Lynn likes Goff Decision Making

That’s fair. There is a lot to be proven still.

What coach was talking to him?

I saw that Lynn was talking about the lack of deep ball being intentional (which could be read as being over defensive)
I saw that Dan Campbell was talking to Goff all through the Friday practice but nothing that reported on what they talked about? Was there something that said DC was asking Goff or talking to Goff about the deep ball specifically?

This seems to suggest that campbell wasn’t happy in his decisions. And that Co insides with the check down thing.

Did you read the whole article ?

I am glad to hear he can throw that ball witch he threw some nice balls. So yeah I’m concerned some, playing scared isn’t no better then playing to careless.

I’m pretty sure the split stats bear out under scrutiny that Goff was better at the deep throws that even Stafford in 2017-2018

Then the Oline tanks, he loses his LT, his RB and deep threat WR and suddenly he can’t throw the deep ball?

And two days in padded practice, with all the x receivers out and people are worried he can’t throw deep?

Good grief kids. This isn’t a skills competition. What’s important is moving the chains, decision making and accuracy

1 Like

No I hadn’t seen that article posted anywhere.

It’s interesting I did read several other writers accounts and several youtubers and none of them saw the situation the same way. Most of them were positive, even Kyle from mlive who has been the most negative on Goff overall.

The article below is the closest I could find to that account. Basically it attributes Goff to allowing AJ Parker to almost intercept (opposite of ramswire). They mention the Campbell conversation but don’t call it animated in any way.

In the final 11-on-11 period of the day, Goff flashed some more aggressiveness when targeting T.J. Hockenson over the middle in triple coverage, threading the needle for a perfect throw. Unfortunately, the session closed on a sour note when he hesitated, double-clutched, and nearly threw an interception to AJ Parker (who was repping at second-team nickel with Elder out) on a simple out route.

Coach Dan Campbell was noticeably paying closer attention to Goff today and was seen pulling him aside for conversations more than once, which could also be a factor in the new approach from Goff.

Bottom line: It was nice to see more aggressiveness from Goff today, and if he can weed out his hesitation by gaining comfort with his receivers, it’ll go a long way towards him finding success.

1 Like

So no one knows what was said between DC & JG. the only thing left is speculation. DC might have been giving it to him fir not being better on deep (but he had 3 tds) or DC might have been praising him for 3 tds. No one ducking knows. Some will lean towards negativity. Some may lean towards positivity. It all depends on how lionized a poster is.

1 Like

Different practice.

As long as he’s putting 6 on the board instead of settling for field goals I don’t care how short or long the TD passes are!

1 Like

There is something there. I participated in my second camp practice today and I believe there is something to be concerned about.

I’m going to do a write up about my camp thoughts shortly. Incase anyone wants to hear my opinions so far.

Be on the look out for it if you do.

2 Likes

@Air2theThrown Yeah let’s hear it or will it be in it’s own thread?

Here’s the thread - I just finished typing it all out.

Thinking on it more, I’d be surprised if Campbell is already going off on Goff based on his performance so far. This is a brand new team with a lot of moving parts and Goff has been pretty consistent and doing what is needed so far.

That said, I watched the DC post practice speech today and he did seem more stressed and less jovial than usual and only 5 minutes long.

I thought so too. Haven’t all of his previous press appearances been in the mornings before practice or before training camp started? The effort expended at practice could account for his demeanor.

Roger Goodell was there too and a lot more
Media coverage as well. That does have a way of wearing on you.

However DC did seem more agitated today.

Or it could be that his prized QB 9 days in is still not willing to throw to a open wr that’s more then 20 yrds down field. In stead he continues to check down to the much easier throw. Maybe he thought he would progress by now but we’re still just checking down to the easier throw. Maybe he really doesn’t want his QB to be check down charlie on every play. Maybe he wants his QB to throw the deep ball when it’s there and check down when it’s not. Maybe Checking down to pad his stats isn’t his plan .

Campbell just came from Brees who had the weakest arm of all top tier qbs. He was the king of dink and dunk.

Let’s see how that bills preseason game goes. Goff shredded them last season in the 2nd half almost leading the rams on their biggest comeback In the McVay era. That’s if Campbell plays starters much

1 Like

Why speculate when we don’t have to? And so what if DC wanted Goff to throw deep on that one play? That’s what practice is for.

He could very well do that. And yeah can’t wait for that game.

There’s a difference between being a legit threat to get chunk yardage and heaving up 50+ yard bombs ten times a game.

You can win some games with dink and dunk. In fact, if you can execute those plays flawlessly, you can’t be stopped. However, defenses bear down on those plays, and it takes a quarterback with legendary accuracy like Brees or Brady to be able to continue being effective once a defense has committed to limiting that. When your passing attack is giving you 3 or 4 yards a play, there is just no room for error.

The point several of us have made regarding bigger plays isn’t that Goff needs to become gunslinger Matt. Rather, it’s that it seems ultra-obvious that defenses are going to quickly key in to take away the underneath stuff. If Goff can’t or won’t make a 20-yard throw to a single-covered Perriman who has a step on his defender, then what’s to prevent the safeties from continuing to cheat down? While I like Goff and think he’ll be a welcome change from Matt on the short precision throws, I don’t think he’s Drew Brees where he can accurately take the 3.5 yards the defense gives him all game long with zero mistakes for the win. He needs to be able to keep the defense honest so Hock and Swift can wreck shop.

The other part of this is personnel. The only thing our outside WRs bring above replacement level is speed. It doesn’t seem like a very cohesive plan or the best use of resources to have burners on the outside if you’re not going to take advantage of their speed on a regular basis. That’s not Goff’s fault, but it’s a part of the reality of this team.

2 Likes

Is this the occasion where Campbell lost it in the 2 minute drill throwing down his clip board as Dose of Dion describes it? at the 1296 second mark.