Lions war room celebration of first-round pick somewhat muted with just a few hugs

1 Like

I believe they cut to the room well after the initial response.

4 Likes

Yea, the future inside the den draft focus will show more

5 Likes

Well to be honest. I think they got who they wanted just not as big of a steal.

Also they may have been hoping to get Verse and got the second guy on their list. We will never know. While in the first 3 drafts I feel like the Lions got their number 1 ranked guys all 3 years. And it felt like last draft they got their 1-2-3 and maybe 4th ranked guys in the draft. Which is kind of crazy.

So I could see how they might have been not as pumped as they were used to getting exactly what they wanted.

1 Like

Quite possible.

Looking forward to it.

My guess is that the Lions were willing to sit tight while Mitchell and Arnold were still on the board. Once Mitchell was taken, I think the urgency started to kick in to land Arnold. I could definitely see them wanting Verse too. Who knows…

1 Like

There were some indications that Dallas wanted Mitchell at No. 24, but once the Eagles got him at No. 22, they had more of an incentive to trade down.

I thought so too, but if you believe Brad, he said they had a quite a big difference between Arnold and the next guy.

1 Like

I would love to get a summary of what they were planning each draft and how it actually went. I also agree that they were prepared to pay a lot to get one of those 2. I think the sting of last years draft was still fresh.

2 Likes

I had never heard Arnold speak before yesterday. I try to watch prospect interviews when I can just to get a feel for the player’s intangibles, but didn’t watch too many this year. I can see how they fell in love. He seems to have the perfect demeanor for a corner.

3 Likes

Draft room is a little more seasoned and mature now. Been there, done that. Dallas extorted out a high price. DETROIT got their player. Will be interesting to see how Holmes feels when seeing players available with that Minnesota 3RP, and his inability to trade up higher in the second with no 3RP’s now.

I’ve got more of an issue with trading the Lions 3rd Rd pick for Carlton Davis, who is on a one year deal, than giving up the Hock 3rd Rd pick for Arnold, who will likely be here at least five years.

Downside of having cameras in the green room. “They didn’t do (this or that), therefore their excitement isn’t on the same level.”
Nah. Just a dif year. Dif demeanor.

1 Like

Considering the analogy (joke) that the draft has been Detroit’s “Super Bowl” year after year, a so-called muted reaction indicates to me the team is top flight now. And all about finally having people who make the smartest business decisions in all aspects.

This is a clickbait piece. The writer knows full well they cut into that feed late, he just wants clicks.

Huh? Sting? What sting?

I truly believe they wanted Witherspoon. Not that the overall draft was bad because it was amazing. But I think if he falls to 6 they take him.

So my point was that the Lions had plans to upgrade CB last draft. And they missed on the guy they wanted. So when the opportunity arose this draft to get a young talented CB they jumped at it based on the miss last draft. That was the point of my comment.

Listen you got to have about 20 back up plans that are constantly changing and morphing. If this years draft does not prove that I am not sure what does. Everyone had a man crush on Cooper and yet no one took him in the 1st round…and even the Lions passed to get a more true cover corner. So one never knows how it will all play out.

They did.

Ah! You truly don’t believe Brad and Dan.
Gotcha.
Whatever you need to believe.