Lions trade for DB Duron Harmon (Patriots)

I don’t see a 3 win team. I see a team that lost their franchise QB and had very little talent at QB behind him. Something BQ just rectified this offseason as well. We were still competitive in almost every game. Do I think we could have ended up on the right side of the Win column in a lot of those games if we had Stafford for 16 games? Yes, I do. How much better, we’ll never know but I’m #withMartha. One year, produce or buh bye.

3 Likes

Guys I was told Will Harris is the future.

For a 3rd rounder, 3rd rounder, gained 5th rounder and swap of late round picks? Well… obviously there will be some here that will hate this and say it’s proof of Quinn’s horribleness as a GM. But I think if we add a #2 CB and continue to develop AO, we’re going to have a pretty legit secondary. I’m assuming Slay stays and doesn’t get renegotiated. I’d like a TD / TU situation where we trade with the Dolphins. Say we get 5 and 26. That could be Okudah/Gross-Matos or Brown/Henderson or Brown/Diggs. If we can put Okudah, Henderson or Diggs across from Slay with Walker, Harmon and Coleman with AO and Harris off the bench, I’m pretty happy with that.

3 Likes

The IMMEDIATE future, was Tavon Wilson who was playing better than Diggs who wasn’t going to be playing for a game or two and was popping off at the mouth (allegedly), and getting more time for Harris to develop because he looked promising enough to move Diggs given the whole picture. Harris did get more time. Some good, some not so good, but he is better right now, than he would have been had Diggs stayed. We gained a 5th, we would not have been a playoff team with Diggs and no Stafford, period. We swapped late rounders to bring in a guy who is debatebly the best Safety on our team even when Diggs was here. Is a 5th round pick plus Walker, Harmon, Harris with two of those guys on 3rd round contracts > Diggs making 7M plus, Walker and Wilson at a higher salary to keep him? Not sure, but I’ll bet it’s close production wise and it’s certainly less expensive which allows us to do other things. In a vacuum, Diggs for a 5th wasn’t good. He was well liked. But we don’t know what was said and our end result to me isn’t that bad. I think Harmon and Walker will be better than Walker and Diggs. We’ll see man.

2 Likes

I like Harmon.

But Will Harris was never the answer to replace Diggs short term or long term and that’s it.

Also you didn’t say it but a lot of the Quinn believers have pointed to him as evidence Quinn can draft for some reason. I’ve been screaming from the mountaintops there is no way they can watch what he did last year and feel comfortable with him being a starter.

He’s safety Jared Davis without the flashes. Amani had some rough spots but that kid can play and he had flashes. Harris played more and showed less.

I’d argue Harmon is the Diggs replacement and Harris might fill the roll Tavon did but I don’t think that 3 safety look will be on the field as much with them getting Collins.

Yeah…it’s like Quinn has no idea that there’s 30 other teams with players you can scout and trade for.
Like no other team has any good players to be had.

It’s rare that I agree with Iggy…but at this point, it is getting embarassing.

2 Likes

I like the move. Has experience, plays a role, cost effective, negligible loss in draft swap

And remember his name is pronounced:

Dur-AWN Harm-AWM

…really landing hard on the second syllable.

Try it…just once.

Together:

Dur-AWN
Harm-AWM

He’s French.

1 Like

Duron Duron.

2 Likes

Duron Harmon (born January 24, 1991) is an American football safety for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). Harmon was nicknamed “The Closer” by fans and media for his ability to come up with late, game-sealing interceptions.[1][2][3] He was drafted by the Patriots in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at Rutgers.

I would have never thought the Den would be the place where I saw a Duron Duron reference!

I’ll never forget some of their hits, “So hungry I ate a Wolf”, “Ordinary Hood World”, or my jam “Girls on film from the block”

Thanks for the trip down memory lane redwing!

1 Like

Ha, well you’re welcome but it was a Duran Duran reference :sweat_smile:

Hungry like a wolf.

Y E S!!!

Exactly what I see!

1 Like

You’re on fire, today. loving your thinking, dude!

The Detroit Lions have been busy acquiring New England Patriots players Wednesday.

A short while after reportedly agreeing to a two-year, $8 million contract with Patriots free agent defensive lineman Danny Shelton, the Lions also have acquired veteran safety Duron Harmon via trade.

NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport reported the details of the Patriots-Lions trade.

This is a flip of late-round picks. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1240308731621060615

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 18, 2020

The late-round draft pick the Patriots are getting from the Lions isn’t the notable part of the trade from New England’s perspective. The real benefit to this move is it frees up about $3.89 million in salary cap space, per @patscap on Twitter. This cap space can be used to acquire a free agent on the open market, or to re-sign one of the Patriots’ own free agents. The team hopes to re-sign star left guard Joe Thuney, was franchised tagged Monday, to a long-term contract. This additional cap space makes that goal with Thuney a little easier to accomplish.

Harmon was a valuable safety in New England for the last seven seasons. He played in 111 of 112 regular season games over that span, while tallying 175 total tackles, three fumble recoveries, 17 interceptions and 28 passes defensed. The 29-year-old safety has one more year left on his contract with a $5.5 million cap hit, per Spotrac.

He will bring plenty of talent, depth, playoff experience and leadership to the Lions’ defense. Harmon also will reunite with former Patriots defensive coordinator and current Lions head coach Matt Patricia.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-rumors-heres-patriots-return-163136350.html

3 Likes

I understand you like Diggs but when your bashing Harris I would check his game stats , He started 6 games an he had more solo tackles than guy we just got. Now I like the trade but I also like Harris an I think he did well for a rookie. So how about giving players a fair shake as a fan . Look at his stats now stats are not everything but his were good. He had to learn a never system an was rookie I like to give rookies a break . I do know he hits an is fast an can cover. I saw him miss some coverage’s but they again I saw Diggs miss coverage’s an tackles. I liked Diggs but I also like all are Safeties an I think we may add one more in draft

You know the people that have gone overboard with three wins in the lions suck, they are just being ridiculous. You can say what you want. We had several wins taken away from us at the beginning of the year and we lost our quarterback. Granted,they didn’t have a viable quarterback backing up Stafford, but the Lions would have won more than three games with Stafford at quarterback and every single poster here knows that. So, acting like they’re the worst team ever is just ridiculous.
Do we have problems? Yes, we do. But if our offense was playing with Stafford, our defense would have been better. Everyone here knows these things as fact. Every move we have made has made this team somewhat better. That will change when we trade Slay. The player we bring in may not be his equal. But the player we get at three might just be better than the one we get at twenty whatever if we had made the playoffs. So, we will be a better team despite the “sky has fallen” attitude prevalent here.

2 Likes

I think so too. I’m expecting him to start. The acquisition of Harmon says Harris wasn’t ready.

So what does this say about our coach and Diggs.
We know Diggs was vocal and we know that Diggs can play. Diggs believes he was sent packing to quiet voices in the locker room. Diggs was also a leader and his trade didn’t go over well with fans and player alike.

We know that Will Harris wasn’t ready to start and that he was a downgrade too. Wilson ended up playing a lot of snaps starting, some due to Harris injury but some due to his play as well.

I still believe the Diggs trade looks bad on the HC. It tells me he couldn’t get the team leaders to buy into what he was doing. The trade created dissension in the ranks. That’s gonna be hard to earn back.

Had we kept Diggs and traded him after acquiring Harmon then I think fans and players would have been more on board and more understanding.

Just a poorly played situation if you ask me.

According to Diggs, he asked to go.

I think the only problem with seeming to target ex-Patriot players is that Quinn could be ignoring better talent in exchange for scheme knowledge. The question is, how much weight is Quinn putting on this scheme fit over going after the better talent.

In the long run, always targeting scheme fit over talent will give you a less talented team compared to other teams, so you better make sure you’re prepared to win games on your scheme alone.

Right now, I don’t think too many of us are impressed with Patricia’s defensive scheme. And if we lose Slay, that’s just more talent walking out the door.