Lions sign WR Devin Funchess . . . $11.6M under

Probably vet min contract, no change to cap . . . still $11.6M under (including the anticipated signing of John Paschal.

5 Likes

Think it’s interesting we’re moving him to TE.

4 Likes

Was just gonna say the same. He didn’t play at all last year, was signed a couple times but then released.

1 Like

He was a tight end in college initially and they turned him in a supersized wr but it hasn’t ever worked out. He might be better at TE……he might get cut…….we will see.

3 Likes

Go Hawks!

STP

welcome back home Devin

4 Likes

We signed him to get information about the Packers.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting move. Still only 28 years old, had been a productive large WR for a few seasons.

I like this move, very little risk and a potential pass catching TE. If he sucks at TE, cut him.

Dude put up some decent numbers as a WR. I can see him being used in the Red Zone for sure if he makes the team, which is probably 50/50.

스크린샷 2022-06-14 5.07.58 PM

3 Likes

I’d put my money on being cut. He was never interested in playing tight end. He isn’t physical and hates to block.

7 Likes

Why?
“Feb 9, 2019 — According to Rotoworld, Funchess had the highest drop rate in the league last year at 13.9 percent.”
How many times are we going to screw around with the TE position?
" The former Michigan wide receiver struggled with drops and posted the NFL’s lowest catch rate on targets — 41.1%, according ESPN’s Bill Barnwell — as Carolina’s offense unexpectedly sputtered and the team finished 6-10 after a Super Bowl appearance in 2016."

3 Likes

for a brief moment… I thought you were alluding to Kyle Pitts… :thinking::wink::sunglasses:

4 Likes

https://gfycat.com/inferiormistyclingfish

But, if he’s broke now, it’s funny how money will motivate a man to start blocking and being willing to change positions! Not saying it’s going to work out, who knows, but he’s been away from the NFL now for a couple years. B. Holmes and MC/DC seem to be a good judge of character, so I’m willing to give Funchess a shot. The TE group behind Hock, includes a dude coming off of ACL surgery and a bunch of practice squad players, it’s one of the weakest positions on the team IMO.

3 Likes

My first reaction is “Ew”. Maybe have him in camp only for a mid-season call up if we have a rash of injuries? Hope he has less guarantees than Jarrad Davis. OK, I’ll add an emoji… :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

Dont blame goff when he drops the ball.

5 Likes

I agree it is worth taking the shot.

Here are the highlights from his last “game” action… a preseason game with Packers last August.

1 Like

Dan has been clear in the past that a team can only have one “bread winner” at TE. We have one, obviously. He said if you are not the bread winner you HAVE to play special teams. No exceptions. So if Funchess is really moving to TE, it also means he’s going to be playing special teams for the first time in his career (outside of a handful of snaps).

3 Likes

If nothing else, maybe he can teach us the secrets of the Packers offense and destroying Jordan Love!!!

1 Like

That always reminds me of ricky Williams. He didn’t love the game anymore and wanted to go smoke weed on a beach in India. Until the Dolphins wanted his signing bonus back. Then suddenly he remembered how much he loved playing! Lol

3 Likes

I just don’t see it. Player are either physical or they’re not. You can certainly put in more effort but it won’t change your nature if you don’t enjoy contact. Especially as you get older.

2 Likes

Exactly!! Heck he even played a season in the CFL! Money is a serious motivator.

1 Like