Lions to meet with Quentin Johnson WR TCU

I just saw an interview with him on gmfb that was pretty good. He talked about his background coming from a military family. He believes in hard work and respect. Not a diva. Wants to be a leader/mentor. So that helps his case.

4 Likes

Disappointing 40 time for sure, with his size, vertical, & broad I figured much more likely he would be a 4.3-4.4 guy than a 4.5 guy. Must start slow out of the blocks, wonder what his 1st 10 looked like

I still like him, he plays physical, breaks a ton of tackles, RAC for a big guy is there. Overall though, this would move him down my board if I actually had one

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know much at all about the person, so that is re-assuring. I would say, Johnston gives us what we currently don’t have at WR, a true X. If you wanted to build the perfect WR trio with skillsets that compliment each other, Johnston is the guy.

I just don’t feel very good about him becoming a stud WR.

3 Likes

Jsn isnt a perfect fit… but goff loves his wrs who are WIDE OPEN. i think he will be a star or i wouldnt consider him.

2 Likes

That is why he didnt run at the combine. Didnt want to show that he is really a 4.6 guy if timed electronically. (I saw this coming). Amon-Ra has done great and if i remember correctly he ran a 4.64.

His hands and route running were always my problems with him. I hate that his team listed him at 6’4" when he is 6’ 2.60". Why do colleges keep lying about height. The truth will come out so how does it help anyone??? I think they should make every college player do an official proper weight and height measurement before each season. This will help us see the trend in a players body development without guessing who is lying.

So definitely above average size but not elite height. Below average speed. Add that to the hands and route running issues. Last year he is WR 8? I take him ahead of Wandale and Skyy but after Christian Watson. Watson went pic 34

1 Like

The lie starts in recruiting on signing day. What looks better when a class is announced, a WR that signs & is announced as 6’4”, or a WR that signs & is announced as 6’2” 5/8”

95% of fans will buy in, maybe 5% will question the ht/Wt

More “hype” about 6’4” guys, means more marketing for the University, program, coaches, recruiting staff etc

1 Like

I’ve been saying for months now how overrated I think this WR class is in comparison to the past 3 years, and Johnston is a major part of that. Currently I have him ranked as my 6th receiver in the class and 79th overall. I have JSN 1st and 5th overall, then for my #2 WR, Zay Flowers, it drops down all the way to #37. My #3 is Jayden Reed and he’s all the way down at 60.

So yeah, it’s safe to say I’m not in on this class. It’s one of the reasons why unless we get JSN I really don’t want to take one in the mid-rounds. It levels out a bit from the 4th round on and there are some day 3 guys I really like, but I’m more or less out on this class.

I am personally hoping we come away with AT Perry or Cedric Tillman in the 3rd if we don’t get JSN in the 1st.

What did Andre Iosivas run at his pro day?

Reed in the 3rd is the only real value I see on day 2 but I’d be OK with either one of Perry or Tillman in that spot. I have them ranked as mid-late 3rds, so at least it starts to line up with the value. But I have a sneaking suspicion Tillman is going much higher (and honestly I may be a little low on him, he is one of my favorite guys past JSN, it’s just he’s got enough gray area questions that I don’t feel comfortable pushing him too high without access to all the information the teams will have, medical testing and interviews and the like). And Perry probably will too given the way he tested.

For me the bargains start on day 3. I have Jared Wayne ranked in the same range (directly between Tillman and Perry, in fact), but he can be had much later. Maybe deep into day 3. I have Jason Brownlee with an early 4th round grade and Braydon Johnson with a mid-4th and they’ll both go much later than that. Dallas Daniels, Justin Marshall, CJ Johnson, Thayer Thomas, I have them all ranked higher than their ADP. Some are a bit superfluous with what we already have, but they’re all good players IMO.

2 Likes

I think he stood on his combine numbers, 4.43

I personally don’t think super tall WRs are ideal.

There are exceptions of course… but guys like Calvin, Mike Evans, etc. are really rare.

Even Moss and AJ Green are 1/2 inch shy of 6’4” tall.

IMO…. 6’1” to 6’3” tall is ideal for a “X” WR.

That is tall enough… but also not too tall to be a detriment to agility.

2 Likes

I could really see him in play at 18 if Ben Johnson has a plan for him. I like his run after the catch ability. We need another playmaker on offense. If he blocks I’m willing to accept the faults. I do like the idea of lining he and Jamo up outside, Saint in the slot, Swift and Mitchell underneath. I still prefer Palmer or Mims later but I could see the interest here.

I think that Quentin is an easy guy to root for, I just like him. As a plus having a Quintin on the team might motivate Quintez.

2 Likes

QJ would complete the wide receiver room for at least 2+ years.

i know this is 10 days but still

just yikes from yesterday from QJ hes gonna drop maybe

1 Like

That 3 cone is uhh

concerning to say the least

1 Like

So are his hands and route running. Ive said for a while that i only had 1 wr with a 1st rd grade (JSN) and now the reports are the league agrees with me. JSN doesn’t have the 4.3 speed that people want. But his reCOCKulous 3 cone and short shuttle tell me he will be 100+ catch reciever every single year that he plays assuming health.

2 Likes

The agility scores aren’t much to be concerned about. Big x receivers rarely have good agility. What does concern me is that he’s pretty soft for a big x type. He’s not overly physical, and his hands are going to look like ebrons in the NFL. He is a complete body catcher… he doesn’t attack the football. When he does he tends to bobble it. He doesn’t use his length well… and if size is your thing… that’s there’s not a great path to NFL success. I feel like he is going to be a laquon Treadwell type. A guy who had many of the same issues, got drafted high, and the first time you see him look like a jag in practice… you think, well we just drafted a backup x receiver in the first couple rounds…

2 Likes

He is literally the one player I’d be pissed about the Lions drafting… Nothing about his game translates to the NFL besides size and he doesn’t even know how to use his best attribute. I wouldn’t draft him before the 4th round

1 Like