List your biggest FOMO player

Can’t really put the Giants win-loss record on OBJ.

2014 - OBJ had 90 catches and 1300 yards in 12 games as a rookie.
His supporting cast on offense was Rashad Jennings (3.8ypc) and Andrew Williams (3.3ypc) at RB.
The #2 WR on that team was stone-hands Reuben Randle.
Larry Donnell was the top TE on the team, and he was like molasses in January.

2015 - OBJ had 96 catches and 1450 yards and 13 TDs.
Top rushers were Rashad Jennings (4.4 ypc) and Andrew Williams (2.9 ypc) at RB.
The #2 WR was still Reuben Randle.
Will Tye became the top TE that year.

Imagine how bad the offense would have been without OBJ.

Ironically… from 2013 to 2018 (year before OBJ draft to his last year in NY)… the Giants spent 11 of their 19 picks in rounds 1-3 on the OL and DL… and that didn’t help them win either.

OL and DL picks included:
Justin Pugh
Johnathan Hankins
Damontre Moore
Weston Richburg
Jay Bromley
Ereck Flowers
Owamagbe Odighizuwa
Dalvin Tomlinson
Will Hernandez
Lorenzo Carter
BJ Hill

The others?

OBJ
Landon Collins
Eli Apple
Sterling Shepard
Darian Thompson
Evan Engram
Davis Webb
Saquon Barkley

OBJ was their best draft pick and made more of an impact than any other player they drafted in the past 10 years. The Giants failure to draft other good players is the reason they had trouble winning.

And… even when they moved on from OBJ, he had enough value to get them a 1st, a 3rd, and starting safety in Peppers.

Top WRs make $20+ mill per year, and above average WRs make $15+ mill per year.
That alone means WRs have the positional value to be worthy of drafting in the top 10 picks.
The key… like all positions… is that the player has to be good enough to warrant the selection.

The very next pick was Aaron Donald

What is considered a reach? Hypothetical we grab him at 7 and he goes on to have a HOF 12 year career, is that a reach? Just asking because that is how I view Parsons.

7 vs 10 or 12 is not much of a difference, especially if you truly believe in a guy

1 Like

He would have been a great pick as well. Giants probably passed because they favored large DTs like Hankins, Tomlinson, and they added Snacks Harrison as a UFA 2 years later.

However… I was not implying that OBJ was the best pick in the draft.
I was pointing out that he produced up to the level of where he was picked… and his position value was also worthy of a top 10 pick. Even after signing a $20 mill/year deal, the Browns gave up the equivalent of a top 10 pick when they traded the 17th pick, a 3rd rounder, and Peppers for him.

That is quite the statement. I think Parsons might be a better pass rusher than inside linebacker from watching his film. And pass rushers do impact the game in a massive way, so you could be onto something.

J-Will. He’s our “■■■■ you” guy. He brings an added dimension to the offense, especially in short yardage and late in games (possibly protecting a lead).

It’s not just who he is, but where he can likely be drafted (early 2nd).
We get a nasty ass OT, and have this dude slamming the football up the Packers ass sideways - mean and ugly. I want us to dominate up front and force them to stack against the run to get our WRs in man coverage and/or loose coverages often. Would suck for a defense from going from the problems Swift brings to the table, to adjusting to what J-will brings. Lots of mental focus and emotional will-power to deal with that.

Like when Billups and/or Hamilton went to the bench and here come James and Hunter. Completely new set of problems that require a completely different mindset. Frazzles and discombobulates people.

We know Swift will be used a ton in the receiving game.
We know KJ will be hurt by the third game.
While the other J-will is pretty B/B+ at everything, the new J-Will will bring an entirely new set of problems to the table.

Plus…
All 3 of them can catch out of the backfield amply.
All 3 of them can block amply.
All 3 of them can run amply, both between the tackles and on the outside.

Entire playbook open 100% of the time.
Might even see Swift in the slot sometimes.
Might even see 2 RB sets 20% of the time, or so.

Nasty, unpredictable, versatile, hostile, agile…effective.

This is why I want to trade back and still get a badass WR, J-Will, and OT.

Average-ish D, with a really nice freakin’ O. Borderline playoff team with tons of draft capital and cap room to seriously move the needle next offseason.

Shake’n’Bake, MFrz!
Go Lions!

1 Like

Word. I think the spirit of the conversation however was, assuming each player -does- achieve greatness. Which one would you regret the most

IMHO I think a great DT is more valuable than a great WR. That goes, IMO for a great T as well as LB

I would rather have Von Miller than CJ for example. Or even Joe Thomas for that matter…The wild card is the QBs. It’s possible that Lance turns out to be the next Warren Moon. But I tend to think the Lions are going to roll with Goff for several years. So that’s a FOMO I’m willing to FMO on

1 Like

I could be wrong as well, it wouldn’t be the 1st time.

1 Like

Same here I’m wrong often, but I’m sure we have both nailed some predictions as well and that’s what makes message boards fun.

Has Parsons been cleared of all the allegations he was facing? I do think he’s the best defensive player in the entire draft, I’m with you on that. Some of the stuff I read was concerning though in regards to his off the field behavior.

Yes. He was never actually named as a defendant. Additionally four separate investigations from the school and DA have concluded the witness was unreliable and the claims weren’t backed by evidence

1 Like

This is what I want. I want the lions to finally build an elite offensive line. It’s unreal how many roster holes an elite offensive line can cover up.

2 Likes

CJ was one of four NFL players in history to get into the HOF under 35.

Having one of the best WRs in all of history didn’t get us more than a wild card loss.

I may be wrong. But I think a DT, DE, LB or even OT with a similar level of greatness, will affect the team overall in a more positive effect than a WR

While I agree, how comfortable are you that Sewel can play RT? He has never taken a snap at RT or played on the right side. He was a left guard in high school and moved to left tackle in college. He has 16 games at LT. I think we can get a right tackle in the 2nd that can step in and still give us a elite line

Just look at KC up until the superbowl had a very good o line and then in the superbowl missing both OTs Mahommes ran his ass off trying to keep that offense afloat. An offense that up until then with both OTs looked really good with guys like damien williams and mecole hardman etc. A elite o line would let goff have a good chance with williams/perriman/hock/swift/williams/cephus and maybe a 2nd or 3rd rd wr

There are four LB’s that look very good to me:
Parsons
JOK
Collins
Bolton
I fear missing out on a LB. Again. I wanted Mayo, I wanted Willis. I wanted Kuechly. I don’t know which of these four I’ll regret missing out on, but I think its at least one of them.

Sewell is talented for sure, but the more I watch his film, the more I think he might be better off as a guard, his ability to pull and get to the second level and finish is one of his main strengths.

1 Like

Who’s this Devante Smith guy?.. lol

I love WR - Devonta Smith he’s my second favorite player in the draft. But I’d be ok missing out if we landed Waddle or another great WR instead.

I also love RB Jevonte Williams. He’s one of my favorites in the draft but I’m convinced we’re missing out on him.

My guy is Micah Parsons. I think he’s going to be a stud and we desperately need improved LBer play and I don’t think there’s a LBer in this draft that compares. I think he instantly changes the identity of our defense as a whole. We need that.

1 Like

If we drafted Sewell that high it would be to play LT.

Decker would be your right tackle and he has played at RT.

But then we lose Decker when his contract is up because he wants to be a LT

Is Sewell that much of an upgrade over Decker then adding another top seven prospect would be?

1 Like

He’s currently under contract until he hits the age 31. He does however have an opt out after the 2022 season just before he turns 30.

I think Sewell is an upgrade but I don’t think that’s the argument. I think the argument is that after the 2022 season your probably looking for a new starting LT anyway so why not get him now when you can get one of the best ones available?

Personally I’d take Parsons first but that’s me.