Lions waiving Jahlani Tavai

Late to the cut party! It simply had to be done, Tavai looked completely lost once again this preseason after losing 25 pounds.

In some ways I kinda feel bad for him. He wasn’t even good in college and yet got drafted in the 2nd round somehow. Most draft boards had him going in the 6th round.

Thankfully the new staff is moving on. Hope Tavai has a great life moving forward. Very pleased to never have to watch him miss a tackle or a blow another coverage. Addition by subtraction for sure.

25 years of almost exclusively whiffs on guys that are supposed to be key, long-term players.

Literally send your toddler waddling up to the podium with a draft card of whoever the consensus best player available is, and where would the Lions be?

As I recall it, virtually ALL of those guys were reaches. Smartest-guy-in-the-room picks. Super overreaches because our incompetent GMs think they are about to be snatched by somebody else, when nobody else is even thinking about them.

As bad as some of the 1st-round picks have been, it’s the 2nd-round wasteland that has really made this team what it is, decade over decade.

3 Likes

Tuesday, Aug 31, 2021. A day of infamy for the fans of the blue Lions. For in this moment, a true legend was snipped off thier team. No, not a legend in the ways of Barry, or Calvin, or Hanson. And while he will forever be remembered with the use of only one name, this legend will forever be remembered by Lions fans because he’s still, to this day, one of the very few players that EVERYBODY agreed upon. Never before or after will there be this much acceptance between Leo’s lovers as the day:
Tavai was cut.
(Poor guy. Wasn’t his fault Quinn thought he could play)

There’s never been a better Lion at running up to the pile after the play was over. Always in the frame, after the action, doing nothing. Tavai had it down to a sweet science.

4 Likes

He was always near the football….after the play was over.

2 Likes

Making that even more frustrating… is the fact that 21 of the 29 picks in round 2 over the past 25 years were selcted between pick #33 and #46.

In other words… they were selecting crap players in the top half of the 2nd round.

1 Like

phew, glad thats cleared up…

It’s got to suck being most famous for not being Randy Moss.

2 Likes

Always hated that pic

I remember when Terry Fair was picked… and I thought, “who the hell drafts a 5’9” tall CB in the 1st round?"

Then the talking heads on TV said… “but he can return kicks”… and I knew the Lions were hosed.

1 Like

Yep I remember it well, I was like wtf you kidding me.

He was a better returner then CB

1 Like

Bye Felicia !!!

I remembering questioning Tavai’s game his rookie year and being lamb-basted by posters saying I was wrong. I agreed to step-back and take a wait-n-see approach. It’s unfortunate to see him flame-out, it really is. I can’t say that I’m surprised but it’s just another unfortunate wasted pick and another step backwards.

1 Like

I remember I was in a movie theater when we were on the clock in that round. I wanted Greedy Williams so unbelievably bad, and I was sitting waiting for the movie to start, and right before it started, it said “Jahlani Tavai”. All I did for the entire length of the movie was think to myself “who the hell is that guy, and why did we take him?”

I just hope he’s fast enough to go through the doorway on his way out so that if he throws the door open, it doesn’t slam on his face and keep him in the building.

1 Like

What was the movie dang it!!?!

2 Likes

Yea, he had a sack in his first game even, I think that got some of our hopes up and it was all downhill from there. lol

I think it was Endgame but don’t quote me on that.

1 Like

All too common ‘round these parts.