning than I think Goff is a large part of that equation.

I’d like to try and fix those areas of weakness long before we plug a rookie into the mix.

The rumor was McVay was sick of having to micromanage the passing game so Goff could thrive. He’s a good coach, but when he ran across other good coaches Goff struggled. It comes down to the team with the best talent.

But I have also heard that McVay didn’t play Goff to his strengths which actually is shotgun and throw it around. Which I found interesting from one of his college coaches.

Makes me wonder what kind of offense we are planning. So far we have a strong running back corps of pass catching RBs, a really good TE and some average receivers and above average Oline

If we are going to play a lot of shotgun, I expect we will see a lot of pistol mixed in too with plenty of screens and short passes in lieu of a run.

kind of like the Stafford offense under Linehan and Cooter

Goff was more a shot gun vertical thrower in college.

The Rams forced him under center and asked him to do more play action, dink and dunk passes, and to let the WR’s make plays after the catch.

We go out and sign 3 fast WR’s in Perriman, Williams and Raymond.

I think it’s obvious that we intend to be more vertical than the Rams were.

I think we clearly need to add a go to option but I do like the idea of having guys that can stretch the defense being paired with Swift, Hock and Williams who are all very dangerous in the short passing game. I still have high hopes for Bryant as well. Though the chances of all of TW, BP and HB all being healthy for much of the year is likely slim to none.

I hope you’re right.

1 Like

You’re probably right. the vertical threat of speedy receivers also clears out the underneath for the more reliable pass catchers as well

Our OL is not a finished product.
We’re banking on Vaitai being a starting OG. That ~might~ work.
We have nothing but backups slated for potential RT starting duty.

The OL needs 1 starter, possibly 2. If it doesn’t need the 2nd starter, it at the very least needs a backup capable of starting.

Seems like we could make it a strength this year, but it’s not there yet.

1 Like

Did everyone watch Yote’s link…my fav part was the new coaches saying our D was Slow, Confused and Timid.

1 Like

This is correct. I went back and watched Goff in college and its a pretty significant difference. Goff threw lots of deep balls and lots of the Golladay 50/50 balls as well. McVay didn’t have him doing those things. Watching Goff in college vs the NFL is kind of a reminder that McVay didn’t draft Goff. What I wonder is if McVay is going to change his offense for Stafford…or whether he’s going to force Stafford into his offense.

3 Likes

I agree… I almost would like to see us fix as many holes in the offense this year as they can so that we can get a good evaluation on Goff.

Target defense later in the draft and next year.

I wouldn’t be disappointed if we drafted OL, and WR with our first two picks.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah, I think SF is going to take Fields. I think they were gaming hard with Jones so that the Jets don’t start sniffing around Fields and take him instead of Wilson.

That’s part of what makes Waddle so intriguing. TW and BP both run 9s and then Waddle gets the ball underneath with space. Uh-oh!

I actually thought Crosby played pretty well at RT and could make a serviceable starter. But it would be good to have an upgrade or more depth. I bet we take OL early

1 Like

I forgot how fast Perriman is. Perriman is probably as fast as Waddle. (Not as elusive obviously.)

I think BP is probably faster. Or was coming out of the draft at least. Waddle is supposed to be a 4.35 guy though so he’s definitely still a blazer.

I agree, I didn’t want to draft a tackle at all, but it probably wouldn’t hurt to draft a right tackle in the 4th or 5th round. I think drafting one before that would be overkill and a waste of resources when they have much more pressing needs.

I don’t know, he ran right with Ruggs, I’d bet he’s a high 4.2, say 4.27-4.29.