Lynn likes Goff Decision Making

sad henry rollins GIF
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Some teams throw towels at you to distract… some teams use other methods…

As to Lynn being “run heavy,” I think a couple things factor into that. It’s been said before, so not like I’m Mr. Genius, but in Buffalo he had Tyrod Taylor running all over the place, so quite a few of the “carries” was the QB (95 carries for 580 yds in 15 games which was more yards than Deandre Swift had last year). You will not be getting that with Goff, full stop. Next was that he had a rookie QB last season, so I think it’s natural IF you can run the ball, to do that when you are starting a rookie QB. I know we are in Detroit and so we never had that luxury since Barry, but IF you do, it’s smart to let the kid take the pressure off by handing it off a lot. Now we’ve built an awesome O-line and have IMHO one of the most dynamic RB’s in the league in Swift. So it won’t surprise me if we do indeed run a lot, but I don’t think we will be too far from 50/50 balance.

As to gunning it deep all the time, yeah that’s just not where games are won. I don’t care how big of an arm you have and Goff DOES have a big arm, when you put a 50 yard bomb in flight all those seconds the ball is in the air, just gives the secondary more time to close on it. It’s fun to watch those highlights, but they are just that. The games are won and lost by moving the chains and that is done from the LOS to 10 yard increments. I want W’s and most elite teams win with a thousand cuts, and a sound defense and running game, playing mistake free football. My wife is a Steeler fan so I watch most of their games. I don’t know how many times I was like DUMBASS after yet another 40 yard bomb fell harmlessly to the ground on 3rd and 3. It was like clockwork. It’s just stupid. Take your shots when they are there, for sure. Yes you have to be able to make teams pay deep if they put all their chips on the LOS. But I’m not fretting of the thought of less three and outs and we saw way too many of those with Stafford’s bazooka arm.

3 Likes

That’s their new tight end.

If only there was recent evidence of perhaps the greatest QB of all time winning multiple SB’s without ever really going deep or having a big arm and relying on dink n dunk offense…oh well, guess we’ll never know if such an offense can be highly effective.

2 Likes

He is the greatest QB of all time but that offensive strategy is only good with a great defense (which had always been the strength of his teams). This past year was the first time he got elite weapons at all offensive skill positions.

this ‘Goff doesn’t or can’t throw deep’ thing is pretty silly. In fact his past stats bear out he has, and has been one of the more accurate passers in the league throwing deep until his Oline tanked in 2019. Last year he lost his LT halfway through the season and didn’t have a deep threat

But in 2017 and 2018 Goff had 8.5 air yards per attempt. Stafford didn’t hit that number in the regular season until 2019.

www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GoffJa00.htm

Then there’s this:

Jeff Risdon
August 6, 2021 1:47 pm ET

"A day after offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn defended the relative lack of deep throws in practice thus far, his offense opened up drills with a series of deep-ball reps. If it wasn’t deliberate, it sure felt that way.

Jared Goff was decent in the drill. He uncorked a couple of very nice corner routes that had no problem hitting 50 yards in the air. Goff also rifled a deep seam laser to Quintez Cephus, who nicely played off the outside leverage from the coverage to get open to the inside. Backup Tim Boyle connected on a few nice deep shots, too. But Goff looked great in dealing throws all over the deeper realms of the field."

1 Like

Well not to be out done by Stafford, Goff threw into triple coverage yesterday to Hock…

I guess this means it’s just training camp and we can’t make a season out of one good or bad throw ;-).

1 Like

If he was Stafford, the board would be lit up with people complaining that he through it late and behind him, forcing him to catch it backwards and taking away his momentum.

That offensive strategy is very conducive to having a great defense. If your team’s offense can stay on the field with long time consuming drives, your defenses’ numbers will look pretty good.

1 Like

Why only post part of the article ?

"A day after offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn defended the relative lack of deep throws in practice thus far, his offense opened up drills with a series of deep-ball reps. If it wasn’t deliberate, it sure felt that way.

Jared Goff was decent in the drill. He uncorked a couple of very nice corner routes that had no problem hitting 50 yards in the air. Goff also rifled a deep seam laser to Quintez Cephus, who nicely played off the outside leverage from the coverage to get open to the inside. Backup Tim Boyle connected on a few nice deep shots, too. But Goff looked great in dealing throws all over the deeper realms of the field.

But when the offense progressed to team drills (11 vs. 11), it’s as if the impressive early drill never took place. Goff consistently checked down almost immediately. On one rep he never even looked at Kalif Raymond on a wheel from the slot that the coverage botched. It should have been an easy pitch-and-catch deep TD. Instead, Goff forced a ball to a covered T.J. Hockenson underneath that left the Pro Bowl TE exposed to a kill shot from the LB if the defense was so motivated. Goff later missed seeing Tyrell Williams on a hitch route that sent outside CB Amani Oruwariye losing his footing.

After the drill was over and Goff had eschewed even trying the deep throw, Campbell animatedly approached the quarterback and they had a brief exchange that ended with both men walking away with some hotness in their steps. We couldn’t hear what was said but it was clear coach Campbell was not thrilled with some of Goff’s decisions with the ball."

You sure missed alot . You using a article defending his deep ball issue that goes on to say how it is such a issue the coach and him had words about it. Witch leads to believe there’s more of a problem then your saying.

@Tcmouse , your posts read negative in each that I’ve read. Is it hate for the Lions? Goff? Skepticism? Something else?

By most accounts I’ve seen Goff and the offense had a pretty darn good scrimmage today despite missing 4 WRs. 2x against 2nd defense and 1x against the 1st team. 3 for 3 TDs 12/17 on throws with longest only 20 yards.

Do you feel encouraged by this performance? Defense the problem? I just want to understand your core and if you are open to positivity or if this is your modus operandi all the time.

1 Like

Right?! It says he went 3 for 3 on TD drives and people are complaining he didn’t go deep more with Williams, Perriman and Cepheus all out…

2 Likes

I’m on a wait and see , I like hearing he can and he showed he can with some throws. But also think somethings there , and there must be or why is the coaching talking to him about it. posting just the positive part of a article and ignoring the part that don’t suite you. Is misleading. Almost every day I read about him not looking at the deeper guy and checking down. Now the coach is even talking to him yet some don’t even question Goff now he’s league mvp before he plays a down.
I was considered negative when I saw holes in Patricia way too. There obviously something to the deep ball thing or we wouldn’t be hearing so much about it, and now the head coach says something.

That’s not triple coverage.

1 Like

That’s fair. There is a lot to be proven still.

What coach was talking to him?

I saw that Lynn was talking about the lack of deep ball being intentional (which could be read as being over defensive)
I saw that Dan Campbell was talking to Goff all through the Friday practice but nothing that reported on what they talked about? Was there something that said DC was asking Goff or talking to Goff about the deep ball specifically?

This seems to suggest that campbell wasn’t happy in his decisions. And that Co insides with the check down thing.

Did you read the whole article ?

I am glad to hear he can throw that ball witch he threw some nice balls. So yeah I’m concerned some, playing scared isn’t no better then playing to careless.

I’m pretty sure the split stats bear out under scrutiny that Goff was better at the deep throws that even Stafford in 2017-2018

Then the Oline tanks, he loses his LT, his RB and deep threat WR and suddenly he can’t throw the deep ball?

And two days in padded practice, with all the x receivers out and people are worried he can’t throw deep?

Good grief kids. This isn’t a skills competition. What’s important is moving the chains, decision making and accuracy

1 Like

No I hadn’t seen that article posted anywhere.

It’s interesting I did read several other writers accounts and several youtubers and none of them saw the situation the same way. Most of them were positive, even Kyle from mlive who has been the most negative on Goff overall.

The article below is the closest I could find to that account. Basically it attributes Goff to allowing AJ Parker to almost intercept (opposite of ramswire). They mention the Campbell conversation but don’t call it animated in any way.

In the final 11-on-11 period of the day, Goff flashed some more aggressiveness when targeting T.J. Hockenson over the middle in triple coverage, threading the needle for a perfect throw. Unfortunately, the session closed on a sour note when he hesitated, double-clutched, and nearly threw an interception to AJ Parker (who was repping at second-team nickel with Elder out) on a simple out route.

Coach Dan Campbell was noticeably paying closer attention to Goff today and was seen pulling him aside for conversations more than once, which could also be a factor in the new approach from Goff.

Bottom line: It was nice to see more aggressiveness from Goff today, and if he can weed out his hesitation by gaining comfort with his receivers, it’ll go a long way towards him finding success.

1 Like

So no one knows what was said between DC & JG. the only thing left is speculation. DC might have been giving it to him fir not being better on deep (but he had 3 tds) or DC might have been praising him for 3 tds. No one ducking knows. Some will lean towards negativity. Some may lean towards positivity. It all depends on how lionized a poster is.

1 Like