Lynn likes Goff Decision Making

I know Jared has a very talented arm. But out on the field, [I like the decisions that he’s making]. He’s taking what the defense is giving him. And that’s what good quarterbacks do, they’ll just take what you give them and then they’ll go over the top when they’re supposed to. And that’s kind of the way I see us operating.”

2 Likes

No one is expecting Goff to have Stafford’s arm or confidence. This offense is being built in a way where having a risk-taking gunslinger under center wouldn’t necessarily be a positive.

That being said, I’m slightly concerned about the reports of Goff’s unwillingness to throw deep.

It seems like this offense is going to make its living on underneath stuff to TEs, RBs, and slot receivers. That’s fine, but I think it’s going to be incumbent upon Goff to make the D pay when they start clamping down too much on the shorter plays.

It’s still early, and Goff has proven in the past that he’s got the physical capability to be a good chunk yardage QB. But the early camp reports seem to support those who are saying that he’s lost his deep passing confidence.

3 Likes

I know he is capable of the deep ball and there has been some video of him doing it in practice, but not enough for those that have watched Stafford for 13 years.

Looking at Lynn some more, he has been apart of some of the most run heavy offenses throughout his career. San Diego was a bit more balanced. I have a feeling he will try and establish the run every game which means Goff will only be throwing for 3rd downs and if the Lions are behind.

Goff is pretty savvy about learning what the media narrative is and using it to his advantage. Right now everyone is focused on his lack of deep ball. That’s a pretty good narrative to play along with and once the season starts, knock it down on it’s ass and shock teams for a few games with the deep ball, then switch to a run/short stuff New Orleans offense.

Can’t wait to see what happens. I’m trying not to let the narrative bother me about a guy I’ve seen throw a terrific deep ball for 6 out of the last 7 years (excluding 2016 completely). Some Rams fans are saying ‘told you so’ on Goff because of the Lions media reports…

2 Likes

Sounds like a excuse, for all the reports about how he can’t throw it deep or hasn’t, Damage control. I’ll bet this is going to be a drink and dunk offense and boring , defense better be really good.

Where have you seen the bolded part of your post in media reports or Goff himself? That context seems opposite of what Goff has stated numerous times in the last week and what Lynn said.

Just curious if that was you inserting your belief regarding Goff or something you have actually read, not arguing just clarifying.

It’s referred to in the original article from theathletic that if Goff has 2 open WRs, one deep and one short, he will take the short one most of the time, whereas Stafford would take the deep one.

Here is yesterday’s article from prideofdetroit. Not sure ‘unwillingness’ is the right word. Lynn calls it strategic, but as an OC that favors a heavy run team, that decision may fit with the type of game he wants to call.

Quarterbacks

It was another forgettable day for the Lions’ offense, and some issues are starting to become regular. Jared Goff looks hesitant to throw into coverage and is clearly more comfortable checking down. The best example came during a full-team drill. Goff got the safety on one side of the ball to drop into the box leaving Breshad Perriman deep in one-on-one coverage. He didn’t have a lot of separation, but it was a favorable look for the offense. Goff, instead, chose to check down to Jamaal Williams for a short gain.

We have had two padded practices with a new offensive system, new qb, new coaches, new wr’s and we’re wondering why we’re not connecting on deep passes? I am way more concerned with having an actual running game. Ive seen all the passing stats I could ask for the last 12 years to include a 5000 yd 40 td season and we still couldn’t win a playoff game.

12 Likes

Short pass = high percentage

Deep = low ….

What wrong with going short and still moving the ball with better TOP and resting the D?

10 Likes

Nothing in my opinion! Fans want/crave the deep ball because it is exciting just like hitting home runs in baseball.

I don’t think it is close to the most important element to win games.

That said, without it, teams will crowd the line and have an advantage (as they did against the Rams last year).

I guess I’m annoyed by this whole “Goff isn’t getting it done” narrative and Lynn is the first one inside the building to address it.

2 Likes

Seems this article is saying that it’s less of a Goff confidence issue and more that Lynn wants the reads to progress low to high, even if the deep route is open.

It’s probably a smart choice considering that even an on target ball is more likely to be dropped deep than with other teams.

In other words, who do you trust more? Hockinson on the shallow crosser or Perriman in one-on-one and deep.

1 Like

Doesn’t work. Brady barely has 7 SuperBowls doing this.

13 Likes

This whole deep ball thing is nothing but a talking point for the pundits. An offense that relies on deep balls would be highly volatile. Admittedly if you got Mahomes and Tyreek Hill maybe that works but safe to say for the Lions, it should be an offense that controls time of possession and moves the chains.

1 Like

Bingo.

Basically we have “Jared blue eyes” all over again ,say what ever you want but McVay moved on from Goff for this same reason. You can pretend this is a good thing but like the rams if your not a threat to go deep, it makes keying on all the underneath stuff easyer to defend. I know running the football sounds good but without the deep pass even that gets harder. And how about them back ups there making a few plays down field. This is Goff’s MO he’s the dink and dunk game manger that so many said we need. we’re about to see. But these reports are exactly what was said by the rams and McVay. Now there coming true and people are making excuses . So far Jared is exactly who McVay and others said he was.

Here is an even more in-depth response to Lynn’s comments:

1 Like

When did McVay say that deep ball was the reason he moved on from Goff?

I also find it funny that people take these training camp reports and think they know what the offense is going to look like come September.

2 Likes

I like what the rookie says…The Sun God speaks!!

“I think we have huge big-play capability,” rookie receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown said. “I mean, once you can run the ball – we have a great O-line, great running backs – and play-action pass is huge. So if you can establish a good run game, I think the shots will come later. I think we have a huge potential in that big-play ability.”

1 Like

Well it’s not like we can’t do it. We have seen he can

In 2018, Goff had the best completion percentage in the entire NFL on passes over 20 air yards. Goff had the 4th best accuracy between 20 and 30 yards among QBs with at least 20 attempts. He was 10th best on throws over 30 yards among QBs with at least 20 attempts. He was 4th best on clean pocket throws for QBs with at least 20 attempts and 5th best on tight window deep throws. So, in a wide variety of measurements, Goff was a top 10 deep ball passer in 2018.

Stats from this article here that’s worth a read

3 Likes

One of the takeaways from Lynn’s conference that I really appreciate is that Ragnow will do the line calls, taking that particular aspect off goff’s shoulders. The result should be that Goff doesn’t have as much pressure on him at the line of scrimmage.

2 Likes