Lions visit with JK Dobbins

And pure garbage on defense. Garbage at QB, garbage at HC, garbage owners, garbage GM, WTF do you remain a fan? Most think we have a garbage OL and it would be a waste to put a good running back behind it.
Really, everybody around here wouldn’t be satisfied with all pros everywhere because they wouldn’t be all pro enough.

That is not to say we are satisfied, we just know bitching won’t help.

Perine has some skinny legs. JK has some thick trunks.

If you don’t improve your interior offensive line (and we haven’t) going from KJ to JK would be negligible in my opinion.

Taylor might be able to grind you out a few more first downs or punch a couple in, which would make a difference.

And so why would Taylor be better than JK at “grinding out” a few more first downs?

Starting to settle on Clyde Edwards-Helaire as the best fit for the Lions.

He’s not the fastest back (ran 4.6) but he can run inside, is elusive and is great in the receiving game. Basically Theo Riddick who can actually run inside. With KJ and Bo, I think that’s a fine group.

1 Like

Serviceable ? Lols Dude your starting RB longest run of his season is 20 yrds. 1 time his next longest run 14 yrds. That’s not serviceable in my opinion.

Agree! Until our interior line is solidified, it won’t matter who the running back is. I’m not sure BQ understands this logic quite frankly. Thus the reason, I would never waste a pick on running back in the 2nd rd.

1 Like

Well, Vaitai’s strength is reportedly run blocking more than pass blocking, so he did address that aspect at RT (unless Vaitai is the RG and the Lions surprise us with drafting an OT early).

More yards after contact. He played on a Wisconsin team that is run first, then run second, then run again, then if all else fails, run into the teeth of the defense.

Dobbins played on a team with an elite QB and a slew of really good WRs. Olave, Hill, Victor, etc. A way more balanced team than Wisconsin, that would keep opponents guessing. Playing Wisconsin you had to do 1 thing. Keep Taylor contained. He still rushed for over 2000 yards against a lot of stacked boxes. That is impressive.

BQ thinks he’s cute by being the only guy trying to build from the outside in, while ignoring the trenches.

Liking Cam Akers more and more, one of the top RB’s in NCAA last year for yards after contact.

3 Likes

And may come at the lower price of No 67.

Gezz Johnson had 113 carries and his longest run is 20 yrds and did it only once. That’s 0 big plays from your running game.

The thing about running back is we have two good, or should I say decent, runners who have glass for body parts.

Where does that leave us?

We definitely need another guy.

No doubt about it.

1 Like

No doubt that he’s impressive…but I don’t think he’s a “grinder” per se, if you know what I mean. He’s more of a big run threat.
Don’t get me wrong, Wisconsin RB’s get a lot of carries…but he’s had fumbling issues and not many Wisconsin RB’s do much in the NFL aside from Melvin Gordon. Not that I like to hold what prior players have done against a current player…but it does make you stop and think.

Fumbles Dobbins 5 in 725 carries rate .0069
Taylor 18 in 926 carries rate .0194 almost 3 times the rate

When Taylor went up against the conference’s best front sevens, Michigan State and Ohio State, he came nowhere close to the numbers he would put up when he faced the cupcakes on his schedule like South Florida and Central Michigan.

@ Ohio State (10/26): 20 ATT, 52 YDS, 2.6 AVG, Longest Run: 14 yards
@ Michigan State (10/12): 26 ATT, 80 YDS, 3.1 AVG, Longest Run:13 yards

When Wisconsin’s powerful and talented offensive line was neutralized by great run-stopping defenses like Ohio State and Michigan State this year, Taylor struggled to make guys miss and create big runs.

On top of that, Wisconsin’s scheme didn’t call for Taylor to pass block or run a lot of routes. He nevertheless struggled in those aspects all throughout his college career. He caught just 16 passes total in his first two seasons. His draft profile is littered with red flags. He had 18 fumbles in 41 games which is a trait that always carries over to the next level for most college running backs.

here is the full article https://nflmocks.com/2020/01/14/2020-nfl-draft-jonathan-taylor-overrated/

1 Like

Easiest to see Dobbins as a possibility if we’re able to get some extra picks. I’d be hard pressed not to look CB/edge/DT in the second, omitting whichever of those positions we picked in the first. But - I wouldn’t complain too much if we saw Okudah/Dobbins. On the O, I’d rather see us take a RB before a WR - and potentially an IOL before either. It’s reasonable to argue for investment in WR. I see an RB (like Dobbins) as presenting more of an immediate impact on this team, a WR chosen at the same spot likely remains buried behind our starting 3.

Wisconsin ran the ball 63.5% of the time on Offense, Ohio State ran the ball 62.2% of the time on Offense

Dobbins ran 55.5% of his runs on 1st down, Taylor was 58.1% .

Dobbins rushing the ball was 30.1% of the total of plays ran, Taylor was 33.1%

J.K Dobbins: 2033 rushing yards on 301 rushing attempts
73 missed tackles forced ,forced missed tackle 24.7% of carries
1,208 yards after contact, avg 3.6 yards after contact
51 carries of 10+yards
31 carries of 15+ yards
20 carries of 20+ yards
3rd & short (1-3) yards Dobbins had 25 attempts , 203 yards , 8.1 yards per carry , 18 first downs , 1 TD

Jonathon Taylor : 2033 rushing yards on 320 attempts
87 missed tackles forced, forced missed tackle 27.1% of carries
1,257 yards after contact avg 3.7 yards after contact (3rd)
61 carries of 10+ yards
29 carries of 15+ yards
13 carries of 20+ yards
3rd & short (1-3) yards Taylor had 26 attempts , 118 yards , 4.5 yards per carry , 17 first downs , 3 TD

Dobbins was very much the same focuses for Defenses as Taylor was and when grinding out runs on 3rd and short Dobbins was the better RB as well & the better RB on every down but first…

2 Likes