Lions working on new deal with Hock

Only if you don’t replace them in FA…

1 Like

Kept thinking the same thing reading this thread lol

2 Likes

You replace them with another 1 year player with upside. You are essentially getting free comp picks doing it this way.

Plus your comp picks can turn into more comp picks if they sign a big contact after becoming FA’s.

The goal is to essentially be getting a free top 100 pick every year. Over time, that make a huge difference on your roster. Obviously you are going to miss on some of those guys but some are going to hit as well. These guys are young & hungry for that big 2nd contract. Couple that with the teams current culture and you can see it’s a winning formula.

Can someone link the rule that is being offered as a reason why we wouldn’t be eligible for a comp pick if Chark moves on in FA after 2022?

Well that’s totally inaccurate.

Magic beans !!!
Hungry Give Me GIF by Naomi Maria

1 Like

The rule in the CBA that covers comp picks is, Appendix V | NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) | Over The Cap

Not going to read through it, but Nick at OTC does a great job with his projections laying out his work on his calculations. Here is a link to everything that Nick does with the comp system, Compensatory Picks | Over the Cap.

In laymen’s terms, every player with 4 or more accrued season and their contract expires (not cut)
become an Unrestricted Free Agent. If you lose more UFA’s (your players with expiring contracts sign with other teams) than outside UFA’s that you sign (players from other teams signing with you), then you are eligible to receive a comp pick. The max comp picks per team is 4.

If Chark signs with another team and we sign Jessie Bates, we don’t get a comp pick. But if Chark signs with another team and we don’t sign any outside UFA’s, we will be eligible for a comp pick.

4 Likes

Right but doesn’t the money/contracts UFA sign also determine compensation?

That’s pretty ambitious. Walker and Chark would have only qualified for a 5th, Harris a 6th.

3 Likes

Yes, APY is the biggest factor. It’s all broken down by Nick on those pages, he is the Compensatory Pick guru.

I guess I should have circled back to the original question because I’m still not clear on that, is Chark eligible for compensatory picks if we let him walk?

3rd round comp pick is a little ambitious. Walker and Chark would only qualify as 5th’s in 2023 and Harris would have qualified 6th based on their APY’s.

I think Detroit has only gotten two 3rd’s, one for Golladay and one for Suh. Hard to say what Chark is going to sign for, but I’d guess a 4th, 3rd on the high side, 5th probably on low side.

1 Like

Yes, he is eligible for a comp pick.

2 Likes

I believe the answer is a yes, dependent on what moves the Lions make.

Right, but there were comments to the effect that he wasn’t eligible in any case and I wasn’t aware of any reason why that would be the case. I would be surprised if the Lions dove into the deep end of FA next year, and tend to agree with DeadStroke that his value is likely to end up as a 4th round comp, which could become a 5th round comp depending on any lower level signings the Lions might make next off season. Still, with the change in rules and ability to trade those picks they carry some decent weight in trade up scenarios as well as trades for existing players on other teams like our deal for Brockers.

I think this is the section that would prohibit us getting a compensatory pick for Chark.

“8. No UFA shall qualify as a CFA unless and until the maximum possible term of the player’s contract (“Maximum Possible Term”) has expired, and all other requirements have been satisfied. The Maximum Possible Term of any Player Contract shall be determined as of the date of such contract’s execution and shall include all years of the contract (including, without limitation, option years and voidable years).”

2 Likes

I’m not trying to be snarky, but you do understand you only get awarded comp picks if you don’t sign anyone of equal value right? So yes if you let FA walk and don’t sign anyone to replace them you can sometimes get a free mid round pick or two. Not really the optimal path in my eyes

4 Likes

Chark’s contract contains two void years. That doesn’t effect his contract, he will still be a UFA.

If Chark signed a 5yr contract. After the 2nd year, Chark renegotiates his contract so that after his current 3rd season, he becomes a UFA (4th and 5th year void), he would not be eligible for the comp pick.

I think that’s where people in the media get confused by voidable years.

If Chark qualifies for a 5th and we sign a 7th, it’ll just cancel out, there won’t be a net value pick.

2 Likes

So basically we should expect no net gain.

From The Basics and Methodology of Projecting the NFL’s Compensatory Draft Picks, so if there weren’t enough picks for all 32 comp picks and we qualified for a net value pick as described below, it would be one of very last picks in the draft.

But, Anzalone could qualify as a 7th (which would cancel the 7th signed first, leaving Chark comp open), Jamaal Williams could qualify, Amani O will qualify (if we don’t extend), others. Too many variables to comment now. Need to see how everyone performs in season. To much speculation right now.

Additional Compensatory Picks

In addition to the regular compensatory picks described above, there are three other types of compensatory picks that may potentially be awarded:

• The formula will occasionally award a “net value” compensatory pick, as explained in App. V, §5, for a team if that team loses and gains an equal number of CFAs, but the sum of the FNV of the CFAs lost is 300 or more points greater than the sum of the FNV of the CFAs gained. Net value compensatory picks are always 7th round picks, and they are always placed in order immediately after the regular 7th round compensatory picks.
  • If, after awarding both regular and net value compensatory picks, there are less than 32 picks awarded, the formula will award “supplemental” compensatory picks to ensure that the total number of compensatory picks is always exactly 32. These supplemental picks are awarded in the order of what would be the eighth round of the draft, if an eighth round existed.
  • 2020 Resolution JC-2A, adopted November 10, 2020, awards additional compensatory picks to teams who have minority coaches or executives hired by other teams as head coach or general manager.

Don’t let Hock walk

2 Likes